Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Progressive Insurance "Snapshot"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1697 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 3474

Default Progressive Insurance "Snapshot"

You need to watch the video and/or read the article. I thought the article was BS, nope! I have added progressive website on the product.

Progressive: Lower rates if they can spy

Snapshot

What is "Snapshot"

Now, Progressive is taking it further, offering drivers in Ohio, Kentucky, and 20 states a program called "Snapshot," that provides discounts up to 30 percent. (It is not yet available in Indiana or Florida).

The Catch

There's one catch. You have to let Progressive install a gadget under your dash to monitor and transmit your driving habits.

Company spokesman Richard Hutchinson told us, "This is a new approach to auto insurance. It allows you the consumer to share your driving to get a discount."

He says after the first 30 days, your rates will go down, as much as 30 percent, if Snapshot finds you:

•Drive at reasonable speeds, without jackrabbit starts
•Avoid hard stops
•Don't drive late at night

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

They also wanted to run a credit check before offering me a policy about ten years ago. I hung up the phone....

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's a thought........THEN DON'T BUY YOUR INSURANCE FROM PROGRESSIVE!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 998 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 311

I think it's a great idea. Remember this is voluntary and a business implementing it, not the government. You have a choice to save more money if your a good driver.

I would never choose this as my rates would likely skyrocket.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I think it's a great idea. Remember this is voluntary and a business implementing it, not the government. You have a choice to save more money if your a good driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
OMG what who ever thought of doing that guys.

I'm like yunus living in the dc metro area is not conductive to driving the speed limit, no jackrabbit starting, and not driving late at night. TO get to dc at a decent hour you have to leave my house at 4am.... If you don't jump off the line like a pro stock car then you libel to get someone rear ending you. If you drive the speed limit I know someone with rear end you. on I-95 the right lane is 70 middle lane is 75 and the left lane is 85+ and the speed limit is 65 for the most part....

Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
You need to watch the video and/or read the article. I thought the article was BS, nope! I have added progressive website on the product.

Progressive: Lower rates if they can spy

Snapshot

What is "Snapshot"

Now, Progressive is taking it further, offering drivers in Ohio, Kentucky, and 20 states a program called "Snapshot," that provides discounts up to 30 percent. (It is not yet available in Indiana or Florida).

The Catch

There's one catch. You have to let Progressive install a gadget under your dash to monitor and transmit your driving habits.

Company spokesman Richard Hutchinson told us, "This is a new approach to auto insurance. It allows you the consumer to share your driving to get a discount."

He says after the first 30 days, your rates will go down, as much as 30 percent, if Snapshot finds you:

•Drive at reasonable speeds, without jackrabbit starts
•Avoid hard stops
•Don't drive late at night
you do relize that everything you say and do on the internet is recorded for EVER.... You better get off before the black army cia choppers come to get you.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I feel conflicted. I like paying less, but don't want them to know where I'm going. Hmmmm.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #8

Liked 100 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post

On the other side of the coin, the insurance companies can use your car against you already if you've been in an accident. The engine control computer in your car stores all that data into memory whenever it detects a fault in the system. And there will be several faults that pop up in any decent fender bender. The little black box is an eyewitness as to what was going on with the car when it happened. We had plenty of insurance adjusters come and pull the computer out of wrecked vehicles they were processing claims on.

The car companies do the same thing on some warranty claims. Had a gal come in one day with a new (1 month old) V-6, six speed coupe that she claimed "just stopped running" as she was driving down the highway on her way home from work one evening. We were all a bit suspicious about her story after we opened the hood and looked at the engine. Seems half the connecting rods were now outside the engine block - instead of being on the inside.

We pulled up the data from the computer and noticed in particular, two parameters right off the bat.
Vehicle speed: 128 MPH
Engine speed: 10,342 RPM
Note: Red line on the tach is 6,200 RPM

We finally got her to admit that her boyfriend "borrowed" the car one night and it never came back. Seems he was out on the highway having some fun and ran up on some traffic and downshifted in a hurry to slow down.
From 6th gear into 2nd...........

Oooops!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Well, I obviously didn't because.... I HUNG UP.

Good day to you, sir.

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #10

Liked 100 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
They also wanted to run a credit check before offering me a policy about ten years ago. I hung up the phone....
I hate to mention it, but I'm quite sure your current insurance company has already done that at least once since you signed up.

What does it matter is they ask up front?