punching bag questions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > punching bag questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default punching bag questions

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a punching bag for quite some time now. does anyone here know anything about them?

I'd like to get a decent "hanging" bag but i cant put it up in my garage because of space constraints and my basement is finished. I would probably just put it in the corner of my office on a stand, but those stands are pretty spendy and seem like they take a bit of room.

are those water filled floor punching bags any good? cause i think they are cheaper and might be easier to deal with in my house.

do they leak? do they fall over a lot? would i just be better off with a normal bag and a stand?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #2

you want the bag to swing as you hit it. That develops your timing and balance as you control the movement of the bag with your punches. And you would like it to swing as much as possible, so hang it with as long a lead as you can from the ceiling.

I think the floor mounted ones are more for MMA kicks.

Title Boxing Equipment: Punching bags, boxing gloves, boxing gear & boxing supplies at discount prices.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The sand bag is far better than a water bag due to the density of sand compared to water. I can't help you with the stands, never used one, my bag is in the garage in a corner. When I want to hit the bag I pull the car out and go at it.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I've had an 80 lb Everlast bag in the tree of my back yard for 18yrs. I love being able to workout the stress of the day. But here I have very good weather most of the time. Never tried the slam man stand ups but they look like fun. I think you could use sand in the base if your worried about leaks, but getting the sand out for moving the bag could be a pain.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 04-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The free standing bags slide all over the place, or falls over depending on how hard you hit.

I'd go with a hanging bag, but a free standing is better than no bag. fill it with sand and use planks for the base to keep it from going everywhere.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had one that looked like a clown but had to get rid of it because clowns scare me.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #7

I worked out on a Everlast 80lb bag for quite awhile. Just make sure your wrists are taped. It's easy to break one if you're a hard hitter.I'm not a George Foreman by any means, but can hit hard, and even with my wrists and knuckles taped, it can hurt.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Dislike the free standing bags. Unless you have someone behind it, they will tip with hard shots.

The frames you can put in a corner are rugged enough, If you have the space.

I have seen the water filled base bags crack, and then you have the puddle from hell to contend with.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My 80# Century Bag was in the garage, hung from one of the 2X6 stringers in the ceiling framing. I filled small plastic garbage bags with sand then stuffed rags around them to make the bag a little softer. That didn't work as the rags compacted and became just as hard as the sand. I think if I did it again, I would use dried pinto beans or Navy beans around the sand bags.

I do know it made one hell of a noise throughout the entire house when I was pounding away at it!!

Old 04-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That's actually supposed to be an old Muay Thai training technique. They'd fill a bag with rags, pour sand in the top, then start kicking. The sand would filter down, then they'd add more. The bag would get progressively stiffer and harder, and this would supplement tree kicking.