Pulling doubles
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Pulling doubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default Pulling doubles

The family and I go camping just about every weekend, we go to state parks within an hour or so drive of our hometown. We have a starcraft popup camper, about 15' box. I also recently aquired a john boat on a trailer, 14' aluminum flat bottom. What I want to do is take the boat with us when we go camping to state parks with lakes and good fishing but I dont want to take a second tow vehicle. Ive asked around and check the laws here in indiana and from what I can find it is legal to tow doubles with a pickup truck. Tow vehicle is my 04 F150 4x4 shortbed with 4.6 liter.

Ive got a buddy with a welder that will help me put a 2" receiver on the rear bumper of the camper and also reinforce the bumper. Question is...Anyone ever pulled 2 single axle trailers with one truck? Its gonna cost me some money for the steel and welding supplies and the time to do it and I don't want to invest the time and money to find out the boat trailer will whip around too much and be too dangerous to pull.

I know it'll be next to impossible if not impossible to back both trailers but that Im not worried about because Ill drop the boat before backing into our campsite.

Anybody with experience?
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5742 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I've seen people with canoes on top of pop-up campers. Would the johnboat be too much for the camper's top, or is it a matter of needing to ramp launch it?

I have not done it but would want some trailer brakes back there.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #3
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1850 Times on 1086 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I work for a freight company, we pull doubles all the time. First thing, lightest trailer goes in back.

We have 60 guys at our terminal I know of 2 that can back up a set of doubles. I know I can't.

I think you probably have plenty of truck to pull both, but can you stop them? I too would want brakes on the trailers but with a normal pickup controller I don't know if it would handle 2 trailers. Also in high winds or extremely wet slippery conditions that second trailer likes to come around to see where you are going.

Is the boat too heavy to lay across to top of the camper and launch by hand?

Methinks you may have trouble with leos who don't know this is legal because they have never seen it before.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #4

Liked 2376 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

I looked into doing this quite a while back. I was told by someone...can't remember who, that I would be required to have a CDL to tow doubles. I really don't remember who told me. But I would look into it.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

In CA you need Class A license to tow doubles of any kind. I have towed doubles, no big deal if you know what you are doing. Lightest trailer in back, as said. Keep a copy of the vehicle code specifying the legality of what you are doing just in case.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

I, too, would advise for a trailer brake setup on both trailers. Yes, it is some money, but it will make driving much safer.

As far as LEOs, go to your Department of Motor Vehicles and ask about legality and licensing. Have them print out the statute for you pertaining to towing doubles and keep it in the pickup to show LEOs. This will save you an immense amount of time.

I only did it once out of neccessity, but I got stopped twice to question legality. My attorney had provided the copy of the vehicle code and I got through both stops quickly because of it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
orangello Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Oh yeah, trailer brakes on all towed axles. Make sure that the trailer brakes are properly adjusted or they won't work right. I just installed a new electric brake controller in my Super Duty- I love it. Here is a link (worth every penny!) http://www.maxbrake.com/brake-controller.php

Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #8
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 6259 Times on 3282 Posts
Likes Given: 28565

Pulling doubles....? Eeeek.., Prevert....! . Just kidding , I love thee out doors..!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I've seen people with canoes on top of pop-up campers. Would the johnboat be too much for the camper's top, or is it a matter of needing to ramp launch it?

I have not done it but would want some trailer brakes back there.
I thought about that option too, but the boat I have is a 1969 and though it is aluminum it is a tank. The boat easily weighs 4 or 500 so I dont want to throw that much weight on top of the camper roof.

Also, trailer brakes arent required in Indiana unless your trailer's GVW is more than 3k, since my camper is just a small popup it wasnt built with trailer brakes, neither was my boat trailer. Ive pulled as much as 9,500 with my F150 so I know it'll handle the camper/boat combo.

Ive also got a Class A CDL because I drive a truck but having a CDL doesnt mean you can pull doubles in a semi, to do that you need a doubles and triples endorsement. Im just hoping I dont need it since my truck isnt a commercial vehicle.

Im going to the BMV today after work to get the registration numbers for the boat so I'll ask them to clarify and show me some documents that pertain to the legality. Ive yet to find anything online stating its not legal and Ive talked to numerous other campers Ive seen doing it and been told by everyone Ive talked to theyve never been stopped. Its pretty common to pull into a camping area and see several large campers being pulled in with either boats or small utility trailers loaded with golf carts and ATVs behind them.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 05-30-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5742 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I thought about that option too, but the boat I have is a 1969 and though it is aluminum it is a tank. The boat easily weighs 4 or 500 so I dont want to throw that much weight on top of the camper roof.
Know anybody who welds pipe well? I'd be really tempted to have a removable frame added to the front and rear of the camper with a big T coming up to hold the boat. I had a similar receiver hitch-mounted bar on my Dakota for long canoes. http://www.amazon.com/Extend-A-Truck-944-Truck-Bed-Extender/dp/B00008BKX5/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1369932812&sr=8-7&keywords=hitch+canoe+rack

I'm not doubting a OTR driver's ability to deal with double trailers, but I would be worried about the hassles with traffic patrols and such.