Power generator - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Power generator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I'm thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
The smallest I run (and had to rely on for hurricanes) is 5000w. The big questions is what are you running on it. Motor startups require more than when the motor is running.
A couple of lamps, a small space heater, maybe a small electric stove, radio, TV, etc. Bare essentials to survive a storm. Food is all canned.

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 11-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #12

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
A couple of lamps, a small space heater, maybe a small electric stove, radio, TV, etc. Bare essentials to survive a storm. Food is all canned.
The space heater and electric stove would be no go for a unit that small I'm afraid. And I wouldn't trust it to run any valuable electronic devices. You need to have a cleanly regulated power output from a generator to prevent damage. Cheap generators aren't built for that.

Again, 1000 watts don't go very far.

Honda Power Equipment - Honda Generators - Wattage estimation guide

Old 11-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3488 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Gato - The generator's that you are showing are all very small use, man portable generators for use to power one, stand alone unit of small size or be around the campsite to charge batteries and provide light.

As an example you could hook one of those up to keep your cell phone charger and power pack for your laptop going, but try adding anything with a motor and you run into a condition called Locked Rotor

Locked Rotor Current ( LRC ) is the condition where a motor requires many more times the power to get started than it does to keep it running. This is also known as cold start or cold cranking amps.

A small dorm style fridge might say that it only needs 650w to run, but what it doesn't tell you is that to get it STARTED could require 5 or 6 times that amount because of the compressor in the unit. If you only have 1000watts, you won't be able to get the unit started and it could burn out your generator if you force the issue.

In the grand scheme of what you can do with it, 1000watt generator is like trying to move your house with your kid's Tonka truck.

JD

Old 11-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

For heating,/lighting concerns, I just use Glow-On.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Think about lighting with battery operated lights. Indoors you can use hurricane oil lamps, plenty of light, last a long time, no electricity needed. for cooking, a single burner gas stove works fine, those intended for table top operation are what I have been looking at and run about $30. Don't forget candles and Faraday "Shake" flashlights, ~$10.

This leaves power for your freezer and refrigerator, perhaps a sump pump, power saw, compressor, or minigun!

You could get by with 1000 watts, but a 3KW generator would be best, 5KW even better depending on load!

Links:

Hurricane Lantern

Lamps/Lights*|*Lanterns*|*Dietz*|*Dietz Jupiter Hurricane Oil Lantern - Lehmans.com
W.T. Kirkman Oil and Electric Lanterns: Oil Lamps

Butane Stove

Max Burton Mr. Max Table Top Burner 13 in. Black at Cooking.com
Mr. Max Table Top Burner (13-in.) by Max Burton at Food Network

Faraday flashlight

Faraday Flashlight - Closeout - Now Only $9.95- The Official Site of AsSeenOnTV.com
SHAKE FLASHLIGHTS $9.99 Each FREE SHIPPING! The forever flashlight that does not need batteries
Computer parts, components, hardware for Less

Last edited by dunerunner; 11-19-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post

I LOL'd at this one. Nice Benny!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #17

Default I'd go for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post

.................................................. ...!
I'd go for that, only if it glows more than 12 hours

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10998 Times on 4764 Posts
Likes Given: 1806

Either buy a MUCH bigger generator, or pare down what you want to power. If you plan to run a generator when stranded in a car in cold weather, could you please leave me your guns?

Our list of what we MUST have electricity to do is very short. Fridge/ Freezer and electronics. I can cook and have lights by other means.

Anything with a heating elements sucks up watts like you would not believe. Motors have a starting current that is 2-3 times higher than running current. Heat? Got a 12 KW generator? Even a little bathroom heater is about a 2 KW demand.

We had a week and a half off the grid during Hurricane Isabel. We have a couple of 2500 watt inverters, and a bank of deep cycle batteries. Thats 2500 watt ACTUAL, not peak. Bought them used, $75 each. Batteries are 155 amp hour for my fishing boat.

cherokee.gif

Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #19

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Gasoline, round trip, to the nearest available hotel room 200 miles away during a major ice storm in a large metropolitan city - $70.00

1 week hotel stay for a family of 3 w/meals - $700.00

Food spoilage in refrigerator/freezer and deep freezer upon return - $600.00

Increase in water bill from letting it run to keep the plumbing from freezing - $130.00

Having a 10KW generator to keep your home warm, well lit and occupied during the next ice storm - PRICELESS!