Proper pronunciation thread? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Proper pronunciation thread?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,591
Liked 8850 Times on 5123 Posts
Likes Given: 11575

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I once asked on here is it.....

Carbine......is it Car_bean or Carb_eye-n.

I was embarrassed to discover I was saying it wrong.
I say "car-bean", so that is the correct way to say it.

OK, I know generally, but what I wonder is what, precisely, distinguishes a carbine from a rifle?

Years ago I asked that question of a co-worker who was a know-it-all gun nut who figured that a wrong answer was better than saying "I don't know." His answer was no sh!t, "A rifle uses corrosive primers and a carbine uses non-corrosive primers." I freaking kid you not.

I knew enough to know this was not only total BS but has absolutely nothing to do with it, but I just said "Oh. That is interesting." and walked away. I never asked him anything about guns again.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
magnumman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 544
Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

I knew enough to know this was not only total BS but has absolutely nothing to do with it, but I just said "Oh. That is interesting." and walked away. I never asked him anything about guns again.
I would ask him a question to him every day, compile them and post them on the joke thread
__________________
magnumman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #33
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,591
Liked 8850 Times on 5123 Posts
Likes Given: 11575

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
I would ask him a question to him every day, compile them and post them on the joke thread
This was years ago. If it were recently I would do just that!

Heck, this guy could be Shoobee! He lives in Sunnyvale CA and goes to many of the same places that Shoobee said he went to. Hmmmmm.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JD1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lockport,Illinois
Posts: 748
Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default

My GG Grandfathers last name was Sauer. Our family always pronounced it with a Z sound.

__________________

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

JD1969 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willshoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houma, La.,La.
Posts: 5,433
Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Pronunciation.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I once asked on here is it.....

Carbine......is it Car_bean or Carb_eye-n.

I was embarrassed to discover I was saying it wrong.
Lets ask the arse hole during the wars. wat was you killed by, a rifle or a carbean......
__________________

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

willshoum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 AM   #36
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,977
Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Lets ask the arse hole during the wars. wat was you killed by, a rifle or a carbean......
"Neither, it was a carb-eye-n.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

OK, I know generally, but what I wonder is what, precisely, distinguishes a carbine from a rifle?
There is a model, the name escapes me, that came in a rifle, short rifle, and a carbine. The difference between the short rifle and carbine had something to do with OAL and barrel bands I think.

Personally, I think crap like this is over thought.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #38
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,591
Liked 8850 Times on 5123 Posts
Likes Given: 11575

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
There is a model, the name escapes me, that came in a rifle, short rifle, and a carbine. The difference between the short rifle and carbine had something to do with OAL and barrel bands I think.

Personally, I think crap like this is over thought.
Hmmm. Well, that gives me something to think about.......
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Hmmm. Well, that gives me something to think about.......
It was a lever action. I wanna say Winchester. I'll do some googling and see if I can find the info.

It very well could have just been a gun rag writer just being an anal retentive ass.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
canebrake Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,612
Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

It was a lever action. I wanna say Winchester. I'll do some googling and see if I can find the info.

It very well could have just been a gun rag writer just being an anal retentive ass.
An anal ass.... hmmmm. Lol
__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Proper Use Of The 1911 billt 1911 Forum 16 10-13-2012 11:06 PM
Mosin nagant pronunciation sniper762 General Rifle Discussion 19 07-29-2012 06:39 PM
Proper storage? frank1019 General Handgun Discussion 10 04-20-2012 01:06 PM
Proper lubrication. almostgem AK & SKS Discussion 10 11-30-2011 09:50 PM
Proper Veterans Gojubrian The Club House 26 06-21-2009 01:44 AM