Pulled for speeding, but was not speeding
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pulled for speeding, but was not speeding

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pulled for speeding, but was not speeding

Today I got pulled over and was asked if I know the speed limit. I said yes. The motorcycle cop said " I clocked you at 52 in a 35. I asked to see the Radar with the speed that he said I was going and he said. In the state Florida they are not required to show you and the Radar doesn't lock in your speed.
He said this doesn't mean your guilty. Then I said " I will see you in court". I told him I'm the only working and drive 100 miles a day to and from work and that I wasn't going to pay a $256 ticket for speeding which you have no proof of.
I was doing 40 in a 35. There is nothing on this road but woods until you get near the traffic light.
I will be getting an Attorney, because I be damned if I'm paying for something that is completely false.
By the way he was facing the direction I was driving and there was another car a little ways behind me. He must have clocked him and I got hosed. Because it was a while until he pulled me over.
Motorcycle Cop.................... Remember it's people like me that work that pay there salaries.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2857 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Doppler radar will lock on the strongest signal. Fastest, closest and/or largest. If it was a small car, way back it did not likely lock on that car. Unfortunately, it is pretty much your word against the officer. If the officer testifies well, an attorney will do you little good. Have your speedometer checked. Many brand new cars are off as much as 7 mph. If you have put oversize tires on the vehicle, it will cause it to read less than actual speed. Big mudders can throw you off 15 mph. You admit to speeding. Now you are just haggling over the how much over.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't admit. The only way that I did is by signing the citation.
And if I didn't sign, they can take you to jail.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMjUnKiE
I didn't admit. The only way that I did is by signing the citation.
And if I didn't sign, they can take you to jail.
And an Attorney will do some good.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Even if you get off the ticket, you will more than likely have to pay court cost. Lose, lose situation.

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #6

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMjUnKiE View Post
Today I got pulled over and was asked if I know the speed limit. I said yes. The motorcycle cop said " I clocked you at 52 in a 35. I asked to see the Radar with the speed that he said I was going and he said. In the state Florida they are not required to show you and the Radar doesn't lock in your speed.
He said this doesn't mean your guilty. Then I said " I will see you in court". I told him I'm the only working and drive 100 miles a day to and from work and that I wasn't going to pay a $256 ticket for speeding which you have no proof of.
I was doing 40 in a 35. There is nothing on this road but woods until you get near the traffic light.
I will be getting an Attorney, because I be damned if I'm paying for something that is completely false.
By the way he was facing the direction I was driving and there was another car a little ways behind me. He must have clocked him and I got hosed. Because it was a while until he pulled me over.
Motorcycle Cop.................... Remember it's people like me that work that pay there salaries.
You did say you were doing 40 in a 35...that's speeding...not trying to argue, it is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Doppler radar will lock on the strongest signal. Fastest, closest and/or largest. If it was a small car, way back it did not likely lock on that car. Unfortunately, it is pretty much your word against the officer. If the officer testifies well, an attorney will do you little good. Have your speedometer checked. Many brand new cars are off as much as 7 mph. If you have put oversize tires on the vehicle, it will cause it to read less than actual speed. Big mudders can throw you off 15 mph. You admit to speeding. Now you are just haggling over the how much over.
Holy crap...that makes so much sense...new cars being off...I thought I was losing it, couldn't figure out why I'm gettin' tail dragged while still doing what I thought was a good clip. Never even occurred to me, thinking it's a new(er) car and the speedometer might be off...thanks Robo...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #7

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It is worth it to go thru court. The problem is your insurance carrier will up your fees. If your state has a point system it adds to the count. The good news is most police officers do not like setting in court all day for a traffic stop. Many times they will not appear. I have never known of anyone being fined for being over 5 MPH. This is within what most states consider the margin of error. How do I know all these things.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

$256 worth for 5 miles over?
I'll waste his time in court before I pay that ridiculous fine.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
It is worth it to go thru court. The problem is your insurance carrier will up your fees. If your state has a point system it adds to the count. The good news is most police officers do not like setting in court all day for a traffic stop. Many times they will not appear. I have never known of anyone being fined for being over 5 MPH. This is within what most states consider the margin of error. How do I know all these things.
You know because your a cop.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My insurance will go up whether I go to court or not.
When I know I'm in the right, then that's when I'm not going to sit back and let this slide.
So it is what it is. A cop that gave a citation that was uncalled for and wouldn't show me proof.
So if he can't show me then I'll waste both of our time in court.

Closed Thread