Pots And Pans
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pots And Pans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pots And Pans

I know there was discussion amongst some folks a while ago about good frying pans and I have a question. I am looking for a set of general duty household cooking pots and am not sure of the proper material, stainless with copper bottom, anodized, stainless with aluminum bottom, what have you.

From my days as a bachelor I love iron frying pans but am not sure how iron cooking pots perform. I don't need a super high end set but don't want junk either. I am looking to spend about $250.00 for a small, medium and large pot. I don't really need anything for frying pans since for the very things we fry, good or bad, gets done in iron pans.

Anyone weigh in on the best materials and/ or sets? I don't want to spend that much on pots if I get the wrong thing. Thanks for any guidance.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like Tramontia tri-ply clad stainless.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Last edited by jca1; 06-06-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep, Tramontina makes some really good stuff for a good price.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I picked up a set of Al-clad Emerilware and it is AWESOME. The sad thing is the last set I seen was much poorer quality than the set I bought.

Get your self a Lodge Enamal Cast iron dutch oven. You will use it for everything.

Or go with the good stuff. I hate to say if but for Enamal Cookware La Creuset is the best.

Le Creuset - Enjoy browsing: Cookware

Old 06-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7340 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9057

I have a set of stainless steel, copper clad bottom pots and pans that I've had since 1983. They are awesome and will last forever. I also have quite a few cast iron skillets and a cast iron dutch oven. I am pleased with all of them.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 06-06-2011 at 04:24 AM.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:59 AM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

When you say "pot", what do you mean? What do you intend to do with them?

If you are looking to boil water for pasta, you want a 12 quart aluminum (not anodized) pot. Just don't make your sauce in it.

If you are looking to cook a pot roast, you need a cast iron or enamel coated Dutch oven (although I just got a Cuisanart Electric pressure cooker this past Christmas from the FIL and it has replaced my Dutch oven). Something heavy with double handles to ease into and out of the oven.

If you are looking for all purpose pots for heating up cans of corn or making boxes of Kraft mac & cheese go with Stainless Revereware with the copper plated bottoms. These will last a lifetime if you don't try to sautee in them.

I am a cooking utensil snob. I have Calphalon Hard Anodized cookware for myself. My wife will not use it because it is very heavy (which is why it cooks more evenly). She uses the Revereware. I have aquired a multitude of pieces over the last 15 years.

Calphalon check out an outlet if you are close, 50-75% savings for slightly inperfect pans (usually a scratch or scuff)

My favorite "pot" is a 3 qt Calphalon Chef's pan. It has a gradually slopped base so I can easily use a french whip to stir sauces and gravies.

My favorite "pan" is a 16" Calphalon Teflon coated, anodized aluminum sautee pan with lid. It has two looped handles instead of a long handle.

The new Calphlon Unison line is dishwasher safe.

Just remember that Teflon coated pots and pans will last a lifetime IF YOU DO NOT USE THEM. If you have a Teflon coated pan and it looks like the Teflon is pitting or flaking, THROW IT OUT. Teflon is poisonous if ingested. Expect to replace Teflon coated pans every 5 years, give or take depending on use.