Question about an RV - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Question about an RV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Tow dollies are a 700# PITA. Some RV parks won't allow you to store them at your site and require that they be parked in a seperate area. That means you unload the car, tow the dolly to the storage area, disconnect and drive back to you space to park. Other parks, and they are plenty, have pull through spaces so you don't have to disconnecct for one night.

They (Tow Dolly) also use a ball coupler type hitch. I don't know the GVW of the Murano, but I'm sure it is more than 2000# and with a dolly you are looking at the mechanical connection keeping the vehicle attached to the dolly and the mechanical connection of the hitch.

If it is just an overnight stay, that becomes a hassle (connecting the dolly, off loading and re-loading). That is why I bought a vehicle that can be flat towed. Again, look at towables here MotorHome Magazine: Making your RV travels easier.

You will need a tow bar and bracket instaled on the Towed vehicle, mine are invisible when the brackets are removed.

Diesel or gas, you will have no problem towing, however; it is a horsepower and torque to weight issue and the diesel have the gas unit beat in that department. They also last longer than gas engines and command a higher resale value. Here is one, but it has 130,000 miles for $33,495 1998 Allegro Bus By Tiffin 32 BUS DSL for Sale - D766.

Last edited by dunerunner; 11-11-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #22

Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nitrox,

Glass and I have had a Class C for the past 5 years and love them over the Class A. Dad has a Class A and during the summer when he is traveling he has a problem keeping the RV cool. With the big windows and large space the dash AC can't keep the whole unit cool. With our Class C we can pull the curtain and keep the cab cool while driving. I lived in a 35 foot 5th wheel for 3 years in DC and loved my camper, however for weekend trips or longer I would go with a RV rather than the 5th wheel as it is less complicated. I agree with Joe also, traveling in an RV is the best way to travel. Glass hated long trips and did everything she could to get out of going anywhere where we had a long drive but with the RV she can get up stretch, make something to eat, sit or lay on the couch and read or sit at the table and work on the computer. On trips you can stop where you want and not have to check in, unload the car and carry bags to the hotel room now you just push a button to run out the slide outs, plug in the electric or start the generator and you’re in business.

Here are some pics of Glasses and my new RV.

Scubie
camper-2-web-size-.jpg   camper-3-slide-out-web-size-.jpg   camper-4-queen-bed-web-size-.jpg   new-camper-2-web-size-.jpg  

Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwrednk View Post
But Pop is now becoming forgetfull as he has entered his 70's! (He peed all
over my toilet seat) after "saying he forgot that it lifted up"!!! I do not know
if I can trust him with a "live weapon anymore"! This was one of my warning
signs that he might not be a safe hunting partner ! I spent most of what I have saved to make this a memorable hunting trip/ vacation... but, I
doubt that I can trust him with a loaded weapon once again!
I hear ya,
sort of reminds me of Barney 5 on The Andy Griffith show,
Andy couldn't trust Barney so he only provided one round of ammo. Barey was forbidden to load it into his revolver before it was actually neccesary

Old 11-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3502 Times on 1933 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

That is not entering the 70's. That is the onset of Alzheimers and No, you can not trust him with a firearm. I have an 85 year old friend that can still detail strip his Thompson and 1911 and put them back together. My wife and I are both in our 70's and we still shoot, kayak and travel.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some of us go a different route. My tow vehicle is a V6 minivan, so size and weight of the toad is limited. Having been a member of a 'tiny trailer' forum, bought an open 5X10 utility trailer and am beginning to convert it to a "Jumbo Teardrop Toyhauler", to carry my MC along to events, and for living in on the road. Being little more than a box with cot and a few small necessities, weight will be well within TV limits.
A buddy has a Toyhauler TT, about 27' long, towed by his Toyota Tundra V8 truck. He's had it a year and has yet to actually use it! I joke that if the wife kicks him out, he still has a 'home'!