Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > propane vs. charcoal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Default propane vs. charcoal

Which do you prefer? I recently bought a Weber charcoal grill. Its my first charcoal. I've always had gas.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love the taste of charcoal but I cant cook worth crap on one so I stick to gas

Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #4

Liked 1038 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 319

I just got a Weber gas grill as an early Fathers day gift and it is unlike any gas grill I have ever had, it works great! It's worth the extra money and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

I prefer gas because it's easier to control and quicker to get to temperature. However if I wanted to cook the perfect steak and had an unlimited supply of time to do so, I would choose charcoal because it can get hotter.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 31 Posts

Charcoal tastes better, propane's faster and more convenient.

Propane for normal days, charcoal for cookouts and tailgates.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Charcoal... no substitute. You cant get the amazing flavor with gas. You would have to season the crap out of it using gas.

For some reason an episode of "married with children" just came to mind. Al never cleaned his grill for that perfect flavor.. it gets better when cooking with dead relatives ashes.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #7

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I only use charcoal, propane doesnt give a grilled flavor to the food. plus there is nothing like the smell of a burning charcoal grill in the cool evening.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I have a Weber natural gas BBQ. I have a Weber Baby Q that runs on propane for the RV. I use the BBQ a lot and the charcoal is too much hassle. I do a 10 minute warm up before grilling which get the temp up to 500+ degrees then turn down the flame when I put the meat on. I can do roasts on the big one at 300 or steaks at 450.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Charcoal, tending the fire lends itself better more beer consumption, gas is good for when you're actually trying to cook instead being drunk and sun burned

Old 06-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big19Ben View Post
Charcoal, tending the fire lends itself better more beer consumption, gas is good for when you're actually trying to cook instead being drunk and sun burned
Now that's what I'm talkin about...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington