Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Private shooting range questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Private shooting range questions

Which agency has jurisdiction when setting private/personal outdoor shooting range?

My in-laws are getting into shooting and they have several properties down south (Rio Grande valley, TX) outside city limits and contemplating on making our own shooting range. Is there a minimum lot requirement or distance from property line?

Any pointers will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Liked 1084 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I have not a clue as to the laws in the local area. Other than a lawyer in the area, I would suggest talking to other local shooting clubs that may be able to point you to any specific rules/regs that must be followed in the area.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After reading a bit more online, I found this...

=============================
Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:
(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:
(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or
(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:
(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.
SECTION 5. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this Act takes effect September 1, 2005.

============================

Since the "mini-ranch" property is 100 acres and outside City limits, looks like we are fine. We will check with the Sheriff and DPS still though. There is already a berm from digging a man made lake so work should be minimal.

Last edited by Poink88; 03-21-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post

Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:
(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or
(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.
SECTION 5. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this Act takes effect September 1, 2005.

Since the "mini-ranch" property is 100 acres and outside City limits, looks like we are fine. We will check with the Sheriff and DPS still though. There is already a berm from digging a man made lake so work should be minimal.
Just some other headaches to ponder...

Range Resources - Document Detail

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post

Poink, all this means is that a municipality cannot shut down a range if neighbors move in around it. However the range would needed to have been build prior to Sept. 1, 1981. (Or at least that is my understanding)

Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I shoot on my own private range all the time. But, I am nowhere near people and buildings. Again, it is my property and I am not open to the public and do not charge friends to shoot when they visit.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

That part applies only to municipalities (cities). The range need not have been established prior to 81. The annexation must have been prior to 81.

There is another section that deals with granting Counties the right to establish range guidlines. Some Counties have done so. Most use similar verbiage (10 acres, etc.)

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8638 Times on 3742 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Your first stop should be to the folks that consult on range design and operation at the NRA.

Uh........you ARE a member, right?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Uh........you ARE a member, right?
NO I am not (for personal reasons) and last I checked, I have the freedom to choose to join or not.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

I have a private range here but I'm in the boonies and nobody cares. It's my secret commando training base. I'm gonna be a general when the SHTF.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous