Project Dodge 4x4 update... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Project Dodge 4x4 update...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3143 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 4630

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
Looks good Cindy. I have a couple questions. Looks like from the pics the rear is spooled and the front has the Ox???? We use air lockers a lot in rocks but I would be concerned the air line would get pulled out plowing thru mud??? I pulled mine loose a couple times even in rocks back in the day when I ran an ARB up front. Also give a report on the Transfer case when you get it going. I run an Atlas and they have served me well over the years and they have the best customer support of all but that Ox is a good looking case. No one in our group has tried it though?????
After consulting with my mechanic, yes, the rear is a spool. He said the air locker in front is so i can turn it on and off to drive it on the street. He said he is putting some kind of guard where it attaches to the housing, and looks like some kind of springy thing goes around the line, so it should be ok unless it takes a direct hit.... But admits, it is an experimental application...lol. Its been a slow process, parts of the truck are everywhere. frame and running gear are at one place, cab is on a trailer at my house, and bed/fenders somewhere else. Going to gut the interior and put in some kind of seats with a harness and a roll cage. The guy that is doing the bulk of the work is a full time mechanic at a Jeep dealership, so stuff gets done, when it gets done. I really wish i knew more about whats going on, so i could do more of it myself, but im learning alot. And the truck will be a good winter project for us.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
After consulting with my mechanic, yes, the rear is a spool. He said the air locker in front is so i can turn it on and off to drive it on the street. He said he is putting some kind of guard where it attaches to the housing, and looks like some kind of springy thing goes around the line, so it should be ok unless it takes a direct hit.... But admits, it is an experimental application...lol. Its been a slow process, parts of the truck are everywhere. frame and running gear are at one place, cab is on a trailer at my house, and bed/fenders somewhere else. Going to gut the interior and put in some kind of seats with a harness and a roll cage. The guy that is doing the bulk of the work is a full time mechanic at a Jeep dealership, so stuff gets done, when it gets done. I really wish i knew more about whats going on, so i could do more of it myself, but im learning alot. And the truck will be a good winter project for us.
Guinea pig!!!!!I;,m kidding.....
Selectable Lockers are good if you are driving on the street and they are strong. A friend kept blowing out his Detroit in the rear diff so he went to an ARB and hasn't had any more trouble. Your mechanic probably bought the pump when he bought the locker but if not may I suggest running it off a CO2 bottle. The pumps you get with those lockers are high pressure and low volume and aren't much good for anything but operating the locker. CO2 on the other hand can be used to air tires, run impacts and other air tools.
Looks and sounds like you guys are getting it together . Be patient. It takes time to do it right and as you stated you will have something to do this winter. Look forward to seeing the in between and the finished product. Maybe we can get you guys down south to play on some rocks some time. Keep posting pics!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, what kind of fuel economy will it get when you are done?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
so, what kind of fuel economy will it get when you are done?
:d
lol...........

Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
Guinea pig!!!!!I;,m kidding.....
Selectable Lockers are good if you are driving on the street and they are strong. A friend kept blowing out his Detroit in the rear diff so he went to an ARB and hasn't had any more trouble. Your mechanic probably bought the pump when he bought the locker but if not may I suggest running it off a CO2 bottle. The pumps you get with those lockers are high pressure and low volume and aren't much good for anything but operating the locker. CO2 on the other hand can be used to air tires, run impacts and other air tools.
Looks and sounds like you guys are getting it together . Be patient. It takes time to do it right and as you stated you will have something to do this winter. Look forward to seeing the in between and the finished product. Maybe we can get you guys down south to play on some rocks some time. Keep posting pics!!!!!!!
The pump came with the kit. but i would like to look into the CO2 idea .. Can you suggest any brands, or a website..? Is that the same as compressed air..? Some of the guys have tube bumpers that they weld up and fill with air for tires.. Will that work to run my air locker..?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
About 5 mudholes to the gallon. 3 if she tows a buddy with her........
People Like This 
Old 09-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
lets see............my 4x4 Dodge has 3.55 gears, a 5.2 ltr. and a 5 speed manual trans, and gets if i am lucky on the hiway, maybe 12 MPG.

hers, with the 4.88 gears, probably less than 10 for sure!

Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Quote:
The pump came with the kit. but i would like to look into the CO2 idea .. Can you suggest any brands, or a website..? Is that the same as compressed air..? Some of the guys have tube bumpers that they weld up and fill with air for tires.. Will that work to run my air locker..?
Take a look at these guys, they've probably one of the best if not the best for offroad setups.

http://www.powertank.com/
“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
Take a look at these guys, they've probably one of the best if not the best for offroad setups.

http://www.powertank.com/
Thanks.....

Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Quote:
Thanks.....
You are welcome.
“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly