Post a photo you've taken. Any photo. - Page 1206
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Post a photo you've taken. Any photo.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #12051
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2707 Times on 1766 Posts

I couldn't keep Lou out of the water. Note the snow in the background.

forumrunner_20130401_020922.jpg

I caught a skunk a few years ago. I did the blanket thing, which worked. He didn't spray but got real nervous when I got close to him, and more nervous when I put the blanket over the trap. I could here him running in circles in the trap. I had to move the trap because it was on the steps outside my grandmas rear door, and she didn't want the smell there.

After I moved the trap, I used the fishing pole I brought along to rig the door open, and backed up real fast like. Everything worked out real good, but I think the experience took a couple hours off my life in stress.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #12052

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I caught a skunk at my house three years ago. I called a pest control company. They came and got the trap and unfortunately had to put the skunk down. They told me its illegal to release a skunk in massachusetts. They used a mini gas chamber. It looks like a cooler. You put the whole trap in and gas it.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #12053

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
I caught a skunk at my house three years ago. I called a pest control company. They came and got the trap and unfortunately had to put the skunk down. They told me its illegal to release a skunk in massachusetts. They used a mini gas chamber. It looks like a cooler. You put the whole trap in and gas it.
**** that. It's more humane to shoot it. I personally have no problem with skunks as long as I don't get sprayed or bitten. Skunks and coons are a couple of the biggest carriers of rabies.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #12054

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Well I had to get to work. I didn't want to leave it in the trap all day because it was hot out and I don't wanna be sprayed

Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #12055

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

A few years ago every morning about 4:00 AM my dogs would go off ( I raise Silver Sable German Shepherds ) and I would tell them to shut up - - - about the 3rd day I took a spot light and saw the Skunk.

Next morning AR15 with a scope and a light - - - about 75' ( not yards ) That sucker exploded - - - 3 of the dogs and a lot of the front yard got covered! It took about 2 months before the smell did not come back while mowing. I kept throwing a stick to the middle of the pond and let the dogs fetch and they were tolerable after about a week.

I would recommend a lighter caliber ( possibly a 22 LR ) next time.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #12056

Liked 1138 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 246

As much as possible, live in harmony with nature, don't sterilize it. If you want to be free of nature, might I suggest the 36th floor of some larger city.

I have a skunk story. Mother skunk was killed by a car, and babies were walking around in tall grass off in the ditch. One by one, I caught them via tail grabs, and placed them in my Cadillac trunk. Off to the acreage to feed them cheese and kitten chow. In a couple weeks, we released them in the wild with five pounds of kitten chow to give them a head start. They looked and acted like kittens, but they did have stronger smell issues. That Cadillac never quite had that new car smell again, though small skunks do not spray.

We also catch and release critters in live traps, that may dig holes or become a nuisance. We take them for a ride and put them out a couple miles. We have two nice feral cats living with us now. Make nice house cats.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #12057

One of several yard diggers we move a few miles away further out into the country, each year. The non destructive wildlife, we support with food, water, salt blocks and shelter in a barn we leave open. Saw a huge eagle come out of the barn one morning with a wing spread wider that my arm reach.

forumrunner_20130401_083516.jpg

Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #12058

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
As much as possible, live in harmony with nature, don't sterilize it. If you want to be free of nature, might I suggest the 36th floor of some larger city.
I can live with the skunks if they don't wake me up every morning - - - I might be tempted to do the same with a 2 legged nuisance if I cannot reform it first.

The deer around here have figured that my German Shepherds will not cross my electric fence and will come and brose with in about 10’ of a pack of barking dogs. When they get that way I leave the gate open ( I have a 3 acre yard in the middle of a 300 acre farm ) and they get a rude lesson! It usually last about a year then I have to retrain the deer.

Skunks are the largest carrier of rabies in Indiana as well so they are not very welcome here.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 04-01-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #12059

Living with nature un-controlled is like living with rattle snakes in the yard - - - many say leave them alone and they will not strike. What happens when we get complacent and one of them takes offence?

Remember wolves and bears used to roam most of central America but for the betterment of both the human population and the wild life we have established boundaries.

Much like living with Devote Muslims in positions of authority in our government. How did that work on 9-11?

How many more lessons must we study before we realize all things in nature were not meant to live together?

God put us in charge and we need to take our responsibilities seriously - - - many seem to forget Sodom and Gomorra - - - if we do not learn from history we will have to suffer it for ourselves!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #12060

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post

Much like living with Devote Muslims in positions of authority in our government. How did that work on 9-11?
Lol

As kids, some spent too much time watching the propaganda films between the two main features. Some think Fort Knox is full of your gold reserves also.

Years ago, I hear a wreck outside my country home. A truck hit a male deer. This dear looked more like a moose for size. I did not know a deer could get that large. The deer did not die, and only had it bell rung pretty bad, among with a broken leg. Some breaks, in nature, heal. The truck drove off, going to get a gun. I went inside to get my 10mm.

When I came out, the deer was walking into the woods. I followed it, to see how it was doing. The deer was OK and I decided to leave him alone, when two pickups screech to a stop and about eight hunters enter the woods. It is 3am and a half moon gave off some light between clouds. I and the deer froze, and I realized I was on the deers side, and we were both hiding from the hunters. They were walking away from us, never came in our direction. I was close enough to touch the deer, on the other side of a tree for my protection, from the deer and the hunters. Once the hunters left, I watched the frightened deer look at me with golf ball sized eyes, saying thank you, and he slowly walked off into a tall corn field. Never saw him again.