POS truck problems - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

POS truck problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Sooo did you do anything to this before the problem started ? did it come on all of a sudden or gradual over time ?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #52

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz
Sooo did you do anything to this before the problem started ? did it come on all of a sudden or gradual over time ?
It's been like this for a while but it's slowly been getting worse over time. It's just gotten bad enough that I have to do something about it...I really don't wanna bring it to someone but I know when and if I hit something it'll cost me more anyway lol
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36
Just a thought. Maybe the hoses on the front brakes have gone soft?
What do you mean by that and how can I tell?
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1084 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
What do you mean by that and how can I tell?
I was just thinking that possibly one or more of the flexible brake hoses going to the wheel cylinders has deteriorated, allowing them to expand when the brake pedal is pushed. The result would be the same as if there was air in the lines….a soft pedal.

Just a close look might show something not right….maybe cracks in the rubber. Or have someone watch or feel the lines while you jam the brake pedal hard.

Some of your symptoms might exclude this possibility. But like I said…it’s a thought.

Good luck!

ellis

Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36

I was just thinking that possibly one or more of the flexible brake hoses going to the wheel cylinders has deteriorated, allowing them to expand when the brake pedal is pushed. The result would be the same as if there was air in the lines….a soft pedal.

Just a close look might show something not right….maybe cracks in the rubber. Or have someone watch or feel the lines while you jam the brake pedal hard.

Some of your symptoms might exclude this possibility. But like I said…it’s a thought.

Good luck!

ellis
Thanks for the input ill definitely check that out today when I get gome
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 04-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #56

Liked 949 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post

Good luck!

ellis
A good thought... Had the same problem with one of my IH's.. If you do replace the brake hoses, DO all of them...

some other things to check... Are your wheel cylinders leaking?

Did you adjust the linkage on the master cylinder when you installed it?

I put a new one in my scout not long ago, I didnt adjust the linkage right and my brakes are soft... (Ive been lazy and havent re-adjusted it yet )

Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #57

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
I was just thinking that possibly one or more of the flexible brake hoses going to the wheel cylinders has deteriorated
Their suppost to be wire mess reinforced to stop that from happening, that's why they charge $25.00 each for one of those hoses. Unless someone just took a regular hose and cut a piece to fit? You should have two lines coming off the master cyclinder, can you clamp them to see if it is the front or back brakes that are causing you problems? On a DRY piece of road can you see any brake fluid leaks on the ground to tell if it a leaking wheel cyclinder and which one? I had a van that started to leak on the brake line going to the back, the actual metal line rusted out causing only half the brake system to work and kept loosing brake fluid that had to be replaced.

You need to identify WHERE the problem is. Generally that can be done by looking for brake fluid on the ground. If no leaks, then your truck is haunted and you need a exorcist or a native american shaman to get the bad spirits out. (LOL)

Jim

Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #58

Liked 949 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Their suppost to be wire mess reinforced to stop that from happening, that's why they charge $25.00 each for one of those hoses. Unless someone just took a regular hose and cut a piece to fit?
All the ones Ive seen on my old cars just have a cloth mesh in them, and can stretch....

Old 04-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim

Their suppost to be wire mess reinforced to stop that from happening, that's why they charge $25.00 each for one of those hoses. Unless someone just took a regular hose and cut a piece to fit? You should have two lines coming off the master cyclinder, can you clamp them to see if it is the front or back brakes that are causing you problems? On a DRY piece of road can you see any brake fluid leaks on the ground to tell if it a leaking wheel cyclinder and which one? I had a van that started to leak on the brake line going to the back, the actual metal line rusted out causing only half the brake system to work and kept loosing brake fluid that had to be replaced.

You need to identify WHERE the problem is. Generally that can be done by looking for brake fluid on the ground. If no leaks, then your truck is haunted and you need a exorcist or a native american shaman to get the bad spirits out. (LOL)

Jim
It being haunted is a definite possibility...it leaks oil one day and leaks antifreeze the next...then the brakes go, then it's all normal for a few weeks lol
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Does this have any sort of abs , I would guess no by the pic but hard to tell year. Does it pull one way or the other when you brake ??

First off, look at the firewall around where the brake booster mounts and be sure it isn't cracked. That vintage has a lot of problems with cracks there though it usually affects the manual trans models due to it being closer to the clutch pedal side.

Second make sure all your mechanical stuff is in order, no frozen wheel cylinders, make sure your front pads are not frozen in the mounts ( also very very common ) Take them right out and make sure they can move back and forth freely where the ears slide in the steering knuckle. I have seen many frozen brake parts act like air in a line due to a caliper flexing or a frozen pin.

Look your brake lines over and make sure none have been pinched anywhere so one is restricted.

Look that over and and let us know.
Trez Likes This