Question! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Sometimes, just calling a home owner's insurance company would be considered a "claim" if discussing a problem.

Even if you don't get any money.

I had a "national" insurance company that dropped me. I put in a claim to replace shingles on a house I had in Louisiana. Sold that house and moved to Florida. After living there for a couple of years, I called about some water spots in the ceiling (I fixed them myself after finding the leak). I got a letter from the company saying that they were dropping me because I had 2 claims in 5 years (even though they were 2 different houses in different states).

The company I have now is the cheapest I could find (being dropped from an insurance company once automatically increases premiums for any new insurer).

Read the policy and see what it says about driveways. I don't recall such a situation addressed in mine.

Now look what you've done..I had the most messed up experience with a car ins company that your post reminded me of. Many moons ago I had my truck insured with a national insurance co. Gravel truck really messed it up and I had to get it replaced. Several years later while looking to see if another company could give me a better deal I moved my vehicles to another national company. After four months I got a letter saying I was dropped for not reporting a claim to them. I called and said I had never made a claim with them. THey replied I made a claim in the last 5 years. I said no, I've not had them for the last five years I just switched. I did tell the agent when talking about a new policy that I had a windshield replaced a few years ago. It was the first time in my life I had ever needed to make a claim on my insurance so it kind of stuck out. THey do ask about accidents and such. It wasn't a problem at the time but it sure got to be somehow later. Anyway I told them that they where not like good neighbors..they sucked!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #12

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

This is why I use only USAA for my insurance. If you are former military or active duty or Reserve and you're not using them go to USAA.com and switch NOW. Never had a problem ever. Had a power outage they had no qualms in paying me the max amount for my lost food. Cracked windshield call them and they send safelite out to repair it. My wife has had 2 accidents in 10 years I have had way too many speeding tickets never once have they ever raised our rates. We insure 2 cars a house and many other things through them.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #13

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
This is why I use only USAA for my insurance. If you are former military or active duty or Reserve and you're not using them go to USAA.com and switch NOW. Never had a problem ever. Had a power outage they had no qualms in paying me the max amount for my lost food. Cracked windshield call them and they send safelite out to repair it. My wife has had 2 accidents in 10 years I have had way too many speeding tickets never once have they ever raised our rates. We insure 2 cars a house and many other things through them.
I've had the exact same experience with USAA. Then I moved to Louisiana, and my rates went way beyond what everyone else was charging, even with the ex's accidents and my tickets.

I had to switch simply to keep my head above water. I went with the cheapest car insurance I could find, under the premise that I've never had to make a claim myself in over ten years.

USAA is awesome! Unless you move to Louisiana, where we have some of the higher rates in average in the nation. My agent even told me, "horrible roads, horrible drivers" when I asked why my rates more than doubled.

I know nothing about home owner's though. My renters policy didn't change.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #14

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
So, we own out first house. Have made two payments on homeowners insurance. Company had it inspected for their purposes. Now they want us to to redo our driveway. It's cracked from tree roots. They have given us 35 days to do so, or they will cancel our insurance. They didn't tell us until today. Not two premium payments ago. Is that even legal?!
Sounds alot like Farmers Insurance ? I had these guys for 22 years and their local inspector decided to drop by and take a look . I got a letter from them stating I had 30 days to install a hand rail on my 4 front stairs or they would cancel my policy on top of the yearly increased premiums . " bye bye" I canceled my home owners for my house and all my rental property, both vehicles , our life insurance policies on the wife, both kids and myself .They are the ones that lose with their shenanigans. I switched to my local Country Companies and they are great . We got more coverage for the same amount of money . Its not like my house is trash and the steps are falling in or anything like that , I have a very nice house that is kept up very well and in a decent neighborhood with lots of housing thats been updated and remodeled , Yes it was built in the late 1800s but its been remodeled from top to bottom in my 17 years there .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-30-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #15

Liked 744 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

I have USAA (Dad is a Vietnam Vet) for both my vehicles, homeowners, umbrella. Never had a claim, so dont know about that. But with 0= points , they had the lowest preniums by far.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 AM   #16

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Dad is a vet I'm not. It's through AAA, I have 35 days from 8/1/13 to fix. If we had time or money I would switch. They are the cheapest rate by far. It's not cheap for a 24 year old. 3 vehicles two with full coverage one with comprehensive, everything with low deductibles. I was planning in fixing it anyhow, just don't like that they are forcing it.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 AM   #17

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Snub them, rip out the concrete and put in gravel.
Tactical plus: any dumb ass who approaches your house will be heard easier.

You don't even have to rip it out, rent a jackhammer and make it into gravel.
Health plus: great exercise, but it's not like you need it.
But the tires that will be eaten by the wire...yikes! You'd have to pull all that out. So never mind.
orangello Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #18
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10993 Times on 4760 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

This is not a property issue- it is the LIABILITY part of a homeowner's policy. Tripping hazard.

When daughter got renter's insurance, they came to her house for inspection- threw a fit over wood stove (properly installed) Stove sits in an alcove- dry wall on metal studs, air vent in walls at floor and near ceiling. Sent them email, included photo, and copy of the illustration from NFPA standard, showing identical installation, advised them met or exceeded code.

Underwriter emailed me back- "Our guy says he has never seen that before."

I emailed him back "I'm sorry your staff has been poorly trained. You could enroll him in one of my classes- might help. Must be embarrassing."

No more comments- but they issued her policy.
People Like This 
Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #19
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

C3 is right. This is mot likely a liability issue. Since you mention it is near the street, the agent is probably picturing a local kid tripping on it and cutting himself up and then filing a huge claim. However, it could also be that they are not insuring your area/type of property/socio-economic group and just want to dump the policy. You will never know.

Kudos to c3 for educating the underwriter! Educate yourself and then fight like hell. Giving in often comes back to bite you in the long run. Any notes made on your account are probably shared amongst all companies, correct or not.

I have found all the national companies to be the same. They will insure you cheaply as long as you NEVER make a claim! People that make claims are troublemakers and they will work to kick them out. Insurance companies like American Family Insurance cost only slightly more, but actually pay claims and reward long-term loyalty. You also have an agent that will discuss problems without adding negative comments to your account. You can't get something for nothing and insurance is definitely an area where you get what you pay for, especially since it's nearly impossible to drive every day and have a home for 20 years and never have a claim!

When you are considering a policy with an insurer, do this: Google "(insurance company name) scam" and "(insurance company name) claim" and find out their tactics when a claim is made. No one is perfect, but I was shocked when I checked on my motorcycle insurance company, one that claims to understand the FLOw of riders, and found out they deny, delay and drop. I now pay twice as much ($110/yr to $230/yr) but to a company that pays claims and won't drop on first claim. Evaluate your underwriter and be honest about what you're paying for.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #20

Liked 3487 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 5398

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
I have USAA (Dad is a Vietnam Vet) for both my vehicles, homeowners, umbrella. Never had a claim, so dont know about that. But with 0= points , they had the lowest preniums by far.
0=Points........??? I just want to know how you get pulled over twice a week, and never get a ticket...