Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Purchasing my first firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
My Uncle told me that if you buy a firearm online and then have to sent to the dealer, it is typically cheaper than if you buy it directly from a dealer. Is this true?
It all depends upon the dealer's transfer fee. I've known FFL guys that will transfer as low as $20.00, and I've seen some guys charge as high as $60.00.

You can find new guns at several places on the net that will transfer to your FFL for no extra fee other than shipping. So, it depends on the shipping and fee charged by your FFL. You can find arms on line that you may not be able to find elsewhere as well.

It can be, but not always. I always check on-line for the prices for any certain arm I'm looking for at the time before going to the gun store. Like anyting else, be a smart shopper is good advice for anything that costs at least a few hundy.

Good question, Darkness.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've wondered about that too. I'm very weary of buying online and I'm not even sure how it is done,lol.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #23

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I've wondered about that too. I'm very weary of buying online and I'm not even sure how it is done,lol.
There are some very reputable on-line sellers of firearms. They will have good deals (sometimes) on NIB arms that you can purchase and shipped to you (as long as legal in your state). When purchasing, you need to provide an FFL# and address. You do have to pay your FFL's transfer fee and shipping, but deals can be had. Some FFL's will not accept a transfer on the same arm they have in stock at the time, and I don't blame them.

Best thing to do is get to know a dealer really well, so you can get what you want at a minimal fee. I'm sure those who work at gun shops will attest to that.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #24

Liked 1024 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
My Uncle told me that if you buy a firearm online and then have to sent to the dealer, it is typically cheaper than if you buy it directly from a dealer. Is this true?
Nevermind, I didn't refresh, Skull already said what I was going to.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #25

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To sort of get back to Scott's original question....

Don't sweat the background check unless you've done something that might preclude you from your purchase. As for the number of weapons, if there's a "secret" data base somewhere, I'm sure there are a few members here and on other boards that own quite a few more than 1 weapon (myself included), including those evil, nasty "assault weapons" like AK-47s and AR-15s, among others.

Buy your weapon and enjoy the ownership and use of it. As the old phrase goes, "Don't sweat the small s**t!"