Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Protect your privacy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/protect-your-privacy-16598/)

user4 08-06-2009 02:19 PM

Protect your privacy

Since I joined up a little over a year ago, I've noticed the trend by certain people to ask seemingly innocuous questions that, by themselves, are harmless enough but with in concert with all the other threads add up to a ton of revealing information that in the wrong hands can lead to some bad karma.

Threads like:

Describe your town
What's your age group?
Show us a pic or yourself!
What weapons do you have?
What's your political position?

and a host of other revealing threads can tell the wrong people everything they need to know about you.

Since the last election, there has been a larger than normal number of people from the "other side" who come here and stir the pot up with their leftist rhetoric under the guise of "being open minded". I don't know these people and neither do any of you. Do you want them being able to peruse our archives for the cornucopia of information (some of it damning) that you willingly submitted?

The government is not too friendly to people like us these days. In fact it seems openly hostile. There's a lot of frustration here and we like to think of FTF as a place to blow off a little steam, but we have to be careful. There are bad men in our midst. Guard your privacy, gentlemen.

Troy Michalik 08-06-2009 02:52 PM

While I do use my real name as my user name and Iíve posted my actual location, I do still enjoy a great deal of privacy. And being an FFL and having my prints on file with the feds is not an entirely comforting thought, and is something I struggled with during the application process. So finding me is certainly no great task for anyone thatís interested.

However thanks for the affirmation, what you said is VERY true. I always think this way and generally try to steer clear of revealing too much or coming off a certain way, although it doesnít always work. And what really bugs the crap out of me is the wife constantly snapping pictures with her phone and immediately posting them to facebook or whatever to let everyone know what weíre doing.

spittinfire 08-06-2009 02:53 PM

I couldn't agree more. I myself have opened up my personal ideas and beliefs, perhaps I've said too much.
I also think we all may be opening ourselves up to greater government interest simply by visiting this site. ineff is right about the current administration being hostile towards people who hold similar beliefs to most of the members here. Big brother is getting closer.

Thanks for the reminder.

IGETEVEN 08-06-2009 03:09 PM

Indeed Ineff you are very correct in your assumption about volunteered information here quite possibly falling into the wrong hands and some forget that any and all comments can be reproduced by a simple Google search. But speaking for myself here, the government has everything they need on me already, finger prints, blood type, military background and specialty, SS#, location and family members.

I would never give out any personal information or intell out on the internet that I know would compromise my personal life. But, I would give enough out to bait others who's intentions are to do me or mine harm, and offer them an open invitation to come find me and I would welcome them with aggresive and lively engagement. ;)

Jack

Troy Michalik 08-06-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 140336)
and offer them an open invitation to come find me and I would welcome them with aggresive and lively engagement. ;)

Jack

You are of course referring to lively conversation aren't you? :D

matt g 08-06-2009 03:46 PM

There are thousands of Matt Gs out there and more than a dozen of us have Kimbers and a few of us are Libertarians.

The bummer thing is that only one of us have the IP that I have. It's really simple to find out who someone is by using their IP, that can be found on the website.

user4 08-06-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 140354)
There are thousands of Matt Gs out there and more than a dozen of us have Kimbers and a few of us are Libertarians.

But your email is visible to all and a search of that email shows your Jeep forum and your full name.

cpttango30 08-06-2009 04:14 PM

I wish some one would steal my identity maybe they would fix my credit and pay down my credit card.

See I look at it like this. I have 1 credit card and it is dang near maxed out. Meaning your not going to get much out of it before they shut it down. So who cares. Go ahead and steal away. Your going to get more problems that you want by stealing my ID....

Oh and Life lock DOESN'T work. They have already been sued a few times because people got wiped out and they didn't pay out.

dunerunner 08-06-2009 04:17 PM

I was going to post to this thread then realized Ineff was just trying to get more information about me!!! :eek:

Dillinger 08-06-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 140376)

Oh and Life lock DOESN'T work. They have already been sued a few times because people got wiped out and they didn't pay out.

Creditable Source?? And NOT just Let me Google that for you. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Lifelock has been under a lot of scrutiny about its services and elaborate advertising. There's a handful of lawsuits still pending with accusations of false and misleading advertising
From the May edition of PC World and the key is STILL PENDING. That doesn't mean they are guilty anymore than me saying you're guilty of fraud - it still needs to be proven.

I have had them for over 2 years and have had two issues.

One was when I was out of the country and trying to make purchase in Puerto Vallarta and they blocked it due to excessive credit card fraud from that part of the world.

Another time my CC information was obtained, most likely through an internet website, and a purchase was attempted to set up an internet account. That was immediately pounced on and forwarded to me and the authorities in that area ( Bay Area, Kalifornia ).

The reduction in spam and junk mail has been outstanding, especially since every credit card company in the free world started bombarding us with offers when we purchased our house.

Pre-approvals, sometimes 2 or 3 a day, was all I needed to have fall into the wrong hands.

JD