Puppy help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Puppy help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Default Puppy help

My gf has a 8 week old Husky, but the thing is impossible to train. No matter how much we let it out, it still uses the bathroom in the house, everywhere. It doesn't have a spot it likes, it just goes when it goes.
It even uses the bathroom in its crate, which is really frustrating because that's how I've crate trained my dogs in the past. I need some help and advice!

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My cousin and friend both breed dogs. Let me see what they say.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 769 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 225

The husky needs to be outside a lot. Fenced in, teathered, or leashed. It will then be going outside. Pick a toilet command and stick to it. When it goes use the command repeatedly along with praise.
Get scent remover for the spots in the house.
You may have to take the dog out every hour. A couple of weeks should do it. If you both work, just do it as much as you can. The purpose of being out is toilet, not walkies and play time until after a result.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 11-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #4

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Use at Dog Carrier/Kennel as it's home in the house. Especially at night and while your away. They usually will not 'go' in it because it's their home. They like being in it so don't think it's cruel. When you let them out and send them directly outside. I just hope you haven't waited too long...you have to catch them young for this routine and you can keep it up for nearly a year...if you do it, buy a big one.

Ok..I just noticed you are doing the crate routine. Man...it's doing it in the crate?...I would't give up the crate idea. Scold it when it happens and send it outside. Going in the crate is an odd thing, but it's young yet...it may figure it out.

ppets-5012946r200.jpg  

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 11-24-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I assume you're using an all wire cage? Since it was probably purchased for the dog when full grown its huge for the puppy now. With it being so large it's easy for them to use the bathroom in their cages AND still be comfortable to sleep.

Some come with a divider that you stick in there while they're growing to make the "living" area smaller. It'll encourage them to not potty in the cage because with it being so limited on space they would be forced to lay in it. I didn't have a divider so I used a piece of plywood.

Other suggestions, do not leave food out for it to eat. Feeding comes at exactly the same time every day. That way you can control, to an extent, when they will have to go. Also, no water while they are crated. Some dogs will drink out of boredom and thus need to potty often. Mine go 8-12 hours crated without water.

Lastly, until you can learn how he/she tells you it's time to "go" keep it on a leash and with you at all times. It won't take but a couple days to learn what happens before it potties.

Does the dog go out loose in a yard to potty or on a leash with someone there? If it just goes in the backyard it may not be actually going, just playing around. Supervision will help in the beginning.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Yeah, we're in Maine so trust me. It's too damn cold to just hang outside. We watch the dog to make sure it goes, then bring it inside.
Yes, we have a wire cage, and used the divider to make it smaller. It just uses the bathroom and lays in it, getting wet.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 11-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Man, I had the same problem with a beagle. I gave it to a family with 4 kids. Some dogs are just untrainable, it does happen occasionally.

In the case of a Husky though, those are high energy dogs. Run it's ass off. They're like people, way more susceptible to suggestion when tired or drunk (I don't advocating giving dogs alcohol though).

That is the first thing I would do, try to burn off as much as the animal's excess energy as I could. And stay away from "high performance" food that is marketed towards hunting dogs. It can also help if you catch it in the act. Interrupt it's "going" with loud sudden noises (clapping, pocket change in coffee can), and immediately take it out.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #8

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Okay, if the dog pisses or drops a deuce and then just lays in it, you may have gotten a defective one like I did. THAT is not normal behavior, no matter the situation.

But, maybe a trip to the vet to check on some incontinence advice, or a little Q&A with the vet on the matter might be in order.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Did you get the Husky from a registered breeder, AKC papers on the dog, etc?

I only ask because inbreeding has become a real problem with some breeder/puppy mills.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #10

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Or all the shots and no worms. That can make them act like it does.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.