Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Question! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/question-94665/)

kytowboater 07-30-2013 04:52 AM

So, we own out first house. Have made two payments on homeowners insurance. Company had it inspected for their purposes. Now they want us to to redo our driveway. It's cracked from tree roots. They have given us 35 days to do so, or they will cancel our insurance. They didn't tell us until today. Not two premium payments ago. Is that even legal?!

Axxe55 07-30-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1319866)
So, we own out first house. Have made two payments on homeowners insurance. Company had it inspected for their purposes. Now they want us to to redo our driveway. It's cracked from tree roots. They have given us 35 days to do so, or they will cancel our insurance. They didn't tell us until today. Not two premium payments ago. Is that even legal?!

i would be talking to another insurance agent for sure. i have never heard of such. cracked concrete in a driveway, even from tree roots is more cosmetic i would think.

but did they do the inspection prior to you making the payments or afterwards?

gunsmoke11 07-30-2013 05:06 AM

When I bought my house many years ago my driveway had more cracks than my ex girlfriend's grandmother. I never heard of anything like that before. Every state has their own insurance quirks. Maybe where you live if the insurance co. feels that there's a hazardous condition that may cause them to payout against a lawsuit then maybe they can pull that on you. I would think that the bank inspection when applying for a mortgage would have picked up on something that would have to be corrected. Don't panic and try contacting another insurance agent and see what they say. You might be better off cancelling your current co. and going with another. Yours sounds like an Allstate trick. Maybe a can of pre mixed cement and a trowel could solve the problem rather than a major job. Good luck and let us know how you do.

towboater 07-30-2013 05:13 AM

I'd be looking for another ins company.

kytowboater 07-30-2013 05:20 AM

I'm not sure when the inspection was completed. I'm sure it was prior to the closing. They are worried about liability if someone trips and falls. The cracks are not that bad.

It's AAA insurance.

Can't afford to look for different insurance ATM so will just repair with quickcrete when I'm off the boat.

The cracks are near the road not close to the house, so the house has no potential damage from it.

Just aggravating. I have 23 days left on the river, not sure when there "mandated 35 days" started. Wife will be seeking clarification tomorrow and demanding more days.

gunsmoke11 07-30-2013 05:27 AM

If the cracks are on level ground and can be patched then that should be good enough. If roots are raising up the ground then that could be a problem. Them damn trees belong in the woods.

F4U 07-30-2013 05:29 AM

Is it cracks in the concrete or places where the concrete is heaved up from tree roots? Either way not sure what the beef is unless it is a trip hazard for people trespassing on your place.

kytowboater 07-30-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F4U
Is it cracks in the concrete or places where the concrete is heaved up from tree roots? Either way not sure what the beef is unless it is a trip hazard for people trespassing on your place.

Heaved up a couple inches.

F4U 07-30-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1319927)
Heaved up a couple inches.

Kind of sounds like a new and over zealous ins agent. Unless they are trying to keep you from making a claim as the homeowner for damaged concrete. Especially if it was damaged before the transfer of title.

danf_fl 07-30-2013 10:51 AM

Sometimes, just calling a home owner's insurance company would be considered a "claim" if discussing a problem.

Even if you don't get any money.

I had a "national" insurance company that dropped me. I put in a claim to replace shingles on a house I had in Louisiana. Sold that house and moved to Florida. After living there for a couple of years, I called about some water spots in the ceiling (I fixed them myself after finding the leak). I got a letter from the company saying that they were dropping me because I had 2 claims in 5 years (even though they were 2 different houses in different states).

The company I have now is the cheapest I could find (being dropped from an insurance company once automatically increases premiums for any new insurer).

Read the policy and see what it says about driveways. I don't recall such a situation addressed in mine.