Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Post a photo you've taken. Any photo.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #8601
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Im not at all what one might call a photographer, but I do enjoy playing around with different effects and making myself into a caricature or cartoon looking character.

forumrunner_20121121_200323.jpg

forumrunner_20121121_200333.jpg

forumrunner_20121121_200343.jpg

forumrunner_20121121_200353.jpg

forumrunner_20121121_200404.jpg

forumrunner_20121121_200414.jpg

forumrunner_20121121_200425.jpg

forumrunner_20121121_200435.jpg

forumrunner_20121121_200446.jpg

forumrunner_20121121_200455.jpg

forumrunner_20121121_200505.jpg

Old 11-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #8602
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7654 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
I have 5 cats. I can't have a real tree. Plus (and I'm no tree hugger), I can't kill a tree for a month of enjoyment. When I was a kid the people down the street had a white tree that I could see through the window and I knew when I grew up I wanted one. I love it!
We have always had real trees and we have had as many as 9 cats at one time (plus 2 dogs).

Around here the tree farms don't "cut to kill", new trees are cultured up from the branches on the stump left after the customer cuts their tree through a process similar to coppicing, but unique in its use with Christmas tree cultivation. It not only speeds the turnaround in producing a new marketable Christmas tree, you are not killing a tree when you cut one.

On the other hand, fake trees are all plastic and metal, are not recyclable when they wear out (which they do) and boat -loads of pollutants are produced when the fake trees are manufactured. Take a look on the label on your fake tree, it was probably made in China, and probably has a lead warning as well.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #8603

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

We have always had real trees and we have had as many as 9 cats at one time (plus 2 dogs).

Around here the tree farms don't "cut to kill", new trees are cultured up from the branches on the stump left after the customer cuts their tree through a process similar to coppicing, but unique in its use with Christmas tree cultivation. It not only speeds the turnaround in producing a new marketable Christmas tree, you are not killing a tree when you cut one.

On the other hand, fake trees are all plastic and metal, are not recyclable when they wear out (which they do) and boat -loads of pollutants are produced when the fake trees are manufactured. Take a look on the label on your fake tree, it was probably made in China, and probably has a lead warning as well.
I just have one question about your real tree. Do you replant it or is it dead after you take it down? I save money with a fake tree. Which means I don't have to buy one each year.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #8604

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

We have had the same fake tree going on 12 years now. By request from our boys we are getting a real tree this year. I grew up always having real trees when I was a kid. I really have no preference. Both have good points and bad.

Let your reps know how you feel about your 2nd Amendment Right.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Old 11-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #8605

Liked 2338 Times on 1520 Posts

Plus a real tree is biodegradeable, and it cleans the air (co2) while it is living.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #8606
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7654 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I just have one question about your real tree. Do you replant it or is it dead after you take it down? I save money with a fake tree. Which means I don't have to buy one each year.
Fair enough. I grow my own. I have a few thousand to choose from. Some of the trees we cultivate were planted 60 years ago, and have produced a dozen or more cut trees in that time. Christmas trees are one of the things I grow as a farmer. Some of those nicer fake trees can be really expensive. Judging by your pics you didn't spring for the high-end one.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #8607

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:

Fair enough. I grow my own. I have a few thousand to choose from. Some of the trees we cultivate were planted 60 years ago, and have produced a dozen or more cut trees in that time. Christmas trees are one of the things I grow as a farmer. Some of those nicer fake trees can be really expensive. Judging by your pics you didn't spring for the high-end one.
Hell no on the expensive fake tree!. We down sized about two years ago. The tree you cut down dies after awhile, correct? I don't really care if the tree dies or not. So, you are saying that you are a serial killer of trees!!!!. Just messing with you, murderer!!

Old 11-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #8608

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I captured this last year at a beach in San Diego. I only had my cell phone at the time, but I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #8609

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:

The true "classic" Christmas tree is a real one. Fake is fake.
I agree with vikingdad, real trees with real needles and smells.

NEVER FORGET

Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #8610
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6635 Times on 4014 Posts
Likes Given: 7875

Quote:
Yes it's early for the tree but she's loving putting up the decorations and we have her for Thanksgiving but her Mom picks her up Friday.

Attachment 70881
Quote:
I think she's getting a little heavy...

Attachment 70885

Attachment 70886
I have a white tree, too, and I think it's absolutely beautiful. Yours looks very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Its bad enough you have a fake tree, but a white fake tree? That is just wrong.

From the time I got married until my oldest was about 13 or so, we always had a live tree. My husband moved out when my oldest was about 9. The last year we had a live tree I was all excited when we were heading out to go choose the tree and cut it down. My oldest son said to me, "You know, everyone gets all excited about cutting down the tree except me. I'm the one who has to lay in the snow and cut it down, I'm the one who has to secure it to the car, I'm the one who has to drag it in the house, etc. It's freezing cold out there." I realized he was right. It was something he didn't have fun doing, only the rest of us. So, that year I bought a fake tree at half price after Christmas. We had that tree for a good ten years. Then I stopped putting a tree up for a while and it sat in my attic. I ended up giving that tree to a needy co-worker who had two young boys. It was about 5 days before Christmas and she couldn't afford a tree so I gave her mine that I hadn't used in a while. When my granddaughter was born, I decided in a year or so I'd need to be putting a tree up again. That's when I got the white one. It's gorgeous. And I'm not having to crawl under it to keep it watered (when I remember) and I'm not vacuuming up pine needles still in March. And it even prelit with beautiful colored lights. Do you have any prelit ones, Vikingdad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymikey View Post

I captured this last year at a beach in San Diego. I only had my cell phone at the time, but I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.
Beautiful!!

Last edited by winds-of-change; 11-22-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Closed Thread