Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Premium membership

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #121
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7814 Times on 4512 Posts
Likes Given: 10055

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
Everybody is damaged to some extent by their parents or by relationships..... nobody escapes unharmed. Its what you take away from those experiences that counts
Life is what happens to you, your character determines what you do with it.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #122
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8423 Times on 3652 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

A writer I like very much- Robert Service- wrote about the Klondike gold rush. One bit was about a prospector that took great joy not in FINDING gold, but in SEARCHING for it-

Perhaps I am stark crazy, but there’s none of you too sane;
It’s just a little matter of degree.

And that, my friends, describes a LOT of us!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #123

Liked 132 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Guy I work with ordered a hot one about ten years ago. She cost something like $4700. She wasn't at the airport when he went to pick her up, and still hasn't shown up. Seriously.
Did he get a refund or some coupons, or is he still waiting on her?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #124

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger_Nut

Did he get a refund or some coupons, or is he still waiting on her?
Nada. Scammed.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #125
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Nada. Scammed.
I had this German neighbor who bought a wife from the Philippines.
His new wife hated him so much, she was trying to find a new wife for him. I also hear horror stories of guys buying wives from that Island, and having the girls mother show up instead. Now that is funny!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #126
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 205 Times on 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16
Fedral employees? Gee, thats too bad. Are you guys going to have to start working too? Because that would be just too much to ask and the goverment would just be crossing the line there. Are you going to have to start contributing to your own retirement like the rest of the hard working people too? If so, I think that you should go on strike, AGAIN and demand that your 2 hour luch break on a your 6 hour days of 4 days a week is just not enough time to get to the 5 star resturant in the tax payer provided cars, eat your tax payer funded meal, tax payer funded wine, talk on your tax payer funded phone and get back to the office and take your 1 hour tax payer funded nap all while the rest of your day is spent talking about how rough you got it.

Maybe it would be good idea to make some cuts. Cut your weeks to two days a week, not give you any pention, make you work a full 8 hours each day and make you pay for your own health ins., your own phone, your own car, and you own meal. Now I know what you are going to say, "that would be totally unfair". Well thats the reason the are $17,000,000,000,000+ in debt. Better yet lets just pay you guys what your worth and lower the minimum wage to $ZERO.
AND just maybe they can cut your paid days off to 5 a year instead of every day the average calander has as a holiday. You don't need off on Pres. Day, ash Wed, Good Friday, V. Day, Secritary's day, Kwanza, holloween, first day of a season, etc.. And you sure as hell don't need to get paid for taking off on BO's b-day. Maybe you should pay us for that day.
That is the kind of uninformed drivel that is causing the problem. Over the last thirty-five years I have transitioned back and forth between the private and public sector about once every five to ten years. Here is my take:

Public sector pay, retirement and health benefits are not as good as the ones I get in the private sector. This could be because I'm an engineer and there is a worldwide shortage of engineers so the pay and benefit packages offered in the private sector are pretty dammed good. (I know that is the wrong dammed, but I don't know if this forum censors off color words.)

Federal employees pay their own retirement. They get what they invest in the Thrift Savings Plan, and what is earned on it just like a normal 401k, plus social security. Just like most americans.

State and local government retirements are a little different but in many of those funds the employees also contribute, and the employer was supposed to be matching the contribution but wasn't. Politicians screw the pooch, and niminals like you blame the employees. In a lot of cases they have worked for considerably less than workers in similar jobs made in the private sector, with the employer making a commitment to give them a good retirement. If they had made the same money as the corresponding private sector job, and invested the difference they would have about the same retirement benefits.

Most state and local governments do a classification and compensation study at least once a decade. They identify the major components of the job, then find comparable jobs in both the private and public sector and determine the level of compensation the job is worth. They then in theory develop a wage and benefit package to match the compensation so they can compete for employees. Frequently they offer better than average leave time, health benefits and retirement but lower wages. Now that they are faced with actually delivering on the promised retirement benefits that the politicians failed to fund, you want to blame the employees instead of the politicians.

Federal employees do not generally get cell phones. I use my personal phone at work. The one public perception about government that you missed in your rant, unnecessary paperwork is true. And I'd rather donate the cell phone minutes than spend the week filling out forms and getting them approved that it takes to get a government cell phone you can't make personal calls on without it being a felony misuse of government resources.

Lots of holidays and other days off: See the above on compensation studies. They are part of the compensation package. I worked for a state agency that started me at 8-hours of annual leave every two weeks. Why, because they only paid 70%, of what the private sector paid, but days off count as compensation. I worked for a city that had a 35-hour work week. In their case it was that the city didn't want to give pay raises so they kept the pay the same and cut hours, effectively I creasing the hourly rate while maintaining the same payroll cost and decreasing future retirement benefits.

Last week one of my former employers called and asked me if I want to come back to work for them to build a big pipeline, the compensation is roughly twice what I make as a federal government employee.

And, so far as the Federal debt: Ronnie Strayguns is the president who started us down the path of cut taxes, increase government spending through "privatization", and tell people that government is getting smaller while increasing spending and the deficit. The only thing worse than a "Tax and Spend Democrat", is the "Don't Tax, Spend More Republican", which is what we have had for more than two decades now.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #127

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That post was reported, and it and the posts following it were deleted, for good reason.