Post a photo you've taken. Any photo. - Page 609
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Post a photo you've taken. Any photo.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #6081
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Fathead- finally got my camera working. I TIG welded bottom of a couple pop cans just to see if I could do it(sorta). Had a couple burn throughs, but got a couple beads down.

Attachment 56315
Can's weren't clean enough, and ya aught to slow down a lil on the aluminum plate.

Whats your gas mix?

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #6082

Liked 2455 Times on 1593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale

Can's weren't clean enough, and ya aught to slow down a lil on the aluminum plate.

Whats your gas mix?
Easy for you to say. If I slowed down I would burn through. I was on the lowest setting I could be on the old welder. In my defense, I weld aluminium about twice a year.

Pure argon. I weld steel almost daily, hardened tool steel about half the time.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #6083

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Speedglas!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #6084

I meant slow down on the plate not the cans. If you aren't able to slow down without burning through, then you're welding too hot.

Its been a good long while since I did any aluminum TIG. Im prolly a lil rusty. I know my brain sure is after a twelve hour shift after eight hours working at home.

Quote:
Speedglas!
Yeah its an old one I use in our shop. At work I have a miller digital elite but its a little finicky.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-07-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #6085

I read it wrong, my bad. I wasn't burning through the plate. That old welder doesn't have enough to burn through 1/4 inch. Lol

There is a mig I had cutting 3/8 plate like a torch.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #6086

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale
I meant slow down on the plate not the cans. If you aren't able to slow down without burning through, then you're welding too hot.

Its been a good long while since I did any aluminum TIG. Im prolly a lil rusty. I know my brain sure is after a twelve hour shift after eight hours working at home.

Yeah its an old one I use in our shop. At work I have a miller digital elite but its a little finicky.
I dont like millers. I either weld really hot or tig really low or with pulse...those millers dont want to keep up.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #6087

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun View Post
I dont like millers. I either weld really hot or tig really low or with pulse...those millers dont want to keep up.
I was talking about my hood. It keeps up fine, but even with the sensitivity set at zero the amber light on the fork trucks make it go dark. When ya hire on with the company I work for they give you a Nextgen. But I don't like the headgear on them and I already had a miller.

Our machines at work are Lincolns and our torches are water cooled.

Back before we bought our land and got up and running I was a rig welder in PA (and Oklahoma before the boom in PA). I used a pancake hood there. Great little things, but not so good for production welding.

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-07-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #6088

I usually weld hot if I can. The welds hold better and longer.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #6089

If ya do it right, yeah. Too hot is bad though. Which is why most of the newer high end machines automatically set the amperage to whatever wirespeed you choose. I however, do not like the trim crap. I liked being able to choose my trim as I welded.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #6090

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF

She is ill-equipped. She has arrows for her AR, and one mag of 30 empties pretty quick.

Is she hiding ammo somewhere :O?
That's a good question 😄

Closed Thread