Possibly Joining Military
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Possibly Joining Military

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Possibly Joining Military

So as the title says, i am debating on whether or not to join the military. The thing is, i have no idea where to even begin in deciding how to go about this, and I don't even know if i can join. I am well aware we have many people on here that have served, and i would greatly appreciate their input.

So if anybody could give me any sense of direction, such as, who to talk to, where to go, what to/not to do, thatd be just awesome.

Ill give a little background: I am a 21 year old who decided that engineering and paramedics werent for me. So now i live at home and work at a gas station. I dont want to sit around doing nothing, i want to take the initiative and make something happen. i love physical activity, challenges, and organization. If i join i want the opportunity to turn it into a career. The only major complication i have is that 3 years ago i tore my ACL, and had surgery to fix it and had major rehab to get me back on track. Im not sure if this would disqualify me or not.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #2

I deeply regret not going into the service when I was young enough. Good for you on wanting to join. I let my Dad (korean war vet) talk me out of it. I guess he was cold most of the time in Korea

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #3

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Go for it. My dad tried talking me out of it. He was a Marine Corps drill instructor with two tours in Vietnam. Not the easiest guy to grow up with by any means. But he always told me that all the military will teach you is how to eat $hit from a tin can while sleeping in a muddy ditch. I joined the Coast Guard. Still wish I'd have gone into the Navy. Still happy though.
Go for it.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 08-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

USMC and don't look back!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
USMC and don't look back!
weather your sending rounds down range or getting an asschewing.. its the only choice. 2004 to 2008

Old 08-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #6

While I see a lot of guys preaching USMC, you can see that I am in the Army. No matter which brach you decide to join, make sure you can pick your job BEFORE signing the contract. That way if you do decide that after your first enlistment the military is not for you, you have your training. Meaining pick a job that you will enjoy AND can use on the outside as a civilian. Lots of civilian companies like to hire the honorably discharged because they know we get good training.

The best person to talk to would be your local recruiter. I am sure you can find them on google maps fairly easy. And by all means if you have any questions I would be happy to help either here in the forum or as a private message.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #7

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Can i ask why USMC over the others? Im not opposed to it, i juat was wondering if there was a direct reason. The only thing i dont want to do is sit on a ship for 6 months at a time. Thanks for the support so far!

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 08-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

USAF the best of the Military.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #9

Here is the long and short of it......

The Marines think (and a lot are) that they are tougher than everyone else. Their jobs are going to be more combat oriented, since they share with the Navy.

The Army is great (come on, you know I had to say that) I have been in since 99 and plan on doing my 20 at least. They have a larger selection of jobs than the Marines do which means you can pic one to use as a civilian. Promotions in the Army and the Marines can go fairly quickly.

The Airforce PROMOTES VERY SLOW, but still has a good selection of jobs. They only deploy for 3-6 months at a time and don't go to the "field" at all.

I am honestly not too sure about the Navy, but since you don't want to be on a ship that's ok.

I am trying not to just preach the Army, but to give you an objective view so that you can make the best choice for YOU.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
Can i ask why USMC over the others? Im not opposed to it, i juat was wondering if there was a direct reason. The only thing i dont want to do is sit on a ship for 6 months at a time. Thanks for the support so far!
As others have posted: Talk to your local recruiters of all branches and decide which branch you think will best suit you. I am a US Navy Vet and served aboard a Destroyer for four years and I can assure you that Sailors don't sit aboard a ship regardless of how long you are aboard. There is little time for that.

Last edited by Retcop; 08-10-2011 at 02:11 AM.