Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Private sale/buying, how to do it safely?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Private sale/buying, how to do it safely?

I responded to a for sale ad (in another forum) and aside from meeting in a neutral location and having a bill of sale (checking the ID of the seller), what else should I do?

How do I go about checking the gun?

BTW, I am in Austin and the sale is in Houston and most likely a cash transaction.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bump.

Nothing? Please help guys.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Hey- some of us have to work for a living (whenever the boss gets behind us)

As far as procedure- think you have it covered. Know who you buy from (in case it turns out it won't his'n to sell). That means if you don't know him, ask for ID. He should ask for yours- or you should offer it.

As far as checking the gun, pick the back parking lot at mini-mart in Houston, fire off a couple of rounds- will never be noticed in the other gunfire. ( YES I am kidding!)

Only thing you CAN do is a visual, bore, action, stock, finish. Would ask for right of return if non-working. Some may suggest running it thru a dealer- if you are so uncomfortable with the deal to need that, would pass on the deal.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Dammit C3, ya beat me to it while writing this! What he said!

Well, after sniffing each others ass's and getting the proper ID requirements and state law requirements out of the way, as you mentioned in your post, the rest is checking the firearm out yourself, it's overall condition, finish, bore-light to bore and barrel, feeding of rounds, snap-caps, and all parts of the firearm functions correctly, from slide to mag release. Suppose you could play it safe, and you could either meet up where a gunsmith resides, other than that, it is pretty much left up to your expertise.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 02-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Geez, I reckon I should respond to this as I deal more guns than a pawn shop.

1. Know the laws in your state
2. Follow the laws to the letter
3. Meet in a public place, preferably during the day
4. Always go armed (if you can)
5. Know what you're buying (know what to look for on that particular gun)
6. Walk away if it doesn't feel right

Here in GA, legal residents can buy, sell, or trade any guns with no paperwork required at all. All that's necessary for the seller is to "reasonably know" that the buyer is qualified - be a GA resident and not be a felon. If a felon says they are not - you've satisfied the law. Many private parties will only deal with a permit holder as this is a very safe way to conduct business. Some folks like to get or receive a bill of sale - some don't.

(BTW, internet connectivity at the office is TERRIBLE today)

Last edited by NGIB; 02-23-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

C3,

Planning on meeting the guy this weekend and want to make sure I psych myself properly and not get tunnel visioned (over excited) to get the gun as fast as I can. (I know that is what most likely will happen if my wife is not present).

ID swap will be necessary since MY pre-printed bill of sale requires drivers license number.

The pistol (Sig P220) is supposed to be like new condition w/ less than 500 rounds through it. Is it not rude to ask if I can disassemble the gun to check?

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #7

If I'm dealing with someone I don't know - you damn betcha I tear the gun down and inspect it. Things to look for on Sigs (I'm assuming alloy frame) - look closely at the frame rails. With 500 rounds or less shot - they should look like new. The "smiley" on the upper end of the barrel near the muzzle should be very light. Remember, classic Sigs are a steel slide running on alloy frame rails so if it looks shaky - it probably is.

Also be sure to test the decocker and also check out the little spring that holds the hammer away from the firing pin. To check this spring, cock the gun, pull the trigger, and check to see you can push the hammer into the firing pin from the rest position and that the spring pushes it back to the rest position. These springs are cheap, but they are a pain to change and it's a symptom of a gun that may not have been well maintained...

Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Here in GA, legal residents can buy, sell, or trade any guns with no paperwork required at all. All that's necessary for the seller is to "reasonably know" that the buyer is qualified - be a GA resident and not be a felon. If a felon says they are not - you've satisfied the law. Many private parties will only deal with a permit holder as this is a very safe way to conduct business. Some folks like to get or receive a bill of sale - some don't.
Researching plane tickets, home prices and job market. KALIFORNIA is at the ass end of logic.

NRA ~ first year member
American Legion ~ 5 continuous yrs
Marines ~ Dues Paid Up For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You must be smokin that liberal sissy ass weed brother.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #9

A special note about Sigs:

Sig sells CPO (certified pre-owned) guns and they come in red boxes. If the Sig you're buying does not come in a factory blue (or black or gray) box with the serial # on it - assume you're getting a CPO gun. This is very important should you ever wish to sell or trade the gun. A CPO is worth a third less (roughly) than a "blue box" Sig. These CPO guns are great values as the factory goes through them and they are tuned & certified - the value is just lower...

Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
A special note about Sigs:

Sig sells CPO (certified pre-owned) guns and they come in red boxes. If the Sig you're buying does not come in a factory blue (or black or gray) box with the serial # on it - assume you're getting a CPO gun. This is very important should you ever wish to sell or trade the gun. A CPO is worth a third less (roughly) than a "blue box" Sig. These CPO guns are great values as the factory goes through them and they are tuned & certified - the value is just lower...
Thanks. It (Sig P220 DAK bi-tone) comes in blue case.

I am aware of the red case (CPO) but did not know the value goes down that much in resale. I appreciate all the tips.

One thing I noticed from the pic...it has a beaver tail, is that normal? I haven't seen one before.

Last edited by Poink88; 02-23-2011 at 08:36 PM.