You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Post a photo you have taken, any photo (Part 2)


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2017, 03:41 AM   #4001
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 6,539
Liked 5717 Times on 3381 Posts
Likes Given: 29454

Default

5 days in, knee's still pretty swollen, and the bruise on the right arm is starting to lighten finally. Leather and insulation works pretty good when it comes to preventing abrasion, but bruising is non-negotiable. Knee hurts like hell, but the arm feels fine.
File Type: jpg IMGP0846.jpg (20.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0847.jpg (24.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0848.jpg (24.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0850.jpg (22.3 KB, 26 views)
__________________
Guns don't kill people. Blood loss and organ failure do.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
kfox75 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:05 AM   #4002
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dallas53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Piney Woods of Central East Texas
Posts: 3,826
Liked 4335 Times on 2523 Posts
Likes Given: 6731

Default

Dayem, Mr. Kfox! that looks like it might have hurt just a bit.

but the good news is you walked away only with some road rash and bruises. which i know you are surely glad for.

i use to get a chuckle out of seeing people wearing shorts, a tank top and flip flops riding a bike. ya know that road rash is going to be painful as hell!

but seriously, glad you only have some minor injuries, and were able to walk away.
__________________
"Blue Lives Matter"
Following The Rule Of Law, Oppose Sanctuary Cities, And Those Who Support Them.
NRA Member and Supporter. Join The NRA Today!
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
Dallas53 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:24 AM   #4003
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 6,539
Liked 5717 Times on 3381 Posts
Likes Given: 29454

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
Dayem, Mr. Kfox! that looks like it might have hurt just a bit.

but the good news is you walked away only with some road rash and bruises. which i know you are surely glad for.

i use to get a chuckle out of seeing people wearing shorts, a tank top and flip flops riding a bike. ya know that road rash is going to be painful as hell!

but seriously, glad you only have some minor injuries, and were able to walk away.
that makes 2 of us Dallas.

The guy who was t boned the day before mine passed over the weekend. While I was talking with the salesman and going over the numbers on the car I just leased, (2017 Hyundai Elantra) the memorial ride to the funeral home rode past us on State Street.one of those reminders of just how lucky I have gotten more times than I can count.

I still just shake my head and wonder what folks are thinking when I see someone ride by, him in shorts and a t shirt, sometimes with a female passenger in barely more than a bikini, no socks, and sneakers. A t shirt alone is about 8 feet beter than bare skin, jeans about 12 to 15, and leather tends to run out at about 20 to 25 feet depending on thickness. Bare skin is instant, and very painful, especially when they go about the process of scrubbing and picking the gravel out of the wound. BTDT.

Need;less to say, my minimum most of the time is a heavy denim shirt and jeans. there are places one never wants sand and gravel, if they are sane, and for some of us, there is only one way we learn. Experience. that wonderful thing we gain right after we really needed it.

Ans yes, sore as hell or not, i was right there in the procession today for a fallen rider, who would have given the shirt off his back, and all the money in his pocket, to another person who needed it more. I only knew him a little over a year, but he was a good man, who will be missed.
__________________
Guns don't kill people. Blood loss and organ failure do.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
kfox75 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #4004
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dallas53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Piney Woods of Central East Texas
Posts: 3,826
Liked 4335 Times on 2523 Posts
Likes Given: 6731

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
that makes 2 of us Dallas.

The guy who was t boned the day before mine passed over the weekend. While I was talking with the salesman and going over the numbers on the car I just leased, (2017 Hyundai Elantra) the memorial ride to the funeral home rode past us on State Street.one of those reminders of just how lucky I have gotten more times than I can count.

I still just shake my head and wonder what folks are thinking when I see someone ride by, him in shorts and a t shirt, sometimes with a female passenger in barely more than a bikini, no socks, and sneakers. A t shirt alone is about 8 feet beter than bare skin, jeans about 12 to 15, and leather tends to run out at about 20 to 25 feet depending on thickness. Bare skin is instant, and very painful, especially when they go about the process of scrubbing and picking the gravel out of the wound. BTDT.

Need;less to say, my minimum most of the time is a heavy denim shirt and jeans. there are places one never wants sand and gravel, if they are sane, and for some of us, there is only one way we learn. Experience. that wonderful thing we gain right after we really needed it.

