Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > question about ammunition coating.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default question about ammunition coating.

so I went to my local fishing spot today only to find out that it is closed off due to a tournament, so I came home and was just looking around at stuff on the net, and came across a page for the states gun laws. and on that site it says (Under Misc.)

It is unlawful to import, manufacture, possess, sell,
transfer, or acquire any teflon-coated bullet.

what would be the reason for someone to coat a bullet with teflon?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
so I went to my local fishing spot today only to find out that it is closed off due to a tournament, so I came home and was just looking around at stuff on the net, and came across a page for the states gun laws. and on that site it says (Under Misc.)

It is unlawful to import, manufacture, possess, sell,
transfer, or acquire any teflon-coated bullet.

what would be the reason for someone to coat a bullet with teflon?

Mostly because of popular media a lot of people believe that Teflon coated bullets have superior armor piercing capabilities.

And enough people have been misled about teflon coating that it is now illegal for non LE people to use and own these bullets in fear that it might be used against the police. In some states here in the U.S. at least.

The myth stems from the fact that real AP rounds indeed use a teflon cap to protect its rather pointy ogive and facilitate feeding in an automatic firearm. The teflon itself doesn't do any armor penetrating, in fact teflon is so soft it can be used as a lubricant.

Teflon coated lead slugs are only made because it shoots cleaner and deposits less lead on the rifling and makes the barrel easier to clean after use. It flies just as fast as a similarly weighing lead bullet if put over the same powder charge. It also wears the rifling less than FMJ rounds.

Teflon coated lead bullets usually are black.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so it nothing of any real importance other than just what people have been led to believe?

Old 09-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
so it nothing of any real importance other than just what people have been led to believe?
Yes.

In 1982, NBC ran a special on the bullets and argued that the bullets were a threat to police. Gun control organizations in the U.S. labeled Teflon-coated bullets "cop killers" because of the supposedly increased penetration the bullets offered against ballistic vests, used by LEO. Supporters of gun control believed that the Teflon coating was responsible for this increased penetration, despite the fact that the material is only an outer coating for the brass penetrator and usually peels off during its trajectory through the air.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it would sort of make sense if you looked at it as teflon being a lubricant and it moving through the barrel faster. but it still seems a little far-fetched for me to believe that it could pierce armor.

going by what you are saying, it doesn't make sense to me why anyone would want to coat their bullets. unless you were planning something you shouldn't be doing, I didn't know if it was of any benefit to hunting or what.

but anyway, I was just curious. I am getting a gun for hunting, target shooting. so this doesn't concern me to the least bit. Thanks for the Info.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #6

TEFLON has NOTHING to do with what a bullet will or will not penetrate.

GunCite-Gun Control: "Cop-killer" Bullets for the whole story.

The TEFLON was the lubricant used on the very hard bullets to keep from damaging the rifling inside the barrels...nothing more.

Some IGNORANT States have banned "Any Teflon coated bullet" as their legislators were too uninformed to understand the science involved.

They were never sold to the public and NO Cop has ever been killed by one.