Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   POS truck problems (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/pos-truck-problems-84655/)

longunner 02-20-2013 01:37 AM

POS truck problems

So if any of you saw any of my posts in the wacky hobbies thread you know I've been having trouble with my brake system and my radiator. As for the radiator I'm going to do a pressure test and find out where my leak is. Ill post with results there another day. By the way this truck is a love hate thing and I can't bring myself to sell it haha

molonlabexx 02-20-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNARG (Post 1145033)
So if any of you saw any of my posts in the wacky hobbies thread you know I've been having trouble with my brake system and my radiator. As for the radiator I'm going to do a pressure test and find out where my leak is. Ill post with results there another day. By the way this truck is a love hate thing and I can't bring myself to sell it haha

Shoot it at the range! :D

Not but good luck on the tests. Hope it all works out!

longunner 02-20-2013 01:46 AM

Oh and as for the brake system it gets worse when it's cold but if said I could stop on a dime is be lying...big time haha. It takes me a few seconds after slamming the brake pedal (like trying to stop before running into the back of someone :eek:) and if I pump the pedal it gets hard as a rock and it won't even slow down for a couple seconds before eventually creeping to a stop. I checked my brake pads by poking my head in behind the tire on my front (disk) brakes and they seem to have a good amount left on them. I have yet to have a warm day here in New York to set aside to get in there and look at them. Also a few months ago I had my rear (drum) brakes off and I really can't be sure if I adjusted them back out far enough. From what I understand the majority of the braking power comes from the front brakes but I figure while I have my brake system under construction why not look at them as well. Also I'm pretty sure that I have a leak somewhere, any tips on how to go about tracking it down?....whew talk about sore fingers that was a damn essay lol :cool:

longunner 02-20-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molonlabexx

Shoot it at the range! :D

Not but good luck on the tests. Hope it all works out!

Lol maybe ill send it to iraqveteran8888 and have the destruction of it go viral :eek:

Devin556 02-20-2013 02:12 AM

Tnarg what model and year is your truck?

Axxe55 02-20-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNARG (Post 1145051)
Oh and as for the brake system it gets worse when it's cold but if said I could stop on a dime is be lying...big time haha. It takes me a few seconds after slamming the brake pedal (like trying to stop before running into the back of someone :eek:) and if I pump the pedal it gets hard as a rock and it won't even slow down for a couple seconds before eventually creeping to a stop. I checked my brake pads by poking my head in behind the tire on my front (disk) brakes and they seem to have a good amount left on them. I have yet to have a warm day here in New York to set aside to get in there and look at them. Also a few months ago I had my rear (drum) brakes off and I really can't be sure if I adjusted them back out far enough. From what I understand the majority of the braking power comes from the front brakes but I figure while I have my brake system under construction why not look at them as well. Also I'm pretty sure that I have a leak somewhere, any tips on how to go about tracking it down?....whew talk about sore fingers that was a damn essay lol :cool:

either a leak or an internal leak within the master cylinder is possible. first place to start would be to thoroughly was all the brake lines and all brake components with hot pressurized water. water will break down and clean all the brake fluidif present and the hot water will clean any greasy dirt to help in locating the leaks if there are any. now if the master cylinder is leaking internally and can have the same symptoms as a leak, but cna be internal and not be seen. if you have eliminated any external leaks, then possibly the master cylinder is the problem.

Devin556 02-20-2013 02:27 AM

Axxe is right on with that but also what could be causing the hard pedal is the brake booster if your truck has one. It could be an internal vacuum leak in the diaphragm or a leaking vacuum hose that goes to it from the engine. Does the engine run smooth at idle? If the master cylinder leaks fluid into the booster it will eat up the diaphragm as brake fluid is kind of corrosive.

Axxe55 02-20-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devin556 (Post 1145131)
Axxe is right on with that but also what could be causing the hard pedal is the brake booster if your truck has one. It could be an internal vacuum leak in the diaphragm or a leaking vacuum hose that goes to it from the engine. Does the engine run smooth at idle? If the master cylinder leaks fluid into the booster it will eat up the diaphragm as brake fluid is kind of corrosive.

an easy way to check for a vacuum leak internally within the booster is to step on the brake pedal with the engine idling and in park or neutral and see if there is any change in RPM's.

subie-jeep 02-20-2013 04:08 AM

assuming you already bled the system to make sure there is no air/water in it, pump the brakes a few times until the pedal is firm,then hold it down as hard as you can for ~30 seconds.if it goes down at all over that 30 seconds then you have a leak somewhere,or an internal leak in the master cylinder.

your pads may have a lot left ,but they could be glazed over.the right way to fix this is to get new pads and get the rotors turned,but some people "deglaze" with light grit sand paper.

ellis36 02-20-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subie-jeep (Post 1145271)
your pads may have a lot left ,but they could be glazed over.the right way to fix this is to get new pads and get the rotors turned,but some people "deglaze" with light grit sand paper.

Check out the pistons in your calipers, too. They may be all ‘gooped’ up with old brake fluid.