Prison Reform
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Prison Reform

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Prison Reform

Having been inspired by JDs thread on fixing the death row issues, I propose the the same debate on Prison Reform.

The USA has more prisoners per capita than any other country, the cost is astronomical, it needs to be fixed in the worst way.

So, I am asking for suggestions on how to fix it.

My thoughts, the prisoner base is merely WASTED manpower, I would like to see;
1. Road/chaingang work crews, cleaning and maintaining roads,etc. Any work that needs to be done,period. Prisoners can be fitted with a collar, that if they try to leave the work area they recieve a shock similar to a tazer,with repeated attempts resulting in increased voltages. That should keep the from running off! Oh and there is no pay/compensation for their work.

2. In the prisons, do away with personal property, no cable tv, no radios, the only entertaianment allowed would be newspapers.

3. Frivolous law suits are not permitted, they cant sue because their toilet paper is scratchy.

4. Prisoners are housed in a 10x10 cell. 3 hots and a cot, thats it. NO general population, all prisoners are either in thier cells or on work details. The previously mentioned collars can be used so that if another inmate gets too close to another inmate they both get zapped.

That's all I got for now, any other thoughts? I know these suggestions don't reduce the # of prisoners, but prison would no longer be so...accomodating?

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

See "Russian Gulag".

Old 06-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

3 hots, a cot, free healthcare, cable, free time, exercise equipment.....I bust my butt all week so I can afford to have those things, maybe I should just knock over a couple liquor stores.

Our punishments are so slack there is no real reason for someone not to commit a crime if they are so inclined. I'm with you on the work crew. Everyone in prison needs to be working on something to in some way pay back society for their wrong doing. If they're a danger to society then remove them from society via firing squad.

Rapists and child molesters get a special prize, castration. I don't just mean the berries either, the twig too. Those perverts should lose their man card and the associted equipment. They should also have a big tattoo on their foreheads letting everyone know they're a kid toucher.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Of the people i know who have been locked up beyond the city or county jail, in an actual penitentiary, none reported being fed "3 hots" per day, and i'm just fine with that myself, as i rarely eat three cooked meals in a day myself.

As for inmates working, Parchman prison in MS has a farm & working it isn't very optional. The auto shop is a much sought after option that will keep you in outta the sun of the bean fields. I have a great little bar-b-que grill that some of the prisoners there made for some sort of fundraiser. Were i to be locked up, i would rather work on cars than sit around playing grab-ass with a bunch of people too dumb to get away with whatever they chose to do.

edit* from Parchman's website stats:
The majority of the farming activity involving Agricultural Enterprises takes place at MSP.

During FY 2008, inmates worked a total of 711,360 hours in the agricultural program.
Inmates planted approximately 1,167 acres of vegetables, 214 acres of rice, 2,400 acres of soybeans, 500 acres of wheat and 1,400 acres of corn.
During FY 2008, 88,920 inmate man-days were expended.
During FY 2008, 4,231,455 pounds of vegetables were harvested.
The swine operation weaned 1,008 litters averaging 8.28 pigs per litter with 8,326 weaned.
Feeder hogs marketed totaled 6,198 for $617,661.
The breeding herd received 244 raised gilts into the herd.
The current inventory for breeding, farrowing, nursery, and finishing is 4,372.
There were 551,900 dozen eggs produced ($671,324 cash value).

http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/division_of_institutions%20State%20Prisons.htm

Nooooooobody wants to go to the farm/Parchman; everybody i've heard of getting convicted hopes to do most of their time at a county jail.

Last edited by orangello; 06-25-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
MGH

What about prisons being independent, like food and power? If they want food they have to grow a garden and keep a chicken coup, and if they want lights they have to jump on an electricity-conducting bike for a few hours a day. You could regulate it where all safety aspects of the prison have full power (doors, cameras etc.) but the inmate's cell wouldn't have power if he didn't work for it.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Back to chain gangs, making little rocks out of big rocks, NO workout necessary as they will be too tired to do it, 3 squares and a bed, up at 4AM, lights out at 9PM, NO bullsh!t!!

At Folsom, the inmates used to raise their own beef!!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #7

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Lets see 12 hour work days.

They have to work or else they go to death row. Work is not answering phones and booking hotel rooms. They are going to be out working along side the road picking up trash down to cig butts cutting grass trimming trees painting curbs. What ever needs to be done they will be doing. They will wear bright pink uniforms and be fitted with a tazer belt.

Prison will be lock down when they are there. Cells will be 4' wide by 6' long you have a steel bed frame and you get 1 feather pillow and 1 wool blanket. Inmates will be expects to keep uniforms pressed and boots highly polished.

Child molesters hell we shoot them on sight they never get to prison. When found guilty they are drug out behind the court house and thrown into a pit with 4 hungry mean dogs. Oh yeah after he is shanked a few times....

Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

No amenities -- no cable, no smoking, no cable (except the weather channel), nothing at all except what they give you. Sheriff Joe is onto something.

As for labor...I'm against forced labor. A prisoner can choose to be in solitary or work with others in a very regimented system.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My thoughts on the labor part is that, these convicted criminals have violated other peoples rights (theoreticaly), or broken the law. The have been removed from societal interactions, but I still believe they must contribute to society, in one way or another.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Sheriff Joe Arpaio for President
joe-arpaio.gif  

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA