Proper Veterans - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Proper Veterans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1128 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
I suggest when they get home they look up the Air Force Cross citation for SrA Cunningham and others like him to learn about true heroes.
I was part of his unit when he was KIA. 107ERQS built of the 41st out of Moody AFB and 66th out of Nellis. Were you on this deployment with me? I was an AGE troop over there, time split between Khandhar and Kharishi-Khanibad. I didn't see them get directly denied but seeing his fellow PJ's after they were told NO they can't go in to get their downed brother was probably one of the worst times I have had in the military. I mean our unit was there to get people who were downed behind the lines and when one of our own was out there they are told the zone is to hot to go into.

I'm pretty sure he was from Moody, I know he was not a Nellis guy.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #22

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I was part of his unit when he was KIA. 107ERQS built of the 41st out of Moody AFB and 66th out of Nellis. Were you on this deployment with me? I was an AGE troop over there, time split between Khandhar and Kharishi-Khanibad. I didn't see them get directly denied but seeing his fellow PJ's after they were told NO they can't go in to get their downed brother was probably one of the worst times I have had in the military. I mean our unit was there to get people who were downed behind the lines and when one of our own was out there they are told the zone is to hot to go into.

I'm pretty sure he was from Moody, I know he was not a Nellis guy.
Nope, that was a bit before my time. I remembered a TI yelled, "Do you think SrA Cunningham and TSgt Chapman bitched about the ground being wet when they were on the mountains of Afghanistan? GET DOWN AND START PUSHING." When a guy (not me) bitched about doing pushups during PT when the ground was wet. That kinda piqued my interest a bit but I forgot about it due to the rest of BMT.

Then when I went through FTAC when I got to my first base they played a video of General Jumper and CMSgt Murray speaking at his Air Force Cross ceremony, and its stuck with me.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 06-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Technically, I'm a veteran, but I don't consider myself a veteran.

I've never been to war or even overseas. I was in the Army National Guard for 9yrs. During hat time I was deployed to do force proection (MP duties) at Ft.Sill and Ft.Polk for Operation Noble Eagle II. Technically, that makes me a veteran, but ?I just don't feel that people who ever left the U.S. deserve that because it is thrown around so loosely anymore.

During 2005, my unit was preparing to deploy to Iraq. At that time I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and could not deploy. Shortly after that I was given a medical discharge from service. All the guys I had been training with all those years went and did their duty without me. A couple of them did not make it back. These guys are veterans.

I think there should be a distinguishable difference between a veteran and a war veteran. Those guys are my heroes with my full support.

Thoughts?

A veteran, in my book, is anyone whoever raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or elected.... er... I meant domestic.

If you have ever put on a uniform and went to basic training, even if you didn't make it THROUGH basic training, you're a veteran.

It's not a matter of have or have not served overseas, in or out of a combat zone, in peacetime or wartime. It's the WILLINGNESS to go to the worst of worst places on this planet to fight and die for what our nation stands for.

Thank you for your service.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 06-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #24

BTW... you wouldn't have wanted to gone with COL Ross as your Bde Cdr.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

Old 06-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
...I was known in the BN as the SPC with million dollar pockets...
A few questions:

1. How do you go from SPC to CPT???

2. How do *I* get some "million dollar pockets"???

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

Old 06-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #26

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

1. Because I gots me some edumacation nows. K

2. You just have to know what parts are where when you need them. I was a pack rat and would collect part laying around the Motorpool and put them in a wooden crate in my conex box. Heck I even acquired tires and other big bulky parts. I would make night runs to other motorpools. Then to top it all off I helped the supply SGT every chance I could. My Supply SGT loved me. If he/she needed anything I would get it. Needed a driver to go pick up stuff I was her man I even worked on the Supply 5-ton cargo truck for them. I had friends in many places. Like S-1, S-2, S-3, S-4 all of them I had friends.

Look I got hemmed up on a trumped up charge by my Squad leader 3 days before I was to ship out to my reclass training. He was pissed I was leaving so he said I was missing all these formations which I wasn't. He pushed it threw because the chain will not stand behind a solider that has 6 people standing there lined up saying i never missed a formation since that douche bag came there.It has to stand behind an NCO bull ****. But that ART 15 that busted me to PFC never made it out of S-3. Because I had a buddy there that owed me a favor and I called it in. When the paper work came in he placed it in the to be shredded bin and then went and shredded it.

If any new recruits want advice it is pick and choose who you call your friend. Always be nice to the people who matter S-1, S-3 Supply, Mechanics, Unit armorer. I never stole military property for my own benefit If I tactically reappropriated something it was because I needed it for my mission.

Look it makes no sense to me to have a HMMWV with no motor sitting on the line with brand new batteries wasting away. ESP when you order the batteries before the motor. So My HMMWV needed batteries I would go and swap them out. Our unit had a big pile of parts that they needed to get off the book before starting the new year. So at the time I had a 5-ton and a HMMWV so I went and picked all the parts i needed for the two and stock piled them. At one point in my hidie box I had a complete front end rebuild kit for a HMMWV I am talking break pads and roters ball joints springs ect....

Old 06-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
A veteran, in my book, is anyone whoever raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or elected.... er... I meant domestic.

If you have ever put on a uniform and went to basic training, even if you didn't make it THROUGH basic training, you're a veteran.

It's not a matter of have or have not served overseas, in or out of a combat zone, in peacetime or wartime. It's the WILLINGNESS to go to the worst of worst places on this planet to fight and die for what our nation stands for.

Thank you for your service.
X2! I was AD USAF for 4.5 years and did 4.5 years in the TexasANG. My deployment to Turkey was called off the day before we were to go. Just like you, I signed the dotted line and took the oath. I respect anybody who does that with honesty.