Protect your privacy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Protect your privacy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Protect your privacy

Since I joined up a little over a year ago, I've noticed the trend by certain people to ask seemingly innocuous questions that, by themselves, are harmless enough but with in concert with all the other threads add up to a ton of revealing information that in the wrong hands can lead to some bad karma.

Threads like:

Describe your town
What's your age group?
Show us a pic or yourself!
What weapons do you have?
What's your political position?

and a host of other revealing threads can tell the wrong people everything they need to know about you.

Since the last election, there has been a larger than normal number of people from the "other side" who come here and stir the pot up with their leftist rhetoric under the guise of "being open minded". I don't know these people and neither do any of you. Do you want them being able to peruse our archives for the cornucopia of information (some of it damning) that you willingly submitted?

The government is not too friendly to people like us these days. In fact it seems openly hostile. There's a lot of frustration here and we like to think of FTF as a place to blow off a little steam, but we have to be careful. There are bad men in our midst. Guard your privacy, gentlemen.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

While I do use my real name as my user name and I’ve posted my actual location, I do still enjoy a great deal of privacy. And being an FFL and having my prints on file with the feds is not an entirely comforting thought, and is something I struggled with during the application process. So finding me is certainly no great task for anyone that’s interested.

However thanks for the affirmation, what you said is VERY true. I always think this way and generally try to steer clear of revealing too much or coming off a certain way, although it doesn’t always work. And what really bugs the crap out of me is the wife constantly snapping pictures with her phone and immediately posting them to facebook or whatever to let everyone know what we’re doing.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I couldn't agree more. I myself have opened up my personal ideas and beliefs, perhaps I've said too much.
I also think we all may be opening ourselves up to greater government interest simply by visiting this site. ineff is right about the current administration being hostile towards people who hold similar beliefs to most of the members here. Big brother is getting closer.

Thanks for the reminder.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Indeed Ineff you are very correct in your assumption about volunteered information here quite possibly falling into the wrong hands and some forget that any and all comments can be reproduced by a simple Google search. But speaking for myself here, the government has everything they need on me already, finger prints, blood type, military background and specialty, SS#, location and family members.

I would never give out any personal information or intell out on the internet that I know would compromise my personal life. But, I would give enough out to bait others who's intentions are to do me or mine harm, and offer them an open invitation to come find me and I would welcome them with aggresive and lively engagement.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
and offer them an open invitation to come find me and I would welcome them with aggresive and lively engagement.

Jack
You are of course referring to lively conversation aren't you?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

There are thousands of Matt Gs out there and more than a dozen of us have Kimbers and a few of us are Libertarians.

The bummer thing is that only one of us have the IP that I have. It's really simple to find out who someone is by using their IP, that can be found on the website.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
There are thousands of Matt Gs out there and more than a dozen of us have Kimbers and a few of us are Libertarians.
But your email is visible to all and a search of that email shows your Jeep forum and your full name.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I wish some one would steal my identity maybe they would fix my credit and pay down my credit card.

See I look at it like this. I have 1 credit card and it is dang near maxed out. Meaning your not going to get much out of it before they shut it down. So who cares. Go ahead and steal away. Your going to get more problems that you want by stealing my ID....

Oh and Life lock DOESN'T work. They have already been sued a few times because people got wiped out and they didn't pay out.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was going to post to this thread then realized Ineff was just trying to get more information about me!!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

Oh and Life lock DOESN'T work. They have already been sued a few times because people got wiped out and they didn't pay out.
Creditable Source?? And NOT just Let me Google that for you.

Quote:
Lifelock has been under a lot of scrutiny about its services and elaborate advertising. There's a handful of lawsuits still pending with accusations of false and misleading advertising
From the May edition of PC World and the key is STILL PENDING. That doesn't mean they are guilty anymore than me saying you're guilty of fraud - it still needs to be proven.

I have had them for over 2 years and have had two issues.

One was when I was out of the country and trying to make purchase in Puerto Vallarta and they blocked it due to excessive credit card fraud from that part of the world.

Another time my CC information was obtained, most likely through an internet website, and a purchase was attempted to set up an internet account. That was immediately pounced on and forwarded to me and the authorities in that area ( Bay Area, Kalifornia ).

The reduction in spam and junk mail has been outstanding, especially since every credit card company in the free world started bombarding us with offers when we purchased our house.

Pre-approvals, sometimes 2 or 3 a day, was all I needed to have fall into the wrong hands.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-06-2009 at 05:26 PM.