Puppy help - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Puppy help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Beagles Hard to train?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Amen.

it's not retarded. It is a very young puppy. Many breeders won't let a puppy go that young. He is way to young to expect to be potty trained.

Beagles, along with many of the scent hounds, are particularly hard to house train.
I have 2 beagles now, had others, never had trouble house training them. I have lives with [over 45 years] over twelve Dogs, and have never- and will never- crate train a Dog.
I have seen several dogs of diff sizes and breeds who have been badly affected by crate training, i.e. leaving them in the crate too much/too long.
Huskies are HIGH maintenance, need LOTS of attention, and LOTS of activity; Remember that they are working dogs.
Remember also that YOU two are now the Huskies 'pack', and they want to be WITH the pack, not constantly separated from you.
Did the vet check for urinary tract infection? Other medical cause of indoor urination?
Have you tried 'WEE WEE Pads', along with a GOOD odor and stain remover? Get rid of the existing pee scent, (which you maybe cannot smell, but Dog can), and out down the WeeWee pad. WHen they urinate on that, take it outside and lead them to the pad, and they will learn to urinate outside.
Praise them often, and reward good behaviour. But, be careful scolding the Dog, unless you catch them in the act. Scolding them minutes or hours later, they don't know why you are punishing them, and that leads to worse episodes of urination indoors.
Patience, praise, and repetition are paramount.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #32

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingLooney View Post
I have 2 beagles now, had others, never had trouble house training them. I have lives with [over 45 years] over twelve Dogs, and have never- and will never- crate train a Dog.
I have seen several dogs of diff sizes and breeds who have been badly affected by crate training, i.e. leaving them in the crate too much/too long.
Huskies are HIGH maintenance, need LOTS of attention, and LOTS of activity; Remember that they are working dogs.
Remember also that YOU two are now the Huskies 'pack', and they want to be WITH the pack, not constantly separated from you.
Did the vet check for urinary tract infection? Other medical cause of indoor urination?
Have you tried 'WEE WEE Pads', along with a GOOD odor and stain remover? Get rid of the existing pee scent, (which you maybe cannot smell, but Dog can), and out down the WeeWee pad. WHen they urinate on that, take it outside and lead them to the pad, and they will learn to urinate outside.
Praise them often, and reward good behaviour. But, be careful scolding the Dog, unless you catch them in the act. Scolding them minutes or hours later, they don't know why you are punishing them, and that leads to worse episodes of urination indoors.
Patience, praise, and repetition are paramount.
Well...we've crate trained 3 high energy Austrailian Shepherds. They took to it fine with no issues.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #33
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7978 Times on 4789 Posts
Likes Given: 10259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
Well...we've crate trained 3 high energy Austrailian Shepherds. They took to it fine with no issues.
Same with my Border Collie. Now he's older and he still sleeps in his crate. I never shut the door anymore. It's become his dog bed. He's free to come and go from it as he pleases. It's his 'safe spot'. No one can bother him when he's in there.