Private sale/buying, how to do it safely? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Private sale/buying, how to do it safely?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 705 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I responded to a for sale ad (in another forum) and aside from meeting in a neutral location and having a bill of sale (checking the ID of the seller), what else should I do?

How do I go about checking the gun?

BTW, I am in Austin and the sale is in Houston and most likely a cash transaction.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Neutral location? Are you familiar with the area you are going to?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
Neutral location? Are you familiar with the area you are going to?
Honestly, no. Anyone know a good place to do the transaction/sale in Houston, TX?

I guess my idea of neutral is something other than the sellers house. We have some friends around the area whom I will consult to give us ideas.

Since we've never really been to Houston on leisure, we are planning on taking the opportunity to make it a fun trip with the family and visit friends and see some attractions.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Seller stopped communication (thread post, email, PM) so I guess the deal is off.

It is fine if he changed his mind (or sold it to somebody else)...I just wish he would say it/inform me and not just go off line. sigh.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #14

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Seller stopped communication (thread post, email, PM) so I guess the deal is off.

It is fine if he changed his mind (or sold it to somebody else)...I just wish he would say it/inform me and not just go off line. sigh.
Could be a sign that the deal was not right or the seller is not right. Why else would the seller just stop communicating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4603 Times on 2203 Posts
Likes Given: 2278

I would also add the following to your bill of sale he has to sign. Make two copies. Give him the carbon copy.
I would along with his Drivers License Number Get his full Name the Date of Birth and Vehicle Tag Number! If he bulks "RUN" There is a Rat in the Wood Pile. It would be nice if he has a Personal Protection Permit. Then is Drivers License would probably in most cases be sufficient. It would be bad to wind up with a stolen gun and not be able to trace it back. Not to mention having the pistol confiscated and loose all your money.
I am always very cautious when buying from anyone you do not know! The word is CYA!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Could be a sign that the deal was not right or the seller is not right. Why else would the seller just stop communicating?
He got back in touch and we will meet in Houston this weekend. Gave me his cell phone number as well as tons of pictures of the gun stripped.

Thanks guys!