Post a photo you've taken. Any photo. - Page 1039
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Post a photo you've taken. Any photo.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #10381
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

School project, hopefully soon to be hybrid ATV. Having some serious problems finding enough room for all the components. Our team has been joking about welding our planetary gearbox straight to the crankshaft, I'm starting to fear we'll actually have to do that to finish this in time

Old 01-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #10382
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3272 Times on 1814 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
School project, hopefully soon to be hybrid ATV. Having some serious problems finding enough room for all the components. Our team has been joking about welding our planetary gearbox straight to the crankshaft, I'm starting to fear we'll actually have to do that to finish this in time
That's way cool, but you guys can keep your hybrids. I'll stick with my diesels, they're simple and they make sense

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #10383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
That's way cool, but you guys can keep your hybrids. I'll stick with my diesels, they're simple and they make sense
Haha, it should have some of the tree hugging qualities in theory too, but the main point in replacing the CVT tranny is to get more power from the engine and make it run smoother. The CVT apparently can't handle all the engine is capable of in the lower rpm range.

Edit: I actually build diesel engines part-time, mainly for off-road use, at the R&D department of an engine manufacturer

Last edited by AleksiR; 01-26-2013 at 12:43 AM.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #10384

Liked 2459 Times on 1595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR
Primer like! Primer like! Hybrid how? Battery + gas?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #10385
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8279 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10706

Quote:

DO NOT weld or otherwise permanently attach the crankshaft to the drivetrain. It MUST be able to flex, otherwise you are building a failure into it. It will break right there. I guaran-damn-tee that.

Use a flex coupler of some sort, a Lovejoy coupler or other such device made for that purpose. http://www.drillspot.com/products/422740/Lovejoy_MDS63C_3_4x1_Motion_Control_Coupling?s=1&c atargetid=1623454804&gclid=CPjq-cH2hLUCFe5xQgodsy0A3g

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #10386

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Primer like! Primer like! Hybrid how? Battery + gas?
Yeah, battery+gas. The system uses two electric motors, from which the other one is ran as generator braking one of the planetary gearboxes axels (it has two output shafts). The energy from the generator is stored to a battery pack and from there it goes to the other electric motor which is connected (originally) to the rear axel via a belt drive. One of our tasks was to program a ECU for the system but we outsourced that to a bunch of guys studying automotive electronic design . The original idea was to use the planetary gearbox and the generator to continously adjust the final drive ratio (RWD only), but the ATV we got use for the project is 4WD, so the planetary gearbox and the electric motor will actually be running the transfer box. At this point we are not really sure if the whole franken-atv will even run, but one of the electronics guys who's also a member of our schools Formula Student project assured us it'll work. At this point we are just installing parts to the ATV and hoping for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
DO NOT weld or otherwise permanently attach the crankshaft to the drivetrain. It MUST be able to flex, otherwise you are building a failure into it. It will break right there. I guaran-damn-tee that.

Use a flex coupler of some sort, a Lovejoy coupler or other such device made for that purpose. http://www.drillspot.com/products/422740/Lovejoy_MDS63C_3_4x1_Motion_Control_Coupling?s=1&c atargetid=1623454804&gclid=CPjq-cH2hLUCFe5xQgodsy0A3g
Yeah, we know that. It was still a bit of a joke, but even if we did it this is still just an experimental project we've had to accomplish in a very short period of time and the construction is very different from what it was supposed to be so if it survives even to drive for a few hundred feet we are happy.

Another team from our class is building an engine which will have variable engine rpm, while the flywheel will run at a fixed rpm. How do you think that's gonna go?

Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #10387
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7108 Times on 4279 Posts
Likes Given: 8631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
In other news I HAVE MY 938 BACK!! And it works

Attachment 81712
Great news!! Now go shoot it and post a range report.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #10388
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

Great news!! Now go shoot it and post a range report.
Deal, next week when I get paid.

CA357 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #10389
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8279 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10706

Quote:
Yeah, battery+gas. The system uses two electric motors, from which the other one is ran as generator braking one of the planetary gearboxes axels (it has two output shafts). The energy from the generator is stored to a battery pack and from there it goes to the other electric motor which is connected (originally) to the rear axel via a belt drive. One of our tasks was to program a ECU for the system but we outsourced that to a bunch of guys studying automotive electronic design . The original idea was to use the planetary gearbox and the generator to continously adjust the final drive ratio (RWD only), but the ATV we got use for the project is 4WD, so the planetary gearbox and the electric motor will actually be running the transfer box. At this point we are not really sure if the whole franken-atv will even run, but one of the electronics guys who's also a member of our schools Formula Student project assured us it'll work. At this point we are just installing parts to the ATV and hoping for the best.

Yeah, we know that. It was still a bit of a joke, but even if we did it this is still just an experimental project we've had to accomplish in a very short period of time and the construction is very different from what it was supposed to be so if it survives even to drive for a few hundred feet we are happy.

Another team from our class is building an engine which will have variable engine rpm, while the flywheel will run at a fixed rpm. How do you think that's gonna go?
There are a number of ways to store energy, a flywheel being one of them, but that is difficult to implement both cheaply and easily. The problem you run into is how to get that energy to the wheels as efficiently as possible. Quite honestly the "best" (IMHO) way to configure things would be to run a gas or diesel powered generator that both charges batteries and powers the electric motor to drive the wheels. With electric controllers these days you can do away with the transmission entirely (except for reverse unless you are running a reversible motor = $$$$$). If you calculate things right, you can get away with a generator that provides only part of your peak desired power and batteries that do the same. The combination of both provide the peak power, but while cruising and just putting around you can run off of either the generator or the batteries, the other one kicking in only when needed.

Sounds pretty simple, eh?

Here is a project that I really enjoyed reading about- http://www.rockymountains.net/~m38mike/electrowillys.html

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #10390
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

There are a number of ways to store energy, a flywheel being one of them, but that is difficult to implement both cheaply and easily. The problem you run into is how to get that energy to the wheels as efficiently as possible. Quite honestly the "best" (IMHO) way to configure things would be to run a gas or diesel powered generator that both charges batteries and powers the electric motor to drive the wheels. With electric controllers these days you can do away with the transmission entirely (except for reverse unless you are running a reversible motor = $$$$$). If you calculate things right, you can get away with a generator that provides only part of your peak desired power and batteries that do the same. The combination of both provide the peak power, but while cruising and just putting around you can run off of either the generator or the batteries, the other one kicking in only when needed.

Sounds pretty simple, eh?

Here is a project that I really enjoyed reading about- http://www.rockymountains.net/~m38mike/electrowillys.html
Go confuse someone else. I like transmissions. Reverse is also very useful, trust me

Closed Thread