Ans yes, sore as hell or not, i was right there in the procession today for a fallen rider, who would have given the shirt off his back, and all the money in his pocket, to another person who needed it more. I only knew him a little over a year, but he was a good man, who will be missed.
i know road rash is painful. i have had some myself. even with heavy denim and leather you will still get abrasions even if it doesn't go through the denim or leather. but bare skin and asphalt? not my idea of fun for sure.

i can remember about ten years ago, i was in the ER getting a huge cut on my hand stitched up that i got at work. it was in the mid afternoon and was relatively slow, and there were only a couple of other patients in the ER. well one was screaming and crying very loudly and i could hear him from the other side of the ER where i was. and he was screaming very loudly. i asked the nurse taking care of me about him. she said they were washing him off. at first i thought at the sound of his screaming and how loud it was, that maybe he was a burn victim. nope. he went down on his bike and slid about 100 feet or so and yep, shorts and a tank top. there ain't no painkillers for that kind of pain! i sure felt bad for the guy, but it was his own fault. i have been down a few times and thank God for leather.

i learned when i first started riding, there were two types of riders. those who have been down, and those who have yet to go down. if you ride long enough, it's inevitable it will happen at some point. bikes do have some advantages, but in an accident, even a minor one, you are at a disadvantage, and your best protection is a good helmet and leathers.
__________________
"Blue Lives Matter"
Following The Rule Of Law, Oppose Sanctuary Cities, And Those Who Support Them.
NRA Member and Supporter. Join The NRA Today!
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
Dallas53 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #4005
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 6,539
Liked 5717 Times on 3381 Posts
Likes Given: 29454

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
i know road rash is painful. i have had some myself. even with heavy denim and leather you will still get abrasions even if it doesn't go through the denim or leather. but bare skin and asphalt? not my idea of fun for sure.

i can remember about ten years ago, i was in the ER getting a huge cut on my hand stitched up that i got at work. it was in the mid afternoon and was relatively slow, and there were only a couple of other patients in the ER. well one was screaming and crying very loudly and i could hear him from the other side of the ER where i was. and he was screaming very loudly. i asked the nurse taking care of me about him. she said they were washing him off. at first i thought at the sound of his screaming and how loud it was, that maybe he was a burn victim. nope. he went down on his bike and slid about 100 feet or so and yep, shorts and a tank top. there ain't no painkillers for that kind of pain! i sure felt bad for the guy, but it was his own fault. i have been down a few times and thank God for leather.

i learned when i first started riding, there were two types of riders. those who have been down, and those who have yet to go down. if you ride long enough, it's inevitable it will happen at some point. bikes do have some advantages, but in an accident, even a minor one, you are at a disadvantage, and your best protection is a good helmet and leathers.
Reminds me of the T-Shirt I was wearing when I laid the last one down (79 XS Eleven Special), which read:

"It's not if. It's when, and how bad."

The EMTs that checked me out in the ambulance pointed out the irony, after I pulled the well worn jean jacket off for them to check my arms and my sides. (about 100 feet of roll, followed by about 30 feet of slide behind the bike. Went down at about 45 to 50 MPH.) So yes, I can also sympathize, to a point, with what thet guy must have felt like at that point, especially when they wouldn't be giving him anything other than a quick clean and assessment before the images of his internals come back from radiology.

About the only thing that works for that level of pain in a strong opiate like Delaudin for the instant re;lief, and Hydrocodone or Percocet for a couple hours. (had a skin graft in 2007. I have one hell of a pain tolerance, but that was in the top 4 of "Dear God Let Me DIE!" painful moments in my life.) Worst part is, how it feels the day after, and the day after, and so on. for about a week.

Right now, the swelling is way down in the knee, but it still hurts, especially when I trip and land on it, or put pressure on it. All in all, I'm in far better shape than I could have been, so I'll deal with it. Still have a half bottle of Percocets from the last amputation, but haven't hurt enough to need them. Saving them for an emergency, along with the wife's partial bottle of Hydrocone.

And by emergency I mean a broken arm, leg, things along that line, and the pharmacy id closed when we get sent home with a script. just like last time, I went home, and srubbed the gravel and sand out myself, cleaned it up with peroxide, and bandaged it with Neosporin. Just couldn't see the point of paying a $75 copay for torture I could do to myself for free.
__________________
Guns don't kill people. Blood loss and organ failure do.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
kfox75 is offline  
dwmiller Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
post a photo of your dream gun westley The Club House 54 12-10-2016 01:04 PM
Post a photo you've taken. Any photo. notdku The Club House 20681 06-17-2014 11:15 AM
One more photo jgoertz The Club House 3 11-30-2013 01:34 PM
Huffington Post Photo indy36 The Club House 6 03-10-2013 07:29 PM