Professor Called Police After Student Presentation

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Professor Called Police After Student Presentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Professor Called Police After Student Presentation

Professor Called Police After Student Presentation

Posted by admin on 2/24/09 • Categorized as News

For CCSU student John Wahlberg, a class presentation on campus violence turned into a confrontation with the campus police due to a complaint by the professor.

On October 3, 2008, Wahlberg and two other classmates prepared to give an oral presentation for a Communication 140 class that was required to discuss a “relevant issue in the media”. Wahlberg and his group chose to discuss school violence due to recent events such as the Virginia Tech shootings that occurred in 2007.

Shortly after his professor, Paula Anderson, filed a complaint with the CCSU Police against her student. During the presentation Wahlberg made the point that if students were permitted to conceal carry guns on campus, the violence could have been stopped earlier in many of these cases. He also touched on the controversial idea of free gun zones on college campuses.

That night at work, Wahlberg received a message stating that the campus police “requested his presence”. Upon entering the police station, the officers began to list off firearms that were registered under his name, and questioned him about where he kept them.

They told Wahlberg that they had received a complaint from his professor that his presentation was making students feel “scared and uncomfortable”.

“I was a bit nervous when I walked into the police station,” Wahlberg said, “but I felt a general sense of disbelief once the officer actually began to list the firearms registered in my name. I was never worried however, because as a law-abiding gun owner, I have a thorough understanding of state gun laws as well as unwavering safety practices.”

Professor Anderson refused to comment directly on the situation and deferred further comment.

“It is also my responsibility as a teacher to protect the well being of our students, and the campus community at all times,” she wrote in a statement submitted to The Recorder. “As such, when deemed necessary because of any perceived risks, I seek guidance and consultation from the Chair of my Department, the Dean and any relevant University officials.”

Wahlberg believes that her complaint was filed without good reason.

“I don’t think that Professor Anderson was justified in calling the CCSU police over a clearly nonthreatening matter. Although the topic of discussion may have made a few individuals uncomfortable, there was no need to label me as a threat,” Wahlberg said in response. “The actions of Professor Anderson made me so uncomfortable, that I didn’t attend several classes. The only appropriate action taken by the Professor was to excuse my absences.”

The university police were unavailable for comment.

“If you can’t talk about the Second Amendment, what happened to the First Amendment?” asked Sara Adler, president of the Riflery and Marksmanship club on campus. “After all, a university campus is a place for the free and open exchange of ideas.”

Professor Called Police After Student Presentation | CCSU Recorder

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2009, 05:41 AM   #2

I believe the police were trying to dodge the 4th amendment.
He did not whip out a gun and point it at students, so I dont know what he did wrong.

Some teachers just have no clue.

S.S.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:47 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
“If you can’t talk about the Second Amendment, what happened to the First Amendment?”
It fell victim to campus speech codes.

Quote:
“After all, a university campus is a place for the free and open exchange of ideas.”
I wonder if she is really this naive? Unfortunately the educational system has been all but hijacked by liberals. I have a family member who teaches at a state college here in Oklahoma, and he says he is probably the only conservative in the Social Science faculty. This is in a state where every single county went for McCain in the last election. I can only imagine how bad it must be in places like Central Connecticutt State University.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #4

I'm glad that I am not at a college like this. Most of the students on this campus own one or more guns. And several of the professors are pro 2nd amendment and the rest just don't care either way.

"No man ever won a war by dying for his country, He won by making the other poor bastard die for his" - General George S. Patton

Old 02-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

A lot of university and college professors' idea of "diversity of thought" means people of many different ethnic and economic backgrounds all agreeing on the same leftist anti-American views.

This is an unfortunate but predictable event.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
I believe the police were trying to dodge the 4th amendment.
He did not whip out a gun and point it at students, so I dont know what he did wrong.

Some teachers just have no clue.

S.S.
Most teachers have no clue when it comes to the Bill of Rights. They will espouse some drivel about the First Amendment, but really have no clue what it really is. Much less the the other 9 parts of the BoR.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
A lot of university and college professors' idea of "diversity of thought" means people of many different ethnic and economic backgrounds all agreeing on the same leftist anti-American views.

This is an unfortunate but predictable event.

That is a perfect summation of the way things are BKT.

I am sure Professor Anderson supports the 1st Amendment Right of the Westboro Baptist Church though.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 02-28-2009 at 01:28 PM.