POS truck problems
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > POS truck problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default POS truck problems

So if any of you saw any of my posts in the wacky hobbies thread you know I've been having trouble with my brake system and my radiator. As for the radiator I'm going to do a pressure test and find out where my leak is. Ill post with results there another day. By the way this truck is a love hate thing and I can't bring myself to sell it haha

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #2

Liked 367 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
So if any of you saw any of my posts in the wacky hobbies thread you know I've been having trouble with my brake system and my radiator. As for the radiator I'm going to do a pressure test and find out where my leak is. Ill post with results there another day. By the way this truck is a love hate thing and I can't bring myself to sell it haha
Shoot it at the range!

Not but good luck on the tests. Hope it all works out!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #3

Oh and as for the brake system it gets worse when it's cold but if said I could stop on a dime is be lying...big time haha. It takes me a few seconds after slamming the brake pedal (like trying to stop before running into the back of someone ) and if I pump the pedal it gets hard as a rock and it won't even slow down for a couple seconds before eventually creeping to a stop. I checked my brake pads by poking my head in behind the tire on my front (disk) brakes and they seem to have a good amount left on them. I have yet to have a warm day here in New York to set aside to get in there and look at them. Also a few months ago I had my rear (drum) brakes off and I really can't be sure if I adjusted them back out far enough. From what I understand the majority of the braking power comes from the front brakes but I figure while I have my brake system under construction why not look at them as well. Also I'm pretty sure that I have a leak somewhere, any tips on how to go about tracking it down?....whew talk about sore fingers that was a damn essay lol

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx

Shoot it at the range!

Not but good luck on the tests. Hope it all works out!
Lol maybe ill send it to iraqveteran8888 and have the destruction of it go viral

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #5

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Tnarg what model and year is your truck?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
Oh and as for the brake system it gets worse when it's cold but if said I could stop on a dime is be lying...big time haha. It takes me a few seconds after slamming the brake pedal (like trying to stop before running into the back of someone ) and if I pump the pedal it gets hard as a rock and it won't even slow down for a couple seconds before eventually creeping to a stop. I checked my brake pads by poking my head in behind the tire on my front (disk) brakes and they seem to have a good amount left on them. I have yet to have a warm day here in New York to set aside to get in there and look at them. Also a few months ago I had my rear (drum) brakes off and I really can't be sure if I adjusted them back out far enough. From what I understand the majority of the braking power comes from the front brakes but I figure while I have my brake system under construction why not look at them as well. Also I'm pretty sure that I have a leak somewhere, any tips on how to go about tracking it down?....whew talk about sore fingers that was a damn essay lol
either a leak or an internal leak within the master cylinder is possible. first place to start would be to thoroughly was all the brake lines and all brake components with hot pressurized water. water will break down and clean all the brake fluidif present and the hot water will clean any greasy dirt to help in locating the leaks if there are any. now if the master cylinder is leaking internally and can have the same symptoms as a leak, but cna be internal and not be seen. if you have eliminated any external leaks, then possibly the master cylinder is the problem.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #7

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Axxe is right on with that but also what could be causing the hard pedal is the brake booster if your truck has one. It could be an internal vacuum leak in the diaphragm or a leaking vacuum hose that goes to it from the engine. Does the engine run smooth at idle? If the master cylinder leaks fluid into the booster it will eat up the diaphragm as brake fluid is kind of corrosive.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
Axxe is right on with that but also what could be causing the hard pedal is the brake booster if your truck has one. It could be an internal vacuum leak in the diaphragm or a leaking vacuum hose that goes to it from the engine. Does the engine run smooth at idle? If the master cylinder leaks fluid into the booster it will eat up the diaphragm as brake fluid is kind of corrosive.
an easy way to check for a vacuum leak internally within the booster is to step on the brake pedal with the engine idling and in park or neutral and see if there is any change in RPM's.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

assuming you already bled the system to make sure there is no air/water in it, pump the brakes a few times until the pedal is firm,then hold it down as hard as you can for ~30 seconds.if it goes down at all over that 30 seconds then you have a leak somewhere,or an internal leak in the master cylinder.

your pads may have a lot left ,but they could be glazed over.the right way to fix this is to get new pads and get the rotors turned,but some people "deglaze" with light grit sand paper.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America,and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Last edited by subie-jeep; 02-20-2013 at 05:11 AM.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 799 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie-jeep View Post
your pads may have a lot left ,but they could be glazed over.the right way to fix this is to get new pads and get the rotors turned,but some people "deglaze" with light grit sand paper.
Check out the pistons in your calipers, too. They may be all ‘gooped’ up with old brake fluid.