Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Post a photo you've taken. Any photo.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #6691
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale

And who slung the rope with the clips spread out like eighteen inches?
Huh?!?? I'm confused by this.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 AM   #6692

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Not too far from me.

On your previous picture. The wire rope, the clips look to be spread out pretty far. What was it? inch and five eighths right hand hard lay?

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #6693

Are you talking about the wire that's on the button fitting? Those are stationary wires that accompany some barges.

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #6694

I think our lingo is to different lol.

Oh dern....

Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #6695

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Are you talking about the wire that's on the button fitting? Those are stationary wires that accompany some barges.
The terminology may differ. Ive only worked with it round land rigs, and a very short stint on an anchor boat. Never done fresh water stuff.

Line

Rope

Clip

But yeah, your wire rope round the dognut button. Is it load bearing at all?

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 10-03-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #6696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale

The terminology may differ, but Ive never heard any industry call it different.

Line

Rope

Clip

But yeah, your wire rope round the button dognut.
Ah thanks. The wire is 1 1/8. Not real big at all. I don't know who put it on there.

Oh dern....

Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #6697
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8044 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Quote:
Next time I use a 6 part I'll try to take a pic. The fin actually floats... It rides in a track in a wall, at a lock. This pin belongs to keokuk Iowa lock number 19. We use them to tie off the boat and barges to lock. Keokuk is normally around a 34-35 foot drop/raise if I'm not mistaken. The 6 parts give it strength.

Reasoning behind that being incorrect line, is that the top two parts, are overlapping the others, and therefore not properly slacked even with the other parts. This causes you to loose the strength of having 6 parts, leaving you with 4 parts instead. Not a weak line still, but 15 barges @ 1500 tons of cargo apiece alone and a boat surging hard into the line, you want 6 parts.

Also if two parts were to break. You would still have 4 parts holding you. Not in this case, and the surge would break a standard two part in a hurry. Making for a dangerous situation when your 30+ feet above the water level below, and 30 feet from hitting the gates.

Here is a picture from the same lock, northbound with 11 barges. The boat is 4 stories tall.....
OK, so the pin/fin floats in a vertical slot in the lock wall as the water rises or falls in the lock. I get it.

Yeah, I'd like to see a proper 6 part. Always like learning new knots.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #6698
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8044 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildg03 View Post
Attachment 62098
Ok here is a picture enjoy
I can think of other ways to play safe with her......

Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #6699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

OK, so the pin/fin floats in a vertical slot in the lock wall as the water rises or falls in the lock. I get it.

Yeah, I'd like to see a proper 6 part. Always like learning new knots.
Yea the pin floats in a track. It's more so "knotted" on a cavel in an x pattern. I'll try and get you a picture.

Oh dern....

Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 AM   #6700

Quote:
Ah thanks. The wire is 1 1/8. Not real big at all. I don't know who put it on there.
Ok. Was just curious. Do ya know if it is ever used for anything? Inch and an eighth properly slung on a straight leg if its hard lay, ought to be rated for IIRC 16,000. But ya'd need a seven clips evenly spaced at nine inches and properly torqued. Out there we had to deal with the Coast Guard and MMS, even if it was never used for anything other than tying a lanyard to so you don't fall from one deck to another or to stop you from sliding across the deck in bad weather, it had to be properly slung for the ropes SWL.

I don't guess it really matters. It just caught my eye.

Closed Thread