Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Portable ice makers, any exp.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1677 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 851

Default Portable ice makers, any exp.?

In my move I'm leaving a 'fridge with all the bells and whistles and getting the cheapest, most basic , rental unit 'fridge you can envision.
Hence, I've been looking at ice makers. I have lots of experience with commercial and undercounter installed units, but I see there are new little units that you "plug and pour".
Anyone have any experience with these little rascals?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 612 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 352

I've been using one for 7 years or so. The ice-making system in my refrigerator went bonkers and it was cheaper to buy an ice-maker than fix the 'frig. Edgestar is the company that made mine. Also I have a small one for a spare. They are a solid device, with the exception that they use microswitches for the ice dump cycle functions. The switches can possibly cause flaky performance sometimes. I've had to adjust the switch positions once and I replaced the plastic 'ice bucket' once. The ice is dumped by a small motor and the plastic coupling broke. The refrigeration system has been faultless. Parts are readily available from the company, as is service info, complete with pictures as to how to replace various components.
I have the model IP200 SS, which has been replaced by the IP220 SS. It will make ice in just a few minutes, and keep making it until the container is full.

http://www.edgestar.com/ice-makers/Appliances-Ice_Makers,default,sc.html

Old 09-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I probably should have added that there are several cheaper sources for these than Edgestar….catalogs, amazon.com and such. Apparently whatever (Chinese) company manufactures them sells them under other brand names but they all seem to be pretty much the same device. However, there are also several sizes so the low-price ones are usually the smaller ones.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6636 Times on 4015 Posts
Likes Given: 7888

My fridge/freezer doesn't have an ice maker at all. Just a basic fridge/freezer. I just buy 7 lb bags of ice. I go absolutely crazy if I don't have ice. I have my favorites brands, too.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

For about six months after our 'fridge quit making ice I bought ice and kept the ice dispenser filled. Kept the spare ice in the deep freeze…. but then I found a good deal on the portable ice maker we have now. It's worked out well.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My fridge/freezer doesn't have an ice maker at all. Just a basic fridge/freezer. I just buy 7 lb bags of ice. I go absolutely crazy if I don't have ice. I have my favorites brands, too.
The right brand of ice can taste soooo good! I thought I was the only one that was an "ice connoisseur."

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #7

I used to buy bags, but I found that I didn't use enough and it got funky sitting in the freezer so long. It also takes up a lot of room in a smaller freezer section.
I think one of these little units is the way to go for me.
The ones I've seen have drain for melting ice. Do they make them with a refered container to keep ice frozen?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
I think one of these little units is the way to go for me.
The ones I've seen have drain for melting ice. Do they make them with a refered container to keep ice frozen?
With these, you just pour the water into the compartment…in the same compartment there is a ice basket that receives the ice cubes. As the unused cubes melt, the water drips down and is recycled. The ice compartment isn't refrigerated so the ice cubes don't keep very long. As they melt, the unit makes more. The only refrigeration is the tubes that make the cubes. The drain at the side is just for when you want to remove the water when it's not being used.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:33 AM   #9

ellis, thanks. That answers a question that the manufactuers don't really make clear.
I can live with the recycled cubes for a day. I thought that when they melted, they were gone and flooding the unit. A potential problem when you work 12 hr days.
WTF don't any of the producers make this clear?

Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
WTF don't any of the producers make this clear?
Good question!
There is some insulation in the unit that slows the melting of the ice…something like a cheap six-pack cooler. Since the larger units hold more ice they are probably a little more efficient than the smaller ones. There is a temperature sensor that detects when the ice basket is full and stops the process. They do make ice fast! Mine holds about a gallon of water. The ice basket holds about the equivalent of a half bag of ice.