Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Puppy help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6949 Times on 4180 Posts
Likes Given: 8357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
Or all the shots and no worms. That can make them act like it does.
I agree here. First physical health must be checked.

Next..........8 weeks? Man, have some patience. That is VERY young. I doubt a puppy that young even has the means to control their urine yet.

I suggest putting it outside every half hour or so and praising him/her when it potties outside. Praise works much better than punishment when training any animal. Crate the little guy when no one can watch him such as at night. I would not expect a pup to be fully trained and able to hold his/her urine and feces until around 6 months old. A puppy is a lot of work. Be prepared to do a lot of work. Maybe your best bet would have been to get a puppy a little older. Many reputable breeders won't let their puppies go to new homes until they are 12 weeks old.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6949 Times on 4180 Posts
Likes Given: 8357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Yeah, we're in Maine so trust me. It's too damn cold to just hang outside. We watch the dog to make sure it goes, then bring it inside.
Yes, we have a wire cage, and used the divider to make it smaller. It just uses the bathroom and lays in it, getting wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Okay, if the dog pisses or drops a deuce and then just lays in it, you may have gotten a defective one like I did. THAT is not normal behavior, no matter the situation.

But, maybe a trip to the vet to check on some incontinence advice, or a little Q&A with the vet on the matter might be in order.
Seriously, folks. We're talking an 8 week old puppy here. It is not old enough to have bladder/bowl control. Kind of like a 6 month old baby.

Mosin, the only time I get a puppy is in the Spring for the very reason you mentioned. Unfortunately, you're going to have to go out there with that pup and praise it the minute it squats to do it's business. Animals can't read out minds as to when they are doing right or wrong. We have to let them know through praise. I know it's damned cold out there but you have to be out there with this pup giving it some positive feedback.

A 8 week old puppy can NOT go all night without being let out. A puppy that age must be let out at LEAST every 4 hours at night when it's not actively playing or eating. In the day, probably every two hours.

I am strongly recommending, for the mental health of the dog and you humans, to know the facts of what a dog that age is capable of doing and to train correctly.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cluing-into-a-puppys-housetraining-instincts.html

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/housebreak2.htm

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/281688

Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Every time it goes potty out side give it a treat immiedatly when he goes in the house dont rub his nose in it he is a puppy you wouldnt expect a baby to be potty trained if he is not in his crate he should be on a leash even in the house my 3 month old rottie is already potty trained with this method only give him water with his meal i also recomend puppy classes at pets smart that class works wonders they help with alot of training we take our rottie every sunday a noon for an hour the class is like six weeks if he goes potty in the house its your fault you were not watching him

Old 11-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #14

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

That's what's for me confused. Our other dogs were trained by 8 weeks by crate training, with the occasional mess up. I do the praise thing. I've just never encountered a dog that will go outside for 20 minutes, do nothing, then go in its cage and pee all over itself 2 minutes later.

It's health is fine. Maybe it's retarded.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #15

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin

It's health is fine. Maybe it's retarded.
That's what I think was wrong with my beagle. She was almost a year old when I gave up. The new family told me they never did get her housebroken, but the kids loved her so they were stuck with her.

I still think maybe it could just be a high energy thing.

Kinda like how my kid would still piss his pants at 4 years old because he was distracted with playing.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #16

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Do you know the background of this pup? I know little about huskys except that they obviously outdoor types and many live with others (pack).

...and they sometimes get confused with Malemutes, which are different altogether.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 11-25-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #17

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82
Do you know the background of this pup? I know little about huskys except that they obviously outdoor types and many live with others (pack).

...and they sometimes get confused with Malemutes, which are different altogether.
Yeah. It was born with a peanut in its head.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #18

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Yeah. It was born with a peanut in its head.
lol!..okay.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1189 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Keep the puppy's cage as close to it's size as you can. That will keep it from going in the cage. You also have to take it out about once an hour for each month it is old. In other words, two hours for two months, and that includes at night. Also put a small pile of treats in a baggie in your pocket. When the dog pees, or poops, give it a treat right then, not when it comes back into the house. Reinforce the behavior you want with the treat. If you wait until you come back into the house, you are rewarding the return to the house, not the bathroom behaviour.

Good luck. Puppies are a lot of work.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
I've just never encountered a dog that will go outside for 20 minutes, do nothing, then go in its cage and pee all over itself 2 minutes later.
Here may be part of the problem. He'a not out long enough to do his business if he's coming back inside and going.