Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Post a photo you've taken. Any photo.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #12521
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

good call Cinder!

the Chevy big block the exhaust ports are equal distance from each other and on the small block they have the two center ports right together.

that's a small block Chevy going into that Camaro. the vavle covers are another dead give-away.

the cubic inch displacement of the enging doesn't dictate it being a big block or small block. the engine design does.
They do make a small block that can have splayed valve heads giving the look of a big block

Old 04-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #12522
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19981 Times on 11360 Posts
Likes Given: 50399

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo205mph View Post
They do make a small block that can have splayed valve heads giving the look of a big block
i have seen them before. they are aftermarket and not the stock design. the engine pictured didn't have such heads on it.

my thinking is he has bored and stroked a small block, upping the cubic inches. displacement doesn't make it a big block.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #12523
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3010 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo205mph View Post
That's why the best way to tell is to look at the spacing of the exhaust ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i have seen them before. they are aftermarket and not the stock design. the engine pictured didn't have such heads on it.

my thinking is he has bored and stroked a small block, upping the cubic inches. displacement doesn't make it a big block.
Good times at Auto Zone (I worked there once) I worked with a guy who thought he new EVERYTHING. Seriously, the guy thought he was GOD. One time I was talking about the 383 in our Chevelle and one of the guys I was working with said, "What's a Stroker" Mr. Know-It-All is standing right there and says, "It's when you put a big block crank in a small block." HAHA Dude, I would like to see you fit a big block crank in a small block...

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Last edited by Cinderocka1989; 04-23-2013 at 02:52 AM.
People Like This 
Old 04-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #12524
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And speaking of Chevelles. It has paint!

forumrunner_20130422_205709.jpg

forumrunner_20130422_205801.jpg

forumrunner_20130422_205815.jpg

People Like This 
Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #12525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post

Good times at Auto Zone (I worked there once) I worked with a guy who thought he new EVERYTHING. Seriously, the guy thought he was GOD. One time I was talking about the 383 in our Chevelle and one of the guys I was working with said, "What's a Stroker" Mr. Know-It-All is standing right there and says, "It's when you put a big block crank in a small block." HAHA Dude, I would like to see you fit a big block crank in a small block...
i have heard some say pretty close to the same thing! i even told one guy, they wouldn't fit. his response was, "i know you have to turn the mains down so that it does fit" hmmmm....i just had to leave that one alone!

Quote:
And speaking of Chevelles. It has paint!

Attachment 97557

Attachment 97558

Attachment 97559
looking good Cinder!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #12526
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i have heard some say pretty close to the same thing! i even told one guy, they wouldn't fit. his response was, "i know you have to turn the mains down so that it does fit" hmmmm....i just had to leave that one alone!

looking good Cinder!
It would take some serious redneck engineering to get one to fit... and even then you would be lucky to get it to turn over.

Thanks, I wasn't there when they painted it but I did a lot of the body work. Hopefully they didn't screw it up!!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #12527

Quote:
It would take some serious redneck engineering to get one to fit... and even then you would be lucky to get it to turn over.

Thanks, I wasn't there when they painted it but I did a lot of the body work. Hopefully they didn't screw it up!!
i can't remember how much longer the big block crank is compared to the small block crank, but seriously doubt the mains would line up!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #12528

Liked 695 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Quote:

Shoulda asked him Who makes a International Harvester Scout.... That seems to stump everybody when I go to auto-zone.....

Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #12529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Shoulda asked him Who makes a International Harvester Scout.... That seems to stump everybody when I go to auto-zone.....
ummm....Ford! what do i win?

Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #12530
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7804 Times on 4508 Posts
Likes Given: 10054

Quote:

My youngest son likes to go into parts stores like Auto Zone and ask for parts for his 1942 Ford GPW (Jeep). They always say the same thing. "A what?"

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Closed Thread