Proof there are still people that appreciate our Veterans

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Proof there are still people that appreciate our Veterans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Proof there are still people that appreciate our Veterans

I am SO PROUD to call this group of people my friends, no scratch that my FAMILY! I am a long time member of a forum called GlamisDunes.com. 12 years ago it was a small group that loved going to the sand dunes in California. I actually met my husband via that site in a roundabout way, and we had a HUGE party/wedding 8 amazing years ago in Glamis. Over the years it has grown to 60K+ members strong and has some of the most amazing people I have had the pleasure of meeting in my life. We would go to the dunes a few times a month, we had toys and life was pretty good for everyone. We saw our little group explode into a few hundred strong in one camping area and a few thousand strong on holidays.

In 2004 we (unknowingly at the time) decided we were going to make a ride to an old flagpole that was flying a weather worn American flag an annual tradition. We found who had the keys to the lock and there was 6-8 veterans with us and we changed Old Glory to a new flag that flew high and proud! The next year (our group begun the growth like crazy around this time) we had easily double the amount of Veterans, it was officially a MUST GO trip every year after that. Last year there was easily 150+ Veterans and each year we have a whole ceremony explaining the meaning of Veterans Day, presentation of custom made "Challenge Coins" and most importantly, each and every Veteran is asked to come up, speak their years of service, branch and they are ALL given a handshake/hug/THANK YOU!

It is a sight to see with many people in recent years bringing their grandparent that served (we are talking a really remote area, gotta ride there through the dunes), spouses/family members accepting on behalf of the fallen and it really gives us the chance to say thank you to them.

We follow up with a big potluck at camp and the Marines cutting of the cake by an honorary sword and the youngest Marine and serving the oldest present Marine.

So here are a couple videos from past years to give you an idea:

Well fast forward, economy tanked back in 2007 or so and now is starting to rebound. There is an anonymous person(s) on the site that goes by the GlamisDunes Fairy. The GDF has sent money, gift cards, gas cards, made donations to charities in others name etc. with out an expectation of repayment except try and pay it forward with another act of kindness. This past weekend was the Sand Sport Super Show in CA and many come together to say HI, get ready for the season, and we have a group pic at noon on Saturday.

Well this year the GDF was up to his random act of kindness tricks and he hit it out of the park. The recipient in this video is a good friend of mine and both him and his wife served in the military for many years.

http://youtu.be/kpy2YLxMjII
This is probably a 2500.00 bike and WOW. Just a way that the GDF and many that donated their time or money wanted to say THANKS to a Veteran and his wife, and say "see you at the dunes!" . It is custom painted with his name, years of service etc.

It's not hard y'all, just try a little something to thank a vet or simply do a little something kind for your family or neighbor or complete stranger.

Thanks for reading!

QG

PS--sorry for worlds longest post....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis View Post
I am SO PROUD to call this group of people my friends, no scratch that my FAMILY! I am a long time member of a forum called GlamisDunes.com. 12 years ago it was a small group that loved going to the sand dunes in California. I actually met my husband via that site in a roundabout way, and we had a HUGE party/wedding 8 amazing years ago in Glamis. Over the years it has grown to 60K+ members strong and has some of the most amazing people I have had the pleasure of meeting in my life. We would go to the dunes a few times a month, we had toys and life was pretty good for everyone. We saw our little group explode into a few hundred strong in one camping area and a few thousand strong on holidays.

In 2004 we (unknowingly at the time) decided we were going to make a ride to an old flagpole that was flying a weather worn American flag an annual tradition. We found who had the keys to the lock and there was 6-8 veterans with us and we changed Old Glory to a new flag that flew high and proud! The next year (our group begun the growth like crazy around this time) we had easily double the amount of Veterans, it was officially a MUST GO trip every year after that. Last year there was easily 150+ Veterans and each year we have a whole ceremony explaining the meaning of Veterans Day, presentation of custom made "Challenge Coins" and most importantly, each and every Veteran is asked to come up, speak their years of service, branch and they are ALL given a handshake/hug/THANK YOU!

It is a sight to see with many people in recent years bringing their grandparent that served (we are talking a really remote area, gotta ride there through the dunes), spouses/family members accepting on behalf of the fallen and it really gives us the chance to say thank you to them.

We follow up with a big potluck at camp and the Marines cutting of the cake by an honorary sword and the youngest Marine and serving the oldest present Marine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubhRdF-SCJU&feature=share&list=PLA6C775A9B36B663C
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGX-KU14AJE&feature=share&list=PLA6C775A9B36B663C

Well fast forward, economy tanked back in 2007 or so and now is starting to rebound. There is an anonymous person(s) on the site that goes by the GlamisDunes Fairy. The GDF has sent money, gift cards, gas cards, made donations to charities in others name etc. with out an expectation of repayment except try and pay it forward with another act of kindness. This past weekend was the Sand Sport Super Show in CA and many come together to say HI, get ready for the season, and we have a group pic at noon on Saturday.

Well this year the GDF was up to his random act of kindness tricks and he hit it out of the park. The recipient in this video is a good friend of mine and both him and his wife served in the military for many years.

This is probably a 2500.00 bike and WOW. Just a way that the GDF and many that donated their time or money wanted to say THANKS to a Veteran and his wife, and say "see you at the dunes!" . It is custom painted with his name, years of service etc.

It's not hard y'all, just try a little something to thank a vet or simply do a little something kind for your family or neighbor or complete stranger.

Thanks for reading!

QG

no need to be sorry! that is simply awesome indeed! our veterans, past and present, need to be recognized and honored for their services and sacrifices.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9560 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

NOT the longest post here by any means- and thank you!

That looks like a HOOT! Please accept the thought for the deed, and hoist a cold one for me next time.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Sounds like a good time.

Thank you for your dedication to those who deserve so much yet expect nothing.

(For the record, having never deployed to combat, I do not personally count myself in that group of Veterans. I know many will disagree with that, but that's just how I feel)

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubhRdF-SCJU&feature=share&list=PLA6C775A9B36B663C
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGX-KU14AJE&feature=share&list=PLA6C775A9B36B663C

Video Link: http://youtu.be/kpy2YLxMjII

Thanks for reading!

QG

That is truly outstanding, Thank you so much for sharing!!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1780 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 9875

QG, thank you for sharing this, and thank you to all of the members of your group for what they do to honor veterans. My dad was in the Marine Corps for a little over 22 years, so I grew up around veterans and their families. I know first hand how it feels to wonder if that person who means so much and asks so little will be coming home. It is not easy for those who serve and those who wait for them. I thank every vet that I meet, and I thank their family members as well. Tell your friends to keep up the good work, and pass my thanks on to them as well.

And to all on here who are serving, have served, and the parents, grandparents, children, and spouses. Thank you for your service to our country.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1343 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubhRdF-SCJU&feature=share&list=PLA6C775A9B36B663C
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGX-KU14AJE&feature=share&list=PLA6C775A9B36B663C

Thanks for reading!

QG

From a Veteran, Thank You !...................

When all else fails.