Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

So, we own out first house. Have made two payments on homeowners insurance. Company had it inspected for their purposes. Now they want us to to redo our driveway. It's cracked from tree roots. They have given us 35 days to do so, or they will cancel our insurance. They didn't tell us until today. Not two premium payments ago. Is that even legal?!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19798 Times on 11239 Posts
Likes Given: 49898

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
So, we own out first house. Have made two payments on homeowners insurance. Company had it inspected for their purposes. Now they want us to to redo our driveway. It's cracked from tree roots. They have given us 35 days to do so, or they will cancel our insurance. They didn't tell us until today. Not two premium payments ago. Is that even legal?!
i would be talking to another insurance agent for sure. i have never heard of such. cracked concrete in a driveway, even from tree roots is more cosmetic i would think.

but did they do the inspection prior to you making the payments or afterwards?
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 07-30-2013, 04:06 AM   #3

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

When I bought my house many years ago my driveway had more cracks than my ex girlfriend's grandmother. I never heard of anything like that before. Every state has their own insurance quirks. Maybe where you live if the insurance co. feels that there's a hazardous condition that may cause them to payout against a lawsuit then maybe they can pull that on you. I would think that the bank inspection when applying for a mortgage would have picked up on something that would have to be corrected. Don't panic and try contacting another insurance agent and see what they say. You might be better off cancelling your current co. and going with another. Yours sounds like an Allstate trick. Maybe a can of pre mixed cement and a trowel could solve the problem rather than a major job. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

I'd be looking for another ins company.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #5

I'm not sure when the inspection was completed. I'm sure it was prior to the closing. They are worried about liability if someone trips and falls. The cracks are not that bad.

It's AAA insurance.

Can't afford to look for different insurance ATM so will just repair with quickcrete when I'm off the boat.

The cracks are near the road not close to the house, so the house has no potential damage from it.

Just aggravating. I have 23 days left on the river, not sure when there "mandated 35 days" started. Wife will be seeking clarification tomorrow and demanding more days.

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #6

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

If the cracks are on level ground and can be patched then that should be good enough. If roots are raising up the ground then that could be a problem. Them damn trees belong in the woods.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 912 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is it cracks in the concrete or places where the concrete is heaved up from tree roots? Either way not sure what the beef is unless it is a trip hazard for people trespassing on your place.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U
Is it cracks in the concrete or places where the concrete is heaved up from tree roots? Either way not sure what the beef is unless it is a trip hazard for people trespassing on your place.
Heaved up a couple inches.

Oh dern....

Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 912 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Heaved up a couple inches.
Kind of sounds like a new and over zealous ins agent. Unless they are trying to keep you from making a claim as the homeowner for damaged concrete. Especially if it was damaged before the transfer of title.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2632 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Sometimes, just calling a home owner's insurance company would be considered a "claim" if discussing a problem.

Even if you don't get any money.

I had a "national" insurance company that dropped me. I put in a claim to replace shingles on a house I had in Louisiana. Sold that house and moved to Florida. After living there for a couple of years, I called about some water spots in the ceiling (I fixed them myself after finding the leak). I got a letter from the company saying that they were dropping me because I had 2 claims in 5 years (even though they were 2 different houses in different states).

The company I have now is the cheapest I could find (being dropped from an insurance company once automatically increases premiums for any new insurer).

Read the policy and see what it says about driveways. I don't recall such a situation addressed in mine.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)