Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Post a photo you've taken. Any photo.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #6731
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3644

Bang.........ding
Great sound.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #6732

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Actually, we never tow barges. We shove them. Towboats on the river should be called push boats. lol
You say clips. We call em bites or parts.
We may leave a barge in a fleet with two lines. But they are tied off with 4 or 6 part lines. And sometimes we will throw a 2 part wire over top the line.
Yeah I grew up and again live near Lock and Dam 18. Saw you guys going up and down the river my entire childhood. The only place on the Mississippi that I could find pike was near or in the lock. I don't know why. From what I know they don't normally exist anywhere around here.

We just used the terminology given from the manufacture. Crosby called em clips, we called em clips.

Is there much difference between the tugs that you guys run and the ones that normally tow rigs in the gulf?

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 10-03-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #6733
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3644

I dont know much about the tugs in the gulf.
Ours sit deeper in the water, because we dont have to worry about big waves.
Ours is square in the front whereas most ocean tugs have a pointed bow.
Ours are made for pushing, and only pushing. Ocean tugs are made for shoving in all directions.n (side thrusters)

Old 10-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #6734
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8043 Times on 4639 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
I dont know much about the tugs in the gulf.
Ours sit deeper in the water, because we dont have to worry about big waves.
Ours is square in the front whereas most ocean tugs have a pointed bow.
Ours are made for pushing, and only pushing. Ocean tugs are made for shoving in all directions.n (side thrusters)
The tug in the dry dock has a flat bottom hull, I think the ones in the Gulf have a deep hull. I saw one in the Peteluma drydock years ago that had a really deep hull and there were I think 5 shrouded props (like a ducted fan) on rotating shafts that could be rotated 360 degrees so the power could be applied in any direction giving the tug some incredible maneuverability. Didn't look anything like the river tug in your pic.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #6735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The tug in the dry dock has a flat bottom hull, I think the ones in the Gulf have a deep hull. I saw one in the Peteluma drydock years ago that had a really deep hull and there were I think 5 shrouded props (like a ducted fan) on rotating shafts that could be rotated 360 degrees so the power could be applied in any direction giving the tug some incredible maneuverability. Didn't look anything like the river tug in your pic.
I know the few tugs I saw were DP tugs (dynamic positioning) so they not only had that maneuverability, but could sit on station in heavy waves without moving more than a few feet in any direction. The anchor boat I was on did as well. Ya could be completely stationary and turn a three sixty. It was pretty cool. But really kinda sucked when we would be holding on station by a rig and the hands on the rig's deck would walk too close to the rail.

See DP can set station a few different ways. One by GPS, and two by reflective shafts hung over the rail. Most of the coveralls the hands would wear had reflective strips on the arms, shoulders and legs. So if they walked too close to the rail the boat would try to follow them cause it thought the rig was moving.

Are the engines larger or have a larger fuel capacity or anything on the offshore tugs?

Here is a pic of a smaller work boat in dry dock. Note the deep hull.

Edit: Actually that looks to be set up for anchoring operations too.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 10-03-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #6736

Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My boat is a fixed shaft twin wheel boat. Small by tow boat standards, 4200 hp, holds Around 66,000 gallons of diesel. We shove 15 barges. Most of our rigging are closed eye wires 1 inch in diameter by 35' long. We dont throw lines over our rigging unless we are in very low water and running.

Very different than ocean tugs, massive compared in size. I can't recall the strength of our wires but I've seen fittings pulled off barges, before the wires broke. On a 15 barge tow we use around 60 sets of rigging.

We have a 5 man deck crew. Mate, leadman, and three deckhands. Four men ride a "square" watch, 6 hour shifts twice a day. One man is on "call watch" he is awake for all work to be done. On the upper it's a very demanding constant work load.

Lock 18, Burlington Iowa. Nice place. My company rides 28 days on 14 off. Which boils down to 12 days off really. It's a hard life for married people with children. It's a rewarding job though, take pride in a good tow and your boat. Your devoted to the boat and the crew, most of the time that is.

We run 24/7 365, any weather, any condition.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #6737

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
My boat is a fixed shaft twin wheel boat. Small by tow boat standards, 4200 hp, holds Around 66,000 gallons of diesel. We shove 15 barges. Most of our rigging are closed eye wires 1 inch in diameter by 35' long. We dont throw lines over our rigging unless we are in very low water and running.

Very different than ocean tugs, massive compared in size. I can't recall the strength of our wires but I've seen fittings pulled off barges, before the wires broke. On a 15 barge tow we use around 60 sets of rigging.

We have a 5 man deck crew. Mate, leadman, and three deckhands. Four men ride a "square" watch, 6 hour shifts twice a day. One man is on "call watch" he is awake for all work to be done. On the upper it's a very demanding constant work load.

Lock 18, Burlington Iowa. Nice place. My company rides 28 days on 14 off. Which boils down to 12 days off really. It's a hard life for married people with children. It's a rewarding job though, take pride in a good tow and your boat. Your devoted to the boat and the crew, most of the time that is.

We run 24/7 365, any weather, any condition.
Ok thanks.

Like I said, my stay with the anchor boat was a brief one. I can work, and worked much more doing the rig welding thing. But I wasnt stuck out in the ocean for 21 days at a time. We worked 21 and seven. I only made it two hitches. I felt like I was going to go crazy only seeing blue.

IIRC one inch hard lay was rated for ten k.

We primarily used 3 3/4" anchor rope rated for 8.5 million pounds. The rigs would have between eight and twelve of them, 10,000 to 20,000 feet each. The work wasnt really all that hard. We'd be busy for a few hours, then clean while the captain hauled the anchor and rope out to where we were to set it. It'd get busy again while we rigged the ROV, then back to slow paced cleaning and maintenance. Twelve and a half hour tours. But if we had to haul in cargo after they could turn into twenty hour tours. The boat had only two riggers, and if we were working loads both the riggers had to be the one's to do it. One to flag the crane and one to work the load.

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 10-03-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #6738
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2059 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Its not a pic but a link to one--

The Dutch have come up with a boat for everyone

Hot Tug Hot Tub Boat

A boat with a hot tub is pretty sweet, but do you know what’s even sweeter than that? A hot tub that is a boat.

Read more: http://boombotix.com/skullyblog/2012/10/02/the-hot-tug-hot-tub-boat/#ixzz28DCBH49p
Follow us: @boombotix on Twitter | boombotix on Facebook

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #6739

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Sunset behind our ship

image-2820250329.jpg  

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #6740
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3151 Times on 1758 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Mmm yummy sexy 379

forumrunner_20121003_140106.jpg

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Closed Thread