Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Procedure During a Ban?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/procedure-during-ban-8264/)

Vertiviper 11-07-2008 08:59 PM

Procedure During a Ban??

Just curious since I didn't own a black rifle during the last ban..

If ARs get banned, does this mean that you can no longer purchase one or will someone come to my house and take it from me?

-If they come take it, will I be reimberssed?

Dillinger 11-07-2008 09:13 PM

Another of the great myths - this is actually good to get out in the open though.

Okay, the LAST TIME, in all the free terror-tory's ( not including Kalifornia, NY, NJ, etc. ) if you had an AR or an AK on the books, as in legally yours, prior to the ban going into effect, you were allowed to keep it. No one came and took it away from you.

However, getting your hands on the pieces to modify one ( like the collapsible stock that was flat outlawed ) became a search for the Holy Grail if you didn't know someone. ;)

It is the conventional wisdom that in most of the "free" firearm states, if you have an AR on the books, or a lower at least, you will be grandfathered in and will be allowed to keep it.

I am not even going to pretend to know all the bylaws and conditions, because last time this happened, I wasn't this heavily into the Evil Black Rifle camp as I am this time, so I will defer to the rest of the forum for knowledge there.

Anyone out there who was a victim during AWB part 1??

matt g 11-07-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 49356)
Another of the great myths - this is actually good to get out in the open though.

Okay, the LAST TIME, in all the free terror-tory's ( not including Kalifornia, NY, NJ, etc. ) if you had an AR or an AK on the books, as in legally yours, prior to the ban going into effect, you were allowed to keep it. No one came and took it away from you.

However, getting your hands on the pieces to modify one ( like the collapsible stock that was flat outlawed ) became a search for the Holy Grail if you didn't know someone. ;)

It is the conventional wisdom that in most of the "free" firearm states, if you have an AR on the books, or a lower at least, you will be grandfathered in and will be allowed to keep it.

I am not even going to pretend to know all the bylaws and conditions, because last time this happened, I wasn't this heavily into the Evil Black Rifle camp as I am this time, so I will defer to the rest of the forum for knowledge there.

Anyone out there who was a victim during AWB part 1??

It's been the same way in Cali since Cali passed it's own ban. There were restrictions on what you could and couldn't do to your "assault weapons" before the ban. Once they were banned and you registered them, you could do what you liked as long as you didn't violate the barrel length and overall length rules put forth by the BATFE.

bkt 11-08-2008 09:16 AM

See, the part that really bugs me about this is the "...once you registered them, you could do what you liked..."

No one has any business knowing whether I own firearms at all, or what type or how many if I do.

allmons 11-08-2008 11:09 AM

One important tip -

You may want to stop posting pictures of your "collection" on-line. Might just interest the "wrong" jerks.

:(

Mark F 11-08-2008 11:15 AM

"And EVERYBODY knows CRIMINALS are going to FOLLOW the laws of a gun ban"... right?

opaww 11-08-2008 11:32 AM

I guess it depends on what is in the next AWB as to what they will allow and/or do. I know that there were 3 versions of an AWB submitted, each differed in many areas and items outlawed. H.R. 1022 is one of the AWB's as is also H.R. 6257, there is one more that I cannot remember the Bill number of and I am not sure it is even viable as a Bill right now.

I will try and show a small comparison between these two bills.

H.R. 6257 outlaws all high capacity magazines and feeding devices unless they were made before Oct. 1991. Now a common M16/AR-15 Military Mag has no date stamped on it so even if it is a new one you could say it was made before 1991.

H.R. 1022 outlaws all High Capacity mags. And feeding devices that hold more then 10 rounds with no restrictions of manufacturing date But allows what is in circulation at the time of the passage of the bill to be sold and owned.

Neither bill calls for confiscation of any fire arm that I know of but then again It has been a while sense I read through them. Whether or not a new bill is submitted that may call for mandatory turn in and/or confiscation is yet to be seen.

Here is a link to H.R. 6257

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-6257

Here is a link to H.R. 1022

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

Dillinger 11-08-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 49404)
See, the part that really bugs me about this is the "...once you registered them, you could do what you liked..."

No one has any business knowing whether I own firearms at all, or what type or how many if I do.

I totally agree, it should not be done and it should not be allowed, but that is the law of the land. I don't agree with it, but I abide by it as I do considering the laws of murder, taxes and paying for things that I want instead of "taking" them by force.

That said, I am not going to go on a public gun forum and encourage everyone to beg, barter or steal a piece that isn't registered. :cool::rolleyes:

I work part time in a legal, 100% above board gunshop for crying out loud.

However, I would always remind everyone that, in most states, person to person sales are perfectly legal though...

Benning Boy 11-08-2008 09:31 PM

Was around for the last one, the only difference of what was available before and after was the price tag.

Stuff that was already here could still be had, just at three times the price of the pre ban era.

My gut tells me ammo may become the new currency.