Purchasing my first firearm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Purchasing my first firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Purchasing my first firearm

Hello,

I'm purchasing my first firearm for self defense in the home and have pretty much settled on a Glock 23 (yes, I'm getting training, will practice with it, etc. etc.)

I'm curious about where to buy one though. If I purchase through a licensed dealer here in Arizona, I know they'll run a background check which itself isn't a problem, but does that background check somehow notify the federal government that I own that firearm? With Obama in office and a Congress who doesn't know their head from, well, you know...

I've read a lot about buying used vs new, the different background requirements, etc. but I'm not sure how all of that pertains to my privacy when it comes to owning that firearm. Any input from people more experienced would certainly be appreciated.!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If this Nation gets that bad, it won't matter whether you bought used or new, they'll come to your door and search for it. The way you purchase is entirely up to you. A new gun is under warranty a used one generally is not.

Not sure what the laws are in Arizona, just know you have a better selection than folks in California.

Good Luck!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

What are you afraid of, you are in Arizona! Good for you. Second, why would you worry about buying 1 firearm and the gubmit maybe knowing about it () when there are much more menacing persons out there that have virtual arsenals.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #4

I've just heard a lot from various people saying one thing or the other about it, just decided to ask in a forum where I can get a variety of opinions. I'm not really all that concerned about it, but I wanted to throw the question out there anyways.

Is the avoidance of a background check pretty much just a way for people who wouldn't pass the check anyways to get a firearm, or is it a way for law-abiding citizens to avoid being "registered" as owning a gun? Or both... Just trying to figure out what all the noise about the "loophole" is and why anyone would want to take advantage of it.

Having said that, I do plan on getting a CCW permit down the road which I suppose would provide a certain level of "registration" anyways, so it might be a moot point, just trying to learn a little about it.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't believe it is an issue of it being an advantage to purchase privately except that an individual might have the rifle or pistol I want that a dealer may not, either because it is no longer in production, or because it has after market upgrades or is priced well below what a new weapon would cost. As always in any firearms purchase, be very knowledgeable of the weapon you are buying, the Federal laws governing firearms and the laws pertaining to your State.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Buy it the normal way through a FFL dealer. Then you know the firearm is legal in your state and not stolen or involved in a crime. If you buy private party it's a good idea to check with your local PD right away to insure the firearm isn't on the hot sheet. Don't get too concerned about the goverment comming for your firearm, be more concerned with being caught with a stolen firearm or one used in a crime.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Buy it the normal way through a FFL dealer. Then you know the firearm is legal in your state and not stolen or involved in a crime. If you buy private party it's a good idea to check with your local PD right away to insure the firearm isn't on the hot sheet. Don't get too concerned about the goverment comming for your firearm, be more concerned with being caught with a stolen firearm or one used in a crime.
110% factual right there.

Here's the real skinny:

You buy from a FFL, that FFL is required to keep a record. The background check is supposed to be just that and nothing else. Right now, that record is not supposed to be kept by law. Should the authorities check with the FFL, your purchase is on the FFL record, not the gubmits.

Whether you believe there is a record kept by the gubmit or not, do not worry about them coming for your Glock. That is as long as you are purchasing for lawful acts and not to kill your ex old lady or boss or something. In other words, fear not the legal purchase for legal use. Believe me, the gubmit is not worried about you and a legal Glock, and your household will not be 'red' flagged for the purchase.

It is safer for you to buy new from a FFL. Jmho.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Exactly what the others have said-a new firearm is for SURE not "hot" and will be legal & under warranty. Be aware that all new firearms, and especially semi autos in general require a break in of at least 200-300 rounds to ensure no problems before trusting your life & the lives of loved 1s to it. The only times I buy used is on models not currently being manufactured, or get GREAT deals on them-then I religiously take it to the local police department and have them run the serial # on it-even on guns sold by pawn shops. Bottom line-if it sounds too good to be true,it usually is-especially on firearms. If you buy from a dealer, then you have them backing you up in case it ever needs to be returned to the manufacturer for warranty work. Not so if you buy from unknown individuals.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #9

The first pistol i got was a Glock 23... I was 16 at the time and got it from guy in the paper. It was brand new and to this day I havent had a single problem with it. If your worried about Obama taking your guns away then do what the rest of do and say that you sold it. wink wink.... Right now the main thing going through his head is trying to make ammunition expensive as hell and/or limiting the numbers being sold. There are too many democrats (bad word) in the senate that refuse to sign another weapons ban like the one that passed in the Clinton (bad word) era. Also, if you bought that gun now while there are no restrictions on it who can tell you to give it up??? Id like for the day to come when someone tells me that

If you find a gun you like... just HUG A TREE an buy it. You can never have too many... no matter what liberals say.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9137 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

When you buy from a dealer, you complete a form 4473, and the dealer calls in for a background check. There is no "registration" that on this date, Joe Doe bought a 40 cal Crunchenticker, serial number B1313. The DEALER retains the form 4473. When they run the background, there is no mention of make, model, or serial number. THAT goes in the dealer's record that HE keeps. With the exception of NFA arms (full autos, sawed offs, etc) there is NO Federal database of "registered" guns- or gunowners.

Also expect to find a lot of paranoia among gun folks. I would be, but I lost all my guns in a horrible boating accident, Thursday of next week.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.