You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Public safety: Ban Guns? Or Doctors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Public safety: Ban Guns? Or Doctors?

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services)

Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000+.
Yes, that is 80 million+.

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is <0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more likely than gun owners to kill someone.
Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand! This statistic does not even include those that the President warned us about, who run around ripping out tonsils and whacking feet just to make a quick buck.

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers, for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention. The last thing we need is for all those one-footed people with missing tonsils to run up against one of these "assault doctors" and end up dead...

Not to mention that I haven't even begun to handle the troublesome statistics involving cars driven by politicians.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I made a thread bout this earlier. Still amazes me..........

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #3

Sorry, didn't mean to duplicate your work. I missed it somehow. It seems to me we also need to ban ladders, hammers and kitchen drains, since that stuff kills just about everybody else.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey no problem on reposting. I know, maybe we should all live in nice small rooms with padding on the floor and walls and they probably should spoon feed us while our hands our tied so we don't hurt ourselves or any one else...........

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #5

Scary statistics.

However, in the defense of doctors, maintaining the human body is a bit more complicated then a firearm.

But I totally agree - guns are not the problem. It's the idiots using them.

I always say, "They can ban all guns, but be aware that you can make explosive and chemical weapons with materials from WALMART that will do far more damage then any WELL armed assailant. Criminals will use the tools available, and they wont give away the ones they already have if they're illegal."

Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Preaching to the choir guys.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #7

Liked 1485 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 466

There is a fact that is being overlooked on this statistic. How many of those people who died in the doctor's care would have died if they did not have a doctor in the first place?

How many of those people who died from accidental gunfire would have died if they didn't have guns in the first place? The number would not be 0 but I'm guessing it would be lower than the number of people who die without doctors.

I'm not making an argument for restricting guns, I'm just pointing out that were not comparing Apples to Apples in this example.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
How many of those people who died from accidental gunfire would have died if they didn't have guns in the first place? The number would not be 0 but I'm guessing it would be lower than the number of people who die without doctors.

I'm not making an argument for restricting guns, I'm just pointing out that were not comparing Apples to Apples in this example.
True, however, those same people probably would have done something equally as stupid (e.g. looking down a barrel and puling the trigger to see if its empty, or blowing their testicles off because they were mexican carrying) later that month to rid themselves from the human gene pool

Old 10-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #9

Anybody who thinks this is a serious subject for argument has got no sense of humour. I found it to be amusing, I wasn't presenting an argument against gun bans on a forum for gun enthusiasts. I'm fairly certain that most folks here are against it. ergo, no need to argue that way.

And how many of those people who died from gun "accidents" would have died from car accidents or problems with their doctor? The statistic is for accidental deaths. Not for people who would have died without treatment.

Last edited by Route 66 Rambler; 10-07-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #10

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 137

A better idea would be to ban "stupid"....I'm just sayin...

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"