Powerball Wishlist - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Powerball Wishlist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd buy a yacht, and hire a teacher for my son so we can travel the world. The yach would have to be big enough to hold all of my friends, and the crew. I would then start pirate hunting off the coast of Somalia. Ahhh...the life!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great Scott, I completely forgot about this idea. Thanks for bringing it up.

Well to start it off I'll be looking for a few 1000 acres up near up near hot sulfur springs in the mountains west of Denver. Fall there is just......mmmm gorgeous.

Then I'll build a nice 2000 square foot home with all the essentials, hot tub waterfalling into the pool which is half inside half outside. a at least 100yd range that is off my back porch covered of course. completely off the grid as well, i'll have my own electric all that jazz

my land will also have to have some water on it so i can justify one of these babys:

and a few off road vehicles here and there and helo or two maybe a plane too.

oh and like tango said....one gun of every kind....plus maybe i'll start my own ammunition manufacturing company just so I don't have to worry

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

This is easy and it's hard all at the same time. Around here, we have only had the powerball for about 3 or so years I believe, a really high jackpot is in the $120-$150 range. Right now I believe it's $94mil.

Now, on the surface that is a TON of cash, but when you examine it, you have to be careful.

Take the 50% cash payout? You get a check for half the amount, and then you have to turn around and pay massive taxes.

Take the 25 year payments and you have a few million a year coming in and a much greater chance that you can divert a lot of the taxes. Since I am only 40 and in decent health, I would definitely look at going this route.

Now, you have to disappear at first. Everyone that knew you is going to coming around looking for a hand out of with the next big investment opportunity. You can't get suckered in, that is where a lot of winners go wrong. They want to bring everyone up to their level with gifts and houses and cars. Nice idea, not a great financial plan though.

Setting up trusts for those you care about, now that is a good plan. They get a monthly stipend, their money sits and grows in value, and you aren't out a ton of cash per person right off the bat. You can add to it each year when you get your check if you wish.

As for some things that I would look into buying.

Valhalla Training Center - I believe it has closed down, as has the resort, but it's an incredible place that is already got everything you need and it's up above Telluride, Co. so it's not like people can just "drop in on you".
I would like to bring it back on line, host FTF training and meets, and I would be able to shoot everyday with varying degrees of scenarios and applications. As an aside, since my US members will have easy access, I will have to organize some out of the country pipelines to get guys like Francisco ( hires for bush training & wine knowledge ) Asmel ( I need a guy who is good with machines and monkeys, cmon!) zhuk and davyboy over here. Once here, it would be hard to get them out with the contacts we will have developed.

I would then set up a charity with the local PD. They would get funding from me, for tax purposes on my end, for all the good hardware they need. I get the ability to have Class III weapons and training on my site without any hassles. Win/Win.

One gunsmith I know and probably Nighthawk Custom would be on retainer for "as need" projects that came about. I would probably look at adding a gunsmith to the Valhalla facility, it would just be easier. NFA License moved through with the swiftness via certain high priced lawyers and contacts, then I can import and manufacture the good stuff for my training facility.

For personal wants: maybach is on my short list. Saville Row. I would probably have Tango kidnapped and force fit for one, all with video documentary, just for fun.

The next evolution of the FTF SUV would be developed. I would want to take the great features of vehicles like the Unimog, Land Rover Defender 90 and early Jeep and build a practical, tactical and cool SUV that was zombie ready.

And future FTF Phoenix winners wouldn't be able to lift the box without aid of a forklift.

JD

Old 09-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #14

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First, I'd quit my job. The phone call would be as follows:

RING, RING.

Supervisor: W******
Me: Hello, T**? This is ******. The check cleared. I quit! (followed by maniacal, mad scientist-type laughter). ::::slam phone receiver down::::

Then, being a "rag bagger" (derogatory name used for those who prefer sail boats) I'd probably buy one of these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post

Beneteau 57... with one of these, I've got a condo anywhere from Chicago to Miami. Who knows, maybe I'll take it around the world someday.
YouTube - Beneteau 57
Although I had thought that a 35-footer would be the maximum one could handle alone, the above 57-footer looks like it would be no problem whatsoever. Full specs on this sweetheart sail boat here (Teak decking....I'm drooling )

Then, my 10 acres (or more now that I have the money to afford it) to be bought in eastern Texas (northeast or southeast of the Dallas-Ft. Worth area). The house would be a bit larger than originally planned. Fully equipped basement complete with "tornado room" with a quite large weapons safe. Reloading equipment with a nicely sized work area for "component" storage, as well as reloaded supplies. Outside the house, right next to it, actually, would be my 800 yard (minimum length) private shooting range. It would have more than the 5 lanes I currently have planned. Next to that would be the barbecue/outdoor activity area for those "backyard parties" after the shooting festivities are over and the guns are unloaded and put away.

Besides that, not really much else would be necessary. I'd probably make a couple of trips to Europe (Germany and England mostly) and then I'd just settle down and enjoy my retirement for the rest of my life. Currently I'm 60 so my "plans" for a lottery win wouldn't be as aggressive as they would if I were much younger.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

I'd buy Hi-Point and start manufacturing 1911's.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

JD has a great thing in dropping off the grid.

My family would get a little that is it.

I know I would do one thing that is get all of Bears medical needs taken care of.

I would also help Asmel and his ENTIRE FAMILY get in this country.

After that See what I said above.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 338 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I would buy a small house in Central Kentucky with a decent amount of land around it, then I would take it completely off the grid. Solar panels for power, find an underground spring for water and set up a water purifier for it, septic tank to keep off the sewer grid, and satellite access for internet. I would then proceed to stock my fortress for end of the world survival. After all of that is done, I would buy a few things that I would like to have and put the rest in a trust so I can live off the interest from the trust without touching the rest of the capital. I don't see my plans costing more than 3mil to set up what I want. Even taking a 50% pay out on a 100m lottery means I'm getting 50m. If the government takes as much as 60% of that in taxes, I've still got 20m. 17m in a trust is more than I would ever need.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.