Predators: Movie Review ( Mild Spoilers )
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Predators: Movie Review ( Mild Spoilers )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Predators: Movie Review ( Mild Spoilers )

So time for another "Is it worth it" JD movie review, because I love entertaining myself.

I have to clarify again that if I pay my money because you intrigued me into the theater, in this case to hit RENT on my DVR, then I will pretty much go along with what you have for a storyline unless it is so far out in left field, or you betray your writing by trying to make a BS story make sense suddenly ( M. Night ShamamalalaHACK ) at which case the gloves are off.

I loved the first Predator movie, and while a lot of folks didn't dig on AVP: Predator vs. Aliens, I enjoyed it for what it was.

This movie is going to be placed second in my opinion of the four Predator movies. I enjoyed it and thought the writing held up.

Robert Rodriguez penned the storyline with several quick/quirky nods and some out right two fingers pointing right at, the original Predator. In that aspect, it is quite entertaining if you are fan of the original Predator because it's like you are in on the joke. My woman, who has never seen Predator, didn't have a clue as to what was going on and sat humbly by while I was enjoying the epic yarn.

Story line is a group of humans wake up in freefall heading for a rich, lush, dense jungle ( which looks great in HD by the way ) and pop chutes to land and "discover" each other. Some are well armed ( and the weaponry is cool in this one, I am giving that a solid 8 out of 10 ) some are hardly armed at all, but their gear all plays into their backstories, which for a change are pretty decent.

The weapons are pretty cool. Adrian Brody got all juiced up for this role. I never liked the guy, but he does a good job. He's packing a modified AA-10 shotgun ( months before The Expendables rocked it ). Oleg Taktarov, former UFC fighter and Sambo champ, is running with Jessie Ventura's battery driven huey door gun and the "sniper" is running a Blaser R93 stick with some stupid looking heavy night/thermal scope.

Without giving too much away, there is a war of attrition between the humans and the multiple Predators, and their minions, who are in charge of what turns out to be a Predator's Hunting Reserve. They bring in "game'' and then they hunt and kill it. Old idea, but a nice new spin on this one I won't spoil for you.

There are some cool Vietnam era throw back boobytraps for some fun and there is some high tech stuff to keep the game interesting.

This movie wouldn't make my top 20 DVD's I would take to Solitary to keep me sane, but it was a great flick to watch from the couch for $4.99 when it was miserable and raining sideways outside.

All in all, I would give this about a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 if you don't go in with some expectations to see the greatest sci-fi flick ever...

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Thanks JD for the review, I liked all the Predator flicks, the previews looked good for this one!

I hope this will be coming to the movie cable channels soon!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

But how much can you really expect from a movie when the first name of the director is "Nimrod."

Old 10-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
But how much can you really expect from a movie when the first name of the director is "Nimrod."
About 1000% more than I can expect from any film with Tim Burton at the helm.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #5

Damn, I forgot a couple of cool points about the movie....

1) Greatest use of a claymore mine, EVAH!!

Also this is the introduction of the next Generation of Predator. The new one is bigger, not by much, but is definitely a lot more broad in the face and head. It has a stupid looking helmut, but there is just a hint of a back story about them and what is basically a promise that you will be seeing them in the future.

Also there is a Benning Only fight scene in this filming that will NO DOUBT inspire yet another transformation/visitor.

JD

Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
About 1000% more than I can expect from any film with Tim Burton at the helm.
The truth.....but Burton just LOOKS like a nimrod! And his movies have been nimrod-ish lately.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #7

Quote:
The truth.....but Burton just LOOKS like a nimrod! And his movies have been nimrod-ish lately.
Lately he says... LOL

I honestly have never seen a Burton movie I enjoyed. And that includes the First Batman.

Yes, I was that one guy who ranted on and on about how much it sucked prior to the internet being the place to bitch about movies.

The same goes for any movie with Roland Emmerich at the helm. That guy sucks and should be beaten with a pool ball in a sweatsock.

I do however enjoy some Rennie Harlan movies, except he will forever be on the list for the blasphemy that was Die Hard II

Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Lately he says... LOL

I honestly have never seen a Burton movie I enjoyed. And that includes the First Batman.

Yes, I was that one guy who ranted on and on about how much it sucked prior to the internet being the place to bitch about movies.

The same goes for any movie with Roland Emmerich at the helm. That guy sucks and should be beaten with a pool ball in a sweatsock.

I do however enjoy some Rennie Harlan movies, except he will forever be on the list for the blasphemy that was Die Hard II
Can't say that I disagree, except that.....I LOVED "Big Fish!"

Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Can't say that I disagree, except that.....I LOVED "Big Fish!"
Another +1 for Big Fish. And I liked AVP. A client of mine was in it, which I did not know til I saw it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
The weapons are pretty cool. Adrian Brody got all juiced up for this role. I never liked the guy, but he does a good job. He's packing a modified AA-10 shotgun ( months before The Expendables rocked it ). Oleg Taktarov, former UFC fighter and Sambo champ, is running with Jessie Ventura's battery driven huey door gun and the "sniper" is running a Blaser R93 stick with some stupid looking heavy night/thermal scope.
You mean the AA-12 automatic shotgun, or is the weapon that Adrian Brody has really an air-to-air mid-range AA-10 tactical missile?

Anyway, +1 for the great review as always JD. I'll have to look out for this one.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin