propane vs. charcoal - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > propane vs. charcoal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #51
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Let the steak set in some Jack Daniels for 20 minutes on both sides with some garlic. Get a flat iron smokin hot. Sear both sides and throw it on the grill. A rare steak should only be cooked long enough as to where a good Vet can get back on its feet in 30 minutes.
that's right Durango! if a good vet can't get it back on it's feet in 30 minutes, it's overcooked! i am wanting to try flat iron cooking a steak. maybe next winter i will fabricate a cooker for doing it. the the Jack Daniels marinade sounds good, might have to try that.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Axxe,

I learned a new technique which I'm really liking.

SLOWLY heat the steak, and it should be room temperature before starting, use a digital remote thermometer. When it reaches 95°, put it on the hot side of the grill for searing. Take the meat up to desired temperature. For me it's about 125°, which is a nice warm rare Let it sit for several minutes before serving. I'm still working on letting it sit and keeping it warm. Haven't got that technique resolved yet.
Partdeux, i might have to give this a try too. usually i leave mine in the fridge right up until ready to cook on the grill. i try to go for really hot and fast cooking time. i always cook the meat last so that it's still plenty hot from the grill when it hits the plate.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #53

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverg420
i always use charcoal !

image-2883661374.jpg

Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #54

Liked 2473 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
Axxe,

I learned a new technique which I'm really liking.

SLOWLY heat the steak, and it should be room temperature before starting, use a digital remote thermometer. When it reaches 95°, put it on the hot side of the grill for searing. Take the meat up to desired temperature. For me it's about 125°, which is a nice warm rare Let it sit for several minutes before serving. I'm still working on letting it sit and keeping it warm. Haven't got that technique resolved yet.
I've found that letting it set for 5-10 minutes, covered, is ideal. The meat is still cooking, and it seems even juicier afterwards.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #55
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7194 Times on 4329 Posts
Likes Given: 8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Let the steak set in some Jack Daniels for 20 minutes on both sides with some garlic. Get a flat iron smokin hot. Sear both sides and throw it on the grill. A rare steak should only be cooked long enough as to where a good Vet can get back on its feet in 30 minutes.
I know this doesn't have anything to do with "Propane vs. Charcoal" but I make a shredded beef that is flavoured with Jack Daniels. It takes a full 24 hours to make in the Crock Pot from cooking the pot roast, shredding it, skimming off the fat and cooking it some more with the Jack Daniels. It is absolutely delicious.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Partdeux, i might have to give this a try too. usually i leave mine in the fridge right up until ready to cook on the grill. i try to go for really hot and fast cooking time. i always cook the meat last so that it's still plenty hot from the grill when it hits the plate.
I had read about making sure the meat is not cold before cooking it on other sites. amazingribs.com, is an amazing site, and the one where I learned about the "inverse" searing technique. Biggest problem I'm running into, even with a four burner grill, I can't get one side hot enough to slowly bring up the temperature of the meat on the other side of the grill to properly sear the meat.

Here is the link to the steak technique
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html