Pregnant and shooting?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pregnant and shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pregnant and shooting?

Hello all, my wife is pregnant with our second (woot!) and was curious about this. I'll of course run it by our doctor when we go, but wondered what the general consensus was.

Is it okay to shoot while pregnant? She's only a few weeks along now, so I'm sure she'll be fine to shoot into June or July, may not do any past that (expect in an emergency).

What are your thoughts on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

As a happily-single and pregnancy-averse guy who has had the misfortune to be around too many bun-loaded women, the main word that comes to mind is HORMONES.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by king1138 View Post
Hello all, my wife is pregnant with our second (woot!) and was curious about this. I'll of course run it by our doctor when we go, but wondered what the general consensus was.

Is it okay to shoot while pregnant? She's only a few weeks along now, so I'm sure she'll be fine to shoot into June or July, may not do any past that (expect in an emergency).

That's a tough one...

You can't put hearing protection on your wife's stomach and sound at a range can be concussive. A larger caliber handgun may produce 150dB, depending on your proximity this can cause immediate hearing injury.

On an outside range it may not be as bad... On an indoor range I swear I can sometimes *feel* the sound wave from a guy a couple lanes away from me. I can't imagine that that's any good for a baby.

A few weeks in? Who can tell, but women's bodies go through a heckuva lot of changes during pregnancy and who knows what a concussive sound will do.

But... I am not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV so take everything with a grain of salt.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've always heard that the lead exposure (and the gasses inhaled) are very dangerous for an unborn child. Didn't really think about the noise, but that is certainly a factor. Just think, if a baby kicks and responds to certain voices (ie mom or dad) imagine what a gunshot must sound like.

However, I am not a medical professional, am male, and have never had any children. Soooo........insert a grain of salt here.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
I've always heard that the lead exposure (and the gasses inhaled) are very dangerous for an unborn child. Didn't really think about the noise, but that is certainly a factor. Just think, if a baby kicks and responds to certain voices (ie mom or dad) imagine what a gunshot must sound like.

However, I am not a medical professional, am male, and have never had any children. Soooo........insert a grain of salt here.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by king1138 View Post

First, congrats!

Second, my only experience with pregnant women and noise is going to rock concerts. The first was a friend's wife who was (I believe) in the 3rd trimester and an AC/DC concert. Her doctor suggested taking along a pillow to hold around the baby area. The second was a Megadeth concert and my wife who had just entered the 3rd trimester. Her doctor said it should not be an issue if she wore some extra clothes. She did but it was an outdoor concert so she was comfy.

I don't put a bunch of stock in the inhaled gasses thing, but I can see where the exposure would be higher in a poorly vented indoor range.

Since I am neither a doctor or an actor, I would say run it by her doctor but don't be surprised if the doctor says "no way."

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

My ability to offer competent medical advice is overshadowed only by my ability to perform dentistry on myself, and argue cases before the Supreme Court.

Translation- have not a freaking CLUE- this one really- I mean REALLY- needs to go to her Doc.

Re: Lead- there are two routes of entry for lead into the body (not counting getting shot by jealous husband) INHALATION of lead vapor- mainly from primers (lead azide) and INGESTION- eating it. It is important for anyone, especially ladies that are preggers- to wash exposed skin/hands/face after handling ammo or shooting- particularly before eating drinking, applying makeup (like chapstick).

Re: Inhalation- indoor range should have ventilation that puts breeze at your back. Outdoors, should not be issue.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9754

I am female and have had 3 children. Personally, I would not go shooting while pregnant. The sounds to our ears or amplified while "under water". I remember my babies reacting in my belly from various sounds such as fire alarm testing in the workplace and other loud, sudden noises. I wouldn't chance hurting my unborn babies hearing. But as others have suggested, do ask the doctor.

From a Mayo Clinic newsletter

Week 18: Baby begins to hear

Eighteen weeks into your pregnancy, or 16 weeks after conception, your baby's ears begin to stand out on the sides of his or her head. As the nerve endings from your baby's brain "hook up" to the ears, your baby may hear your heart beating, your stomach rumbling or blood moving through the umbilical cord. He or she may even be startled by loud noises.

By now your baby may be 5 1/2 inches (140 millimeters) long from crown to rump and weigh 7 ounces (200 grams).

Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #9

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Besides the amplified sound, I would think there would be a problem with pressure waves in the amniotic fluid. I have children and grand children and I wouldn't either the wife or daughter be around when shooting was going on.
It just isn't worth it. Just my two sheckls.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a pregnant (first trimester) lady inquire about firearms classes for her and her husband. I told her that I would be glad to teach her, but only upon receipt of a statement from her Dr. saying that it would be safe for her to do so. I've had several similar requests over the years, and have never received a statement from a Dr. saying it would be safe to shoot during pregnancy. I haven't found any concrete evidence, either way. I won't risk damaging the hearing of an unborn child, but here are a couple of considerations.....

Dangerous Decibels » Hearing Loss
· A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB - not loud enough to cause damage.
· A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
· When listening to music on earphones at a standard volume level 5, the sound generated reaches a level of 100 dB, loud enough to cause permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
· A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.
then this........

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/C...nt_officer.htm

Noise usually is considered to be detrimental during pregnancy. In most European countries, health regulations forbid pregnant women from working in surroundings with a continuous noise level greater than 80 dB or a rapid-impulse noise level greater than 40 dB, which is much less than the noise of a firearm [6]. In the United States, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration permissible exposure limit for rapid-impulse noise is 140 dB, with additional regulations for continuous noise. The sound levels of firearms are about 125 to 140 dB for rimfire rifles; 140 to 150 dB for rimfire pistols; and 150 to 160 dB for centerfire rifles, pistols, and shotguns [7].

Intrauterine measurements showed that the fetus was not significantly protected against loud noises [8]. One study in human volunteers found a maximal intrauterine noise attenuation of 10 dB at 4000 Hz [9]. In a study of ewes, the noise attenuation was 20 dB at 4000 Hz, but the noise inside the uterus was 2 to 5 dB greater at 250 Hz [10]. In comparison, foam plugs offer attenuation of 12 to 20 dB and are considered to be the least effective hearing protection [7].

Noise exposure during pregnancy has been associated with several disorders, including miscarriage [11,12], intrauterine growth retardation [13,14,16], preterm delivery [12,15,16], hearing loss in babies and children [17], altered immune response in the fetus [18], and hypertension [12]. A combined exposure to noise and lead seems to have an increased toxicity, causing heart lesions, which are not observed for those agents alone [19].

For information only.....

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 04-14-2011 at 03:38 PM.