Post a photo you've taken. Any photo. - Page 1561
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Post a photo you've taken. Any photo.


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #15601
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Suddenly occurs to me that I'm 1/4 German, and don't know any German...
I have a little German in me from the 1800s, and I can't speak it either. I used Google translator.
texaswoodworker is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #15602
emo
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
emo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 415
Liked 293 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Suddenly occurs to me that I'm 1/4 German, and don't know any German...
My Grandmother had Alzheimer's and reverted to only speaking German. Took a semester of German so that I could try to speak to her, at least wish her a happy birthday. Took a couple minutes before she realized I was speaking German. Well worth the effort but now I can't remember any of it.
__________________
Real dogs drool!
emo is offline  
2
People Like This 
Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #15603
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

I think I'll go to pirate bay and illegally download Rosetta stone, costing media companies millions of dollars in lost profits.

My biological grandmother and her family fled Germany between the world wars.

That old joke...
"My uncle died in a concentration camp. He fell from a guard tower."

Rumor is that it's true. I call bull spit myself. Haven't yet heard anything other than the name "Heinz" in regards to any positive identification. "Your great uncle Heinz..." yeah. I bet he pureed tomatoes in his spare time too.
trip286 is offline  
stratrider Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #15604
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stratrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 1,594
Liked 1625 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 2638

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Suddenly occurs to me that I'm 1/4 German, and don't know any German...
Sure you do, just say this really slow...Kinder...garten...
It means the same thing there that it does here, but, separate the words:
Kinder=children, garten=garden One child equals one "kind". I'm sure you've heard of Santa's reindeer? Blitzen= lightning, Donner= thunder I'm far from fluent. I know just enough to get myself into trouble, lol. There are a lot of similarities between the two languages as English is a Germanic language.
Post a photo you've taken. Any photo. - The Club House Jaegermeister, maybe you could help out here? Hilfen sie mir bitte?
stratrider is offline  
3
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #15605
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Threetango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Carolina, a gun friendly state.
Posts: 3,391
Liked 6397 Times on 2259 Posts
Likes Given: 1812

Default

[
This was my favorite phrase while in the Hofbrauhaus in Munich.

Ein großes dunkles Bier bitte
__________________
NSDQ
11B5PF7M Ret.

Last edited by Threetango; 08-01-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Threetango is offline  
2
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #15606
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Suddenly occurs to me that I'm 1/4 German, and don't know any German...
I'm half German and only know a little bit of the language. Enough to surmise the gist of a conversation without too much trouble (Reading it only. Can't understand squat from conversation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I have a little German in me
Hitler was Austrian, so it couldn't be him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo View Post
My Grandmother had Alzheimer's and reverted to only speaking German. Took a semester of German so that I could try to speak to her, at least wish her a happy birthday. Took a couple minutes before she realized I was speaking German. Well worth the effort but now I can't remember any of it.
My grandmother came here in 1917 and stopped speaking German as soon as she could get by in English. She never spoke it again for the rest of her life. When she died in 1983 she still had a strong German accent (which was made even more gutteral by her lifetime of chainsmoking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I think I'll go to pirate bay and illegally download Rosetta stone, costing media companies millions of dollars in lost profits.

My biological grandmother and her family fled Germany between the world wars.

That old joke...
"My uncle died in a concentration camp. He fell from a guard tower."

Rumor is that it's true. I call bull spit myself. Haven't yet heard anything other than the name "Heinz" in regards to any positive identification. "Your great uncle Heinz..." yeah. I bet he pureed tomatoes in his spare time too.
Yeah, I try not to tell that one unless I know my audience. I actually know nothing of my relatives still in Germany. I am working on figuring out the family history though and hopefully I might be able to connect with them someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratrider View Post
Sure you do, just say this really slow...Kinder...garten...
It means the same thing there that it does here, but, separate the words:
Kinder=children, garten=garden One child equals one "kind". I'm sure you've heard of Santa's reindeer? Blitzen= lightning, Donner= thunder I'm far from fluent. I know just enough to get myself into trouble, lol. There are a lot of similarities between the two languages as English is a Germanic language.
Post a photo you've taken. Any photo. - The Club House Jaegermeister, maybe you could help out here? Hilfen sie mir bitte?
Quite a few English words are originally German and as you say English is a Germanic language.

I know enough of several languages to get my ass kicked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetango View Post
[
This was my favorite phrase while in the Hofbrauhaus in Munich.

Ein großes dunkles Bier bitte
Ein Mann nach meinem Herzen!
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #15607
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CourtJester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South of the thumb
Posts: 3,000
Liked 902 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Took the photo for another thread. But I took a photo.



image-1291975196.jpg
__________________
I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington
CourtJester is offline  
2
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #15608
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pagj17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prescott Valley,Arizona
Posts: 2,433
Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

forumrunner_20130731_210916.jpg
Trez, I saw this, thought of ya, and bought it.
__________________
------------Space Not for Hire.-----------
pagj17 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #15609
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Not as good as Anna's but a picture none the less, Trip which quarter is German, right left upper or lower? (LOL)

Jim

Post a photo you've taken. Any photo. - The Club House
bigjim is offline  
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 08-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #15610
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TexasGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 1,453
Liked 1123 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default

image-1410039663.jpg

A picture from one of the shows my wife and I saw in Las Vegas last weekend.
__________________
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
TexasGunner is offline  
2
People Like This 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Photo op scares thousands in NYC skullcrusher Politics, Religion and Controversy 23 05-09-2009 06:22 PM
family photo... supergus The Club House 6 07-06-2008 09:34 PM
Family photo. BLS33 General Rifle Discussion 11 07-05-2007 12:11 AM



Newest Threads