propane vs. charcoal - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

propane vs. charcoal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The flavor of gas would be like having a picnic at a truck stop. Charcoal is only wood that has already been used. The only way to cook is to burn cured hard wood down to the white and then cook.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #22

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1

Shh, that's breaking guy code.

For me, It's all or nothing. Weber is what I usually use, but for flavor you can't beat real wood. Real wood doesn't come in a bag in perfect little nuggets. A week and a half ago I cooked tilapia, a chicken, and some new York strips over apple wood that was a little green still... Lots of smoke
When I get to buying a house and a bigger grill, wood is going to be the cooking medium. People at the apartment frown when I even use smoking chips.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

i use a weber performer2 http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/performer-series/performer-2.

propane should only ever be used to start the charcoal. just pour some briquettes in the charcoal baskets, turn on the propane with the coals over the flame, go inside prep the food, food prep done come back out move charcoal baskets where you want. turn the gas off, put the food on the grill and cook.

doesnt get any easier. ease of gas starting great charcoal flavor

gas grills i might as well use the broiler in my stove tastes the same
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #24

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Brinkman smokenpit and a stainless 7 burner propane. Depending on cooking style, time available, amount of beer available ...
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
If i was to ever use propane...it would be strickland propane
Taste the meat.. not the heat.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

The gas grill was retired years ago. Strictly charcoal/wood or the Traeger smoker, with the preference going to the Traeger. The Weber is for when we are in a hurry, or if that isn't quick enough it goes in the oven. Propane grills suck unless you use wood chips to get some smoke and they only suck a little bit less then.

Traegers are the best, the base model comes with a three position thermostat (smoke, medium and high I think) or there is an accessory thermostat that you can fine-tune as you like. I have the 3-position one and it works fine for me. You can also get any wood pellets you want in 20# bags, apple, alder, oak, mesquite, whatever floats your boat.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #27

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I like to taste my food not what I use to cook it. $100 says I can make a better steak on my gas grill than you canon. Charcoal grill. I use charcoal to get the fire going for soaking then. Use wood to soak. For normal every day cook which I do a lot of gas is the way. I dont want to mess with ashes every day.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #28

Liked 649 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Charcoal always

Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #29

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

I had cooked on charcoal for 25+ yrs and still do on the smoker but I recently bought a radiant heat gas and I really like it . Its quick , food tastes great , and the wife does a damn good job with steaks on it . She would burn the piss out of them with charcoal

Old 06-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I had cooked on charcoal for 25+ yrs and still do on the smoker but I recently bought a radiant heat gas and I really like it . Its quick , food tastes great , and the wife does a damn good job with steaks on it . She would burn the piss out of them with charcoal
Wait. You just admitted on a public forum that your wife does the cooking on the grill. Is that allowed